Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

I must have missed the game when Essendon looked a billion dollars.
Probably the second half of last year is a better example. To be honest we haven’t got off the ground at all this year. Not good enough, bad coaching, whatever anyone’s opinion is. Maybe for 2.5 quarters against Collingwood we played an exciting type of football but we couldn’t take our chances cos we don’t have the skills to execute the “one trick pony” game plan.

There have been patches in games where we look ok but that’s what being mediocre is.

Woosha is an easy target because he is from the Perth.

The Melbourne media mafia love to sink the boots in to 'outsiders'.

The cold hard reality is the Bombers list is bog ordinary. Too many hacks. Mark Baguely gets a game for god's sake.

Yet the fans and Bombers people seem to think they have a great list and Woosha is holding them back.

Delusional.
I think there's a bit of truth to this, although perhaps moreso they're more sympathetic towards media friendly coaches (Brad Scott) as opposed to people like Worsfold who seem to keep media appearances to a minimum (surprised Worsfold appeared on The Front Bar last year).

Yes

Wonder why?
67878bf51ad87d96ea16efb9f799aac2dd0c5a7e

yeh Lloyd and Woosha played tho?

Don't know about Worsfold but Lloydy didn't play and wasn't drafted at that stage.

I've no knowledge of any rift with Lloyd and Worsfold and doubt there is even one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson, isn't he facing drug charges in court? Hird, well let's not talk about drugs there!

Worsfold, got them to just a single embarrassing final in 2017, added four quality players at great expense of ND picks and gone backwards since
Surely that should be an argument for giving Dodoro the @rse instead of Woosha. He’s been list manager for 9 years now, when (bar the first half of 2012 & 2013, when they were disqualified from finals) they’ve been bog average.

Thompson, isn't he facing drug charges in court? Hird, well let's not talk about drugs there!

Worsfold, got them to just a single embarrassing final in 2017, added four quality players at great expense of ND picks and gone backwards since
I'd blame Dodoro, not Woosh.

But, as with Carlton and Silvagni, Dodo will escape blameless.

Backline
FB: Ambrose Hurley Saad
HB: McKenna Hooker Redman
i/c Zaharakis

Depth: Francis, Ridley, Hartley, Zerk-Thatcher, Gleeson

That's got skill, pace, a couple of big tall pillars and a decent 3rd tall with flexibility. That's a finals quality backline, probably in the 4-8th range.

Midfield
C: Heppell Merrett McGrath
Foll: Bellchambers Shiel Smith
Int: Guelfi, Langford, Parish
Depth: Clarke, Myers, Mutch

Smith out for the year is a blow but I still think it's a decent midfield group. Shiel and Merrett are a very good 1-2 punch of quick running mids. Then McGrath as a number 1 pick ready to break out is a nice 3rd option who can be moved around based on team needs. Bellchambers above average ruck. Parish is trending upwards. Depth is pretty average but overall I'd say it's a 6-12th based midfield for a coach to work with.

Forwards
HF: AMT Brown? Resting mid/Begley?
FF: Fantasia Daniher Stringer
Int: Begley/Laverde?
Depth: McKernan, Baguley, Stewart

Clearly a Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia, McDonald-Tippa group of 4 forwards is super dangerous. The question is what's left after that? If Brown can do his lead up role on a weaker defender and one of Begley or Laverde provide a nice medium hybrid player plus rotating a midfielder through you've got a good forward line.

With Daniher done for the year, Stringer out and Fantasia being in and out you're getting nothing from the 3 guys who can really make an impact.

At full strength I think the Bombers are 4-10th best forward line, without Daniher that comes back to maybe 6-12th if Stringer and Fantasia can be at their best. Without those two doing well it's clearly below a finals team.

So all up you've got:
- Above average backline
- Average midfield with pros and cons
- A potentially good forward line that due to injury is more likely average but even below that for now.

List wise Essendon have enough to push for finals but not automatically. With good or bad coaching they should hover around the equal wins/losses ratio.

If I were an Essendon fan I'd want to see the team play better on days when it's not their night, with more substance and energy.

But I'd also be thinking list wise about Redman (2015: 30), Ridley (2016: 22), Langford (2014: 17), Laverde (2014: 20), Begley (2016: 31). (And that's without mentioning Francis and Parish)

If Essendon want to be a better team with more depth, more grunt, more skill there's 5 guys taken in top 31 picks in their 3rd-5th seasons - the prime years to make a leap from good VFL players who show flashes to serious AFL players. Redman's had a good break out year. Langford's showed some flashes this year. Begley's doing well coming back from injury.

As a group though I think they've been disappointing and the question probably is: Are they up to it or is Worsfold holding them back? Because by trading a lot of picks the last couple of years they are really the guys who have to take Essendon forward.
That’s an incredibly well balanced post about us. Why are you on here? :p

Half of me says we are under performing for a team that has invested heavily in the draft and trades since 2014.
The other half looks at the injuries plaguing our forward line and wonders how we’ve won a game this year.
Meanwhile we could field 2 backlines with the depth we have there

We won’t make finals, but i think Woosha deserves another year and some luck (injuries happen, but perhaps let’s spread them across the positions).

I’d be reviewing our fitness staff though

Why are there people who still think Knights should have stayed on as Essendon coach? The Bombers had a 25-1-41 record (and an overall percentage of 85.03) under Knights, and one of the most undeserving finals appearances (10 wins and a draw? Please!) and embarrassing finals exits of all time in the middle. They were going nowhere and doing nothing under him.
nah, come on man. Knights was a gun coach. Really hard done by
Except no club since 2010 has thought to give him the job since....

we were terrible under him. Less terrible under Hird. Less terrible since under Woosha.
But we really should be better. Its not the talent on the list. the standards are too low. We seem to accept mediocrity....and have done so for quite some time.

Don't know about Worsfold but Lloydy didn't play and wasn't drafted at that stage.

I've no knowledge of any rift with Lloyd and Worsfold and doubt there is even one.

Got anything from before 2018, when Essendon weren’t performing poorly?

There’s zero evidence he has anything personal against Worsfold. It simply reflects the opinion many have had after a poor 2018 and poor 2019 to date.

And of course there’s a number of quotes, former club greats are always asked about their former clubs a lot.

To answer the OP’s question - Worsfold is history. It’s just a matter of when this year. You can’t have “favourite sons” of Essendon bagging Worsfold in the media and expect him to survive

List isn’t great but he is technically inept and stubborn. I’d be happy for him to be gone today and take Harvey and that loser Skipworth with him

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back