Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually happy to see you lot up and about after a few wins. It was fairly doom and gloom when the Pies pulled your pants down (again) in Round 23. It’s actually a shame your happiness has to be cyclical and you guys will be down in the dumps again come August ☹️
An extra month in Bali > Participation awards.

You should try it out.

2023 HAS to be the year Collingwood wins a flag, doesn't it? Forget the banter for a sec - their form has been awesome and their game style and execution vary between very good and best. If they can't do it in '23 - do Pendelubury and Sidebottom have another contender year in them? Take Pendlebury out of on-field leadership and Sidebottom's smarts - irreplaceable players in my book - despite their weird looks - would have been a privilege to have them in the Navy Blue colours.

Losing the two ruckmen for a few weeks is a worry - but clearances aren't Collingwood's one wood anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see them cruise through until one of their rucks is back.

Meanwhile, Carlton has only kicked 100 once this year- and that was against Norths and Docherty can be added to the injury list now.

The 'odds' say that Collingwood have already won the topic under discussion.

Collingwood might lose another to St Kilda ( I wouldn't bet on it though) - but Carlton is probably in for its first loss this year against Adelaide.

This thread is reading like a Fadgey hedge - if Collingwood don't win a flag in '23 - (he knows you are done at the end of the year) - he can always look forward to at least finishing higher than Carlton...what a genius.

Any other result is not worth thinking about for a Collingwood tragic.

LOL - I hope both sides stay within reach of each other for the whole year... LOLs a plenty.

Pies won't go close this year so not really bothered by them while we keep building. Reckon next year or 2025 is our year to take the chocolates once we've got a few more games into Motlop, Durdin, Hollands etc and brought in a couple more pieces.

I'd imagine during that time Pies will try to force Mcstay's terrible contract off their books and get caught up in a few more racism or snapchat scandals

An extra month in Bali > Participation awards.

You should try it out.

No-one from Collingwood is allowed near Bali for a little while... or the US. I'd rather they were pre-occupied with finals, and then losing than letting their hair down overseas, or near smartphone cameras.

Your currently in 5th place - which is ok.

Bad news is you’ve peaked and have nothing more to offer.

Can you elaborate on your view that Collingwood has peaked? This appears to be a common narrative amongst some Carlton supporters that Collingwood has peaked, and Carlton have scope for improvement. Its like you guys go with this to give yourselves some warm, fuzzy feelings that it will only get better, but there is no logic reasoning behind this.

2023 HAS to be the year Collingwood wins a flag, doesn't it? Forget the banter for a sec - their form has been awesome and their game style and execution vary between very good and best. If they can't do it in '23 - do Pendelubury and Sidebottom have another contender year in them? Take Pendlebury out of on-field leadership and Sidebottom's smarts - irreplaceable players in my book - despite their weird looks - would have been a privilege to have them in the Navy Blue colours.

This is ballsy of you trying to engage in logical discussion in this thread. We're not going to have a bar of it! Unless you have poo to sling, please refrain from posting!

In all seriousness though, to answer you - I dread the day Scott Pendlebury doesn't run out for Collingwood. We've seen it already this year with Freo and Geelong losing Mundy and Selwood on-field as heart and soul players. Despite them no longer impacting as intensely on the stats sheet, their on-field ability to swing/stem momentum shifts is something that can't be measured by stats. Scott Pendlebury has done it multiple times this year so far, where you see momentum shifts in games, and he inserts himself into the contest, and does the small things to influence the game.

Sure, you can't replace a Scott Pendebury, but Collingwood doesn't intend to. Like Carlton supporters have harped on about, the natural progression of those around him in the midfield will need to pick up what we lose from him when he retires. Its a tiresome narrative, but Nick Daicos is a perfect heir-apparent to Pendles in the midfield.

Sidebottom, whilst a smart footballer, is no longer as integral, so we can cover that loss, and ideally, towards the tail-end of this year, he is on the fringes, playing a small role in the 23. As a winger/HFF, we've already got Lipinski and J Daicos who are very good in that area of the field.

Losing the two ruckmen for a few weeks is a worry - but clearances aren't Collingwood's one wood anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see them cruise through until one of their rucks is back.

Meanwhile, Carlton has only kicked 100 once this year- and that was against Norths and Docherty can be added to the injury list now.

The 'odds' say that Collingwood have already won the topic under discussion.

All jokes aside, I do genuinely believe that, but in saying that, doesn't mean there isn't monumental growth in Carlton from 2022 to 2023 both internally, and on the league ladder. This thread is purely a pissing contest that we're all having fun in.

Collingwood might lose another to St Kilda ( I wouldn't bet on it though) - but Carlton is probably in for its first loss this year against Adelaide.

This thread is reading like a Fadgey hedge - if Collingwood don't win a flag in '23 - (he knows you are done at the end of the year) - he can always look forward to at least finishing higher than Carlton...what a genius.

Any other result is not worth thinking about for a Collingwood tragic.

LOL - I hope both sides stay within reach of each other for the whole year... LOLs a plenty.

I don't subscribe to the theory that 2023 is Collingwood's 'last chance' at a flag. Fly coming in as coach has rejuvenated the list, and we're seeing greater output and potential from the mid-tier players in that 23-28 age group, which could possibly see Collingwood extend that premiership window further as we wait on the 18 to 22 group to mature and try and fulfil their potential.

No-one from Collingwood is allowed near Bali for a little while... or the US. I'd rather they were pre-occupied with finals, and then losing than letting their hair down overseas, or near smartphone cameras.

Can you elaborate on your view that Collingwood has peaked? This appears to be a common narrative amongst some Carlton supporters that Collingwood has peaked, and Carlton have scope for improvement. Its like you guys go with this to give yourselves some warm, fuzzy feelings that it will only get better, but there is no logic reasoning behind this.

