Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the article, he could make his decision today even though he has until October 30th.

"The decision will probably be after the combine. [I'll] speak to dad, speak to Maxy [manager Mark Kleiman], and I'll come to something after the combine.

"[I'm] not leaning one way or another. Either of them I'm fine with."

Can someone correct me in hoping we don't take Rice for a pick in the late teens or twenties?

Reckon trading those picks will get us a better result.
Rice should be tacken in the mid to late 20's. He's an elite kick, good size and a real weapon off half back.

Can someone correct me in hoping we don't take Rice for a pick in the late teens or twenties?

Reckon trading those picks will get us a better result.

Definitely worth a second rounder and we get a 20% discount on him. Elite kick. Big body. Warming to him.

I think with discounts we should be able go 3rd rounder for Rice
4th for SOS.

This is why getting some steak knives picks in trade deals gives us some leverage.

Also if we run out of points this year we can downgrade picks (in the rounds that we match, next year)

Pretty sure

He's tough and neat but can't help seeing meat & potatoes here.

I wouldn't puff my chest out for a win, in paying too much for him.

Aren't you asking what too much is though?

Doubt anybody is bidding a 1st rounder so it will be a 2nd we get in a trade or a 3rd.

I think with discounts we should be able go 3rd rounder for Rice
4th for SOS.

This is why getting some steak knives picks in trade deals gives us some leverage.

Also if we run out of points this year we can downgrade picks (in the rounds that we match, next year)

Pretty sure
That would mean first bid on Rice at around pick 30, and SOS around pick 43. I think both bids will be a shade higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Browne's questionable decision making, disposal and pace, one wonders how he was even drafted in the first place...
He wasn't a bad option. he just wasn't the best option. He concentrated well on his man and he had a very good Carnival. We were looking for a type of Player and Browne looked OK. Given that extra yard of pace and he would have played a LOT more games. After all, Tom Bell did and his decision making and kicking are not reliable. Nor are Andrew Walker's and he has played a fair bit.

At this time Rice appears to have all 3 of these guys covered with his decision making and his kicking usually hits the mark. I have seen him only once NOT hit the mark playing U18 footy and that was in the u18 Champs.

Given Browne's questionable decision making, disposal and pace, one wonders how he was even drafted in the first place...
The draft was pretty thin by his pick (#36). Chris Mayne (who'd been injured), Jack Steven, and Armfield were the only decent players after him.

He might be raw and skinny and need some development, but the SOS boy clearly has a lot of class. Agree with HARKS, there's a bit to look forward to there.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-10-10/son-of-sos-a-super-talent

Sorry, if already been posted here or elsewhere.

What really stands out to me here is his kicking execution. Seems to pick the right targets and kicks the ball to advantage. I understand it's a highlights reel, but there's enough of them that it's not a coincidence. And delivery looks to be very intentional.

Oh, and I love the marks where he is falling away, protecting the ball drop and sliding on his knees. I'm sure I've seen that '1' before. It's like de ja vu, all over again ;)

Reading the AFL article on updated Draft Night technology it stated that for bids on father son players outside the First Round clubs will not have to be concerned about using points from next year's pick as they can just use their next available pick.

Is this correct?

It was my understanding that when this policy was first implemented it could eat into points from next year and that you always had to find the appropriate points no matter where selected. Although once it go to a certain point, where 20% would stop giving you a significant benefit, it would just give you an automatic 200 point deficit or something.

Is this therefore an updated policy and we won't have to worry about getting picks in the 40's to save our first round next year in case Bailey and SoS are bid relatively high?

Reading the AFL article on updated Draft Night technology it stated that for bids on father son players outside the First Round clubs will not have to be concerned about using points from next year's pick as they can just use their next available pick.

Is this correct?

It was my understanding that when this policy was first implemented it could eat into points from next year and that you always had to find the appropriate points no matter where selected. Although once it go to a certain point, where 20% would stop giving you a significant benefit, it would just give you an automatic 200 point deficit or something.

Is this therefore an updated policy and we won't have to worry about getting picks in the 40's to save our first round next year in case Bailey and SoS are bid relatively high?

Firstly, your username suggests you should have access to all the information / investigative power to work this out ;)

1) After the first round, the 20% discount turns into a set 197 point discount (which favours the teams nominating academy/fs picks). That was part of the original submission.

2) As for leftover points, the original submission was that it would come off first pick the following year. That has since been updated by the AFL to carry over to the next year in the round the player was bid for.

So, SOS gets bid 3rd round, higher than we expect. First up, we get 197 discount. IF we don't have enough points to cover, the balance comes out of our picks from round 3 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back