Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

The club hierarchy is deluded if they think this list is top 8 quality. They’re not. Hird took the club to its knees (they still haven’t recovered) and was afforded far more latitude and understanding than Worsfold has been. In some ways they haven’t recovered since the saga, yet Woosha is expected to have a top 4 quality finish (despite lack of a top 8 midfield, ruckman, and a perennially injured KPF). It’s mindboggling.

Apart from McGrath, not much young talent either. Some blokes who look like they'll become good solid players - Guelfi, Redman, Clarke - but no really top end young talent a la Rozee, Walsh, Thomas, Smith etc.

Woosha is an easy target because he is from the Perth.

The Melbourne media mafia love to sink the boots in to 'outsiders'.

The cold hard reality is the Bombers list is bog ordinary. Too many hacks. Mark Baguely gets a game for god's sake.

Yet the fans and Bombers people seem to think they have a great list and Woosha is holding them back.

Delusional.

Oh for God's sake get over your obsession with Melbourne.

Watson and co did exactly this to Knights, and he's from Mildura.

It is all about the Essendon Media Mafia and the powerbrokers delusions as to where they are at.

Bombers list has very little growth left in it too. No first round pick,Smith's knee looks like being a long term issue.all the youth playing atm look at best b grade talent..

Pull the pin and back in a new coach like Robert Harvey

Out of pure boredom it'd be fun to get a new coach.

I don't feel like it's something we have to do until the end of the year.

Who are the 7?
Lets go through them.

Hooker - Good player.
Hurley - Good player

Then what?

Heppell - good solid trier.

Thats 3....

Who are the other 4?

Shiel? - Good player. Not a star though.

Then who?

Please dont say Zaharakis? He is awful. Had one good game 10 years ago

Who else am I missing?

Forgetting Merrett??? He's their best player by a long way. Crazy that you didn't remember him, haha

And this man not only survives but now sits on the board and will have a say in the coaches future ...

View attachment 698099

Sixteen years without a finals win with the teams this man has assembled.
But it’s John’s fault now ...

Deadset, footy's greatest mystery.

Does he have photos of David Evans and Paul Little spit roasting a goat or something?

Apart from McGrath, not much young talent either. Some blokes who look like they'll become good solid players - Guelfi, Redman, Clarke - but no really top end young talent a la Rozee, Walsh, Thomas, Smith etc.

Aaron Francis? Merrett is still only 23? Parish and Ridley look likely too. Not all doom and gloom, but a fair few list cloggers too. If they do a clean out and get in some free agents for needed positions, definitely a team that could rise up the ranks pretty quickly

Aaron Francis? Merrett is still only 23? Parish and Ridley look likely too. Not all doom and gloom, but a fair few list cloggers too. If they do a clean out and get in some free agents for needed positions, definitely a team that could rise up the ranks pretty quickly

Yeah, I meant emerging, like last two years, talent.

Francis and Parish have been around for a while and when you look at blokes who went either side of them - Clayton Oliver and Jacob Hopper - you realise just how much they're stagnated.

Both have shown significant signs, but haven't produced that consistently.

Yeah, I meant emerging, like last two years, talent.

Francis and Parish have been around for a while and when you look at blokes who went either side of them - Clayton Oliver and Jacob Hopper - you realise just how much they're stagnated.

Both have shown significant signs, but haven't produced that consistently.

Parish has probably had the best month of his career to date but otherwise yes.

I can't see Worsfold being replaced by Hird or Bomber Thomson
Thompson, isn't he facing drug charges in court? Hird, well let's not talk about drugs there!

Worsfold, got them to just a single embarrassing final in 2017, added four quality players at great expense of ND picks and gone backwards since

Parish has probably had the best month of his career to date but otherwise yes.

Agreed, he's looking good now he's finally being played in position.

FWIW - I'd have either at North in a flash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson, isn't he facing drug charges in court? Hird, well let's not talk about drugs there!

Worsfold, got them to just a single embarrassing final in 2017, added four quality players at great expense of ND picks and gone backwards since

This is an issue for them - no picks to try and quickly reshape the list

Yet the fans and Bombers people seem to think they have a great list and Woosha is holding them back.
I think you’re confusing the media hype with the fans. I don’t know of any Essendon fan who thinks they have a great list. By suggesting the side is underperforming is not the same as suggesting he, Worsfold, has a great list at his disposal.

The reality is there aren’t many great lists at the moment, in fact, the competition is very even with the exception of maybe 4-5 clubs at either end of the ladder.

Enough talent around to become a competitive 4 quarter team, Work rate a big issue, leadership a big issue.

Is Worsfold to blame? of course but he's not alone the entire club has issues still, Business wise the club is thriving the football department from top to bottom has problems.

Worsfold has a fetish to play experienced players over youth and that will be his major downfall IMO.

No, he'll get knifed in the back like Knights did.

Why are there people who still think Knights should have stayed on as Essendon coach? The Bombers had a 25-1-41 record (and an overall percentage of 85.03) under Knights, and one of the most undeserving finals appearances (10 wins and a draw? Please!) and embarrassing finals exits of all time in the middle. They were going nowhere and doing nothing under him.

Why are there people who still think Knights should have stayed on as Essendon coach? The Bombers had a 25-1-41 record (and an overall percentage of 85.03) under Knights, and one of the most undeserving finals appearances (10 wins and a draw? Please!) and embarrassing finals exits of all time in the middle. They were going nowhere and doing nothing under him.

It’s hilarious.

Knights was a terrible senior coach. People (mainly Richmond supporters) somehow think it’s not the case.

It's more of a case that he got white-anted for someone who almost destroyed the club. Agree though that the sacking wasn't the problem but the replacement was.

EDIT: I think I've also seen people unironically argue it was harsh to sack Neeld. Admittedly a very small proportion in contrast to the Knights defenders.

Not to mention what he did to the last 2 years of one of the games great full forwards...

I’ve never seen Essendon play a worse, more unaccountable brand of footy. And I’ve seen some shit Essendon sides!

How about the day he thought he’d leave LeCras in the forward 50 on his own, matched by midfielder Heath Hocking. LeCras kicks 12 goals and we get done comfortably. No change made for four quarters. “I was happy with how the game went, we could outscore them.”

He was off the planet.

Their inconsistency is the coaches fault though. There is zero reason why Essendon can look a billion dollars one game and then the next ultra crap. They have the talent. There are much less talented sides out there who have accomplished far more.

I just think Worsfold isn’t getting enough out of his player group. Look at how at the Richmond or Sydney players are. Those are examples of good coaches.
I must have missed the game when Essendon looked a billion dollars.

I’ve never seen Essendon play a worse, more unaccountable brand of footy. And I’ve seen some **** Essendon sides!

How about the day he thought he’d leave LeCras in the forward 50 on his own, matched by midfielder Heath Hocking. LeCras kicks 12 goals and we get done comfortably. No change made for four quarters. “I was happy with how the game went, we could outscore them.”

He was off the planet.
It was for the club to build resilience...

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back