Can you elaborate on your view that Collingwood has peaked? This appears to be a common narrative amongst some Carlton supporters that Collingwood has peaked, and Carlton have scope for improvement. Its like you guys go with this to give yourselves some warm, fuzzy feelings that it will only get better, but there is no logic reasoning behind

It’s pretty simple - Collingwood have played to their capacity the first couple of weeks, they couldn’t preform any better.

Even to the point some on here hilariously tout Collingwood as prem favourites after week 2 :) - their peak.

Lol.

The next couple of week they’ve been found out - get in behind their push forward and score easily - Brisbane flogging them last week.

The peak came from their aggressive approach taking the slow starting cats and power on the hop - teams now know how to counter punch them.

Will they even beat saints this week - it’s 50/50.

Yes Collingwood has peaked!

Can you elaborate on your view that Collingwood has peaked? This appears to be a common narrative amongst some Carlton supporters that Collingwood has peaked, and Carlton have scope for improvement. Its like you guys go with this to give yourselves some warm, fuzzy feelings that it will only get better, but there is no logic reasoning behind this
It's otherwise known as 'Wishful Thinking'...

Even to the point some on here hilariously tout Collingwood as prem favourites after week 2 :) - their peak.
Bad news.... Collingwood remain the team to beat.

Interested to hear how Collingwood 'got found out' against Richmond, despite winning comfortably and having 9 more scoring shots?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're getting it lol, next week it might be you guys saying it and the week after it might be us again.

It’s pretty simple - Collingwood have played to their capacity the first couple of weeks, they couldn’t preform any better.

Will they even beat saints this week - it’s 50/50.
Saints are sitting on top of the ladder having won their first 4 games in impressive fashion.

They will absolutely be hard to beat.

Yet another tough game for the Magpies.

We can't all have the luxury of playing 2022's 16th and 18th teams to bolster our position on the ladder.

Bad news.... Collingwood remain the team to beat.

Interested to hear how Collingwood 'got found out' against Richmond, despite winning comfortably and having 9 more scoring shots?
Lol nope - 2nd at best, at best.

Yes you beat Richmond by an amazing 14 points.

Then proceeded to be pumped by Brisbane by 33 - on the same scoring shots BTW ;).

Scoring shots accounts for very little unless you can kick goals.

The trend is downward for Collingwood - 1st two weeks ago, down to 5th now.

Points scored total first 2 rounds 260 - last two rounds 146.

Collingwood only has one gear - run& gun.

Stop that & there’s nothing left.

Then proceeded to be pumped by Brisbane by 33 - on the same scoring shots BTW ;).

Brisbane in Brisbane will be the hardest road trip in footy this year - they've already accounted for Melbourne and Collingwood.

Why do you think the neutral analysts are giving Collingwood a Mulligan for the result?

Was their first match without a ruckman, and it clearly influenced the result;
Still had the same number of scoring shots;

It's a long year, maybe we have to tweak the gamestyle when teams get a run-on against us? We've got 20 weeks to work that out.

Who’s above us? Melbourne?? We don’t lose to Melbourne therefore are automatically #1

Brisbane in Brisbane will be the hardest road trip in footy this year - they've already accounted for Melbourne and Collingwood.

Why do you think the neutral analysts are giving Collingwood a Mulligan for the result?

Was their first match without a ruckman, and it clearly influenced the result;
Still had the same number of scoring shots;

It's a long year, maybe we have to tweak the gamestyle when teams get a run-on against us? We've got 20 weeks to work that out.
Indeed - don’t get me wrong, I think Collingwood are the best team to watch right now, that doesn’t make them the hardest team to beat.

Collingwood will need to find another gear to last another 20 weeks.

Carlton is all upside.

Our performances have been erratic & frustrating. Our centre clearances well down on LY due to our missing mids.

We’ve improved much defensively & rebound from D50 on LY is well up importantly.

Walsh, Kennedy & Acres back gives us a chance to win the ball out of the middle - something we typically do, but haven’t done yet this year.

To your point - this is about the next 20 weeks - how anyone could be realistically called favourites after 4 games is a little daft.

I don't subscribe to the theory that 2023 is Collingwood's 'last chance' at a flag. Fly coming in as coach has rejuvenated the list, and we're seeing greater output and potential from the mid-tier players in that 23-28 age group, which could possibly see Collingwood extend that premiership window further as we wait on the 18 to 22 group to mature and try and fulfil their potential.

The premiership window gets shut as soon as Pendelbury retires- he may go around another year or two - who knows - but this is the year it has to be done IMO.

To your point - this is about the next 20 weeks - how anyone could be realistically called favourites after 4 games is a little daft.
I still don't understand this (il)logic.

Are Collingwood more likely to win the premiership than Hawthorn?

Are Melbourne more likely to win the premiership than West Coast.

Can we assess all other teams based on what we know right now to estimate the likelihood of them winning the premiership?

If not, when is a reasonable time to start talking about who is more likely, and who is not?

Can we assess all other teams based on what we know right now to estimate the likelihood of them winning the premiership?

If not, when is a reasonable time to start talking about who is more likely, and who is not?

What bizarre comparisons

Rate sides against other strong sides, and reassess each 3rd of the season, then finals

If not, when is a reasonable time to start talking about who is more likely, and who is not
You can talk about it all you want.

As you’ve said -

you’ve already answered your own question;

“It's a long year, maybe we have to tweak the gamestyle when teams get a run-on against us? We've got 20 weeks to work that out”.

The further away we are from the end of the H&A season - the more likely judgement calls on premiership favouritism are just posturing.

Especially when there are clear signs that neither of us are the best…

Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back