Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure he is only in year 11 this year. Turns 18 in December so should be in year 12.
Pretty sure he was year 10 last year. It is not uncommon for parents to hold there kids back rather than being the very youngest in the class. (Many boys private schools have a Jan 1 cut off in Junior school)

Didn't see said deleted post, so I'll just move this conversation along.

Would like to point out that when deciding whether to match a bid on SOSOS this year, we most likely won't be able to base the decision on who else we could take instead.

If someone bids pick 48, and our next pick is 57, we can't knock him back on the basis that there are still 2, 3 or even 8 kids we rate higher than him. Between pick 48 and 57 every one of those kids could be selected by other teams, and we end up with an even worse prospect.

The only way the club can approach this is by the numbers. Determine how early a pick we're willing to match, and stick by it. If that number is 40, and someone bids at 38, sorry pal but we're not taking you. Anything else raises serious questions about the integrity of our recruiting team, and is the exact reason SOS has removed himself from any conversations around whether his kids get drafted.

That all being said, I can't see how we'd take anyone else with our 4th rounder or later - anyone at that end of the draft has big question marks over aspects of their game, so if we can guarantee the kid we get is going to be dedicated to the club and will work their arse off for the chance to play, take the committed kid.

Why because I won't divulge the content of the deleted post.

In all honesty jimsta, you don't want to know.

Now I'm off for some retail therapy. :p
Give her 10 to pull out of the garage and we can get down to the cussing, bikinis and grog, boys. Am I right?

Didn't see said deleted post, so I'll just move this conversation along.

Would like to point out that when deciding whether to match a bid on SOSOS this year, we most likely won't be able to base the decision on who else we could take instead.

If someone bids pick 48, and our next pick is 57, we can't knock him back on the basis that there are still 2, 3 or even 8 kids we rate higher than him. Between pick 48 and 57 every one of those kids could be selected by other teams, and we end up with an even worse prospect.

The only way the club can approach this is by the numbers. Determine how early a pick we're willing to match, and stick by it. If that number is 40, and someone bids at 38, sorry pal but we're not taking you. Anything else raises serious questions about the integrity of our recruiting team, and is the exact reason SOS has removed himself from any conversations around whether his kids get drafted.

That all being said, I can't see how we'd take anyone else with our 4th rounder or later - anyone at that end of the draft has big question marks over aspects of their game, so if we can guarantee the kid we get is going to be dedicated to the club and will work their arse off for the chance to play, take the committed kid.
The question I have is that if a team bids pick 40, then isn't that what he is worth? Surely we don't believe that someone would bid on him just to make us take him with a later pick? If we rate him as pick 80 and another team rates him as an unadulterated pick 40, do we not pause to question our ability to rate talent?

Does anyone believe that pick 80 is truly more speculative than pick 50? The chance of success at that point is pretty low...

(Unless of course we know he is rubbish, which means surely we won't bid at all...)

The question I have is that if a team bids pick 40, then isn't that what he is worth? Surely we don't believe that someone would bid on him just to make us take him with a later pick? If we rate him as pick 80 and another team rates him as an unadulterated pick 40, do we not pause to question our ability to rate talent?

Does anyone believe that pick 80 is truly more speculative than pick 50? The chance of success at that point is pretty low...

(Unless of course we know he is rubbish, which means surely we won't bid at all...)

Probably a few things that would be factored in - ability, personality, leadership, motivation, position. As a potential KPP, and given our lack of said types, I'm sure he'd be rated higher with us than a team like GWS.

Flip it to Bailey Rice though - we need talls, so we may well place Bailey around pick 35 for us in value, whereas a team like St Kilda, or Collingwood, or Essendon, might have him at 25 based on what their teams require. Just cause they offer a pick around 25 doesn't mean he's worth us reaching for.

Ultimately though, as you said in your post as well - once you get past pick 50 everyone's got deficiencies. For me, I don't see why we wouldn't take him with a late-ish pick considering we know he'll be a hard-working kid and comes with plenty of added marketing value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Rice learning towards to Saints at this stage
No biggie. Even if we lose Yarran we'll have Docherty, Simpson, Thomas, Buckley, Holman, Sheehan, Byrne, Tuohy, DVR and Dick that can play at half back. It's already one of the least important positions on the ground and we're well and truly shored up there. Use our draft picks elsewhere.

Bailey Rice learning towards to Saints at this stage

No, he is not........ because

he is being very well advised and will not make up his mind until after the draft combine. Additionally, he has been interviewed by North Melb already. There are other clubs interested in him as well. For instance, his grand uncle was a premiership player for Geelong.

The Saints want him and the Blues want him. He has plenty of upside to make when he gets into the AFL system. When he builds a tank he is likely to be a very good mid.

He has heaps on his plate with VCE exams, TAC finals, and the Draft Combine to keep his mind occupied until the time comes for him to decide on his FS preference.

No, he is not........ because

he is being very well advised and will not make up his mind until after the draft combine. Additionally, he has been interviewed by North Melb already. There are other clubs interested in him as well. For instance, his grand uncle was a premiership player for Geelong.

The Saints want him and the Blues want him. He has plenty of upside to make when he gets into the AFL system. When he builds a tank he is likely to be a very good mid.

He has heaps on his plate with VCE exams, TAC finals, and the Draft Combine to keep his mind occupied until the time comes for him to decide on his FS preference.

Thanks for the update Mrs. Rice.

;)

With the new rules it's in his best interests to hold off on deciding which club he prefers. He can choose between two clubs on draft night and say SOS thinks we can get a better player or someone bids too early, Bailey could decide he doesn't want to go to said early bidder and go somewhere as familiar like St Kilda.

He's being smart about it all, keeping his options open while making the most of the opportunities given to him by the two clubs vying for his loyalty. Being a young draftee with frequent AFL system training for two years now is a huge head start.

With the new rules it's in his best interests to hold off on deciding which club he prefers. He can choose between two clubs on draft night and say SOS thinks we can get a better player or someone bids too early, Bailey could decide he doesn't want to go to said early bidder and go somewhere as familiar like St Kilda.

He's being smart about it all, keeping his options open while making the most of the opportunities given to him by the two clubs vying for his loyalty. Being a young draftee with frequent AFL system training for two years now is a huge head start.
With the new rules he doesn't have to decide between the two unless they both match a bid.

With the new rules he doesn't have to decide between the two unless they both match a bid.

I think he has to nominate a first preference. So that team gets first dibs. If they pass, the other team gets a go...

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back