Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been loving the 'Stronger Together' theme, not so sure now that I know where they pinched it from after watching a documentary on the 2016 US Presidential Election. Stronger Together was Hilary Clinton's Campaign theme. Now every time I see that slogan used I think of her lol

It’s amazing how far our club has come in such a short period of times. We’ve had a modern makeover and are now living in the 21st Century.

Even our slogan is class and not pretentious like “They know we are coming.”

I love that the stats they used to support the idea that Carlton are better with Harry or Charlie alone actual disprove that very same belief.

EDIT: The stat I am referring to is this:
"Over the past three seasons, Curnow averages 2.7 goals when playing alongside McKay and 3.6 when Harry is missing. McKay, meanwhile, averages 1.9 goals with Curnow and 3.1 when Charlie is grounded."

Last edited:
Somewhat a simplistic use of stats from Jake.

Personally, if the averages of both players drop if they are in the same side, and we are still winning, that would suggest we are sharing the load, which makes us less predictable and more dangerous
The important stats would be does the team scoring average increase if both players are in the side and does the win/loss ratio increase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The important stats would be does the team scoring average increase if both players are in the side and does the win/loss ratio increase.
Agreed, but I would also add, does it reduce the opposition scoring average, given sides would need a greater defensive mindset and strategy, which then stifles their scoring power

Not sure Harry McKay is that far off Tomahawk either tbh.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harry is a much greater athlete than Hawkins. Not as strong in a shoulder to shoulder contest perhaps ( Hawkins probably wins most of these except against Weiters!!) but much pacer and greater endurance.

Harry has had injuries for the last few seasons which have diminished his output.

A full season of these 2 boys working together, they will only get better!

Not sure Harry McKay is that far off Tomahawk either tbh.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certainly covers a hell of a lot more ground… Jake thinks H is a stay at home forward… more proof that the “journos” don’t have in depth knowledge of each team… just a broad uninformed opinion🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Opening Round

Amid the hoopla of Carlton’s unforgettable win on Friday night, and with Big H enjoying the spoils, Carlton’s back group should feel plenty proud. Jordan Boyd is the largely unknown soldier of that group. The 25-year-old from Spotswood was a mid-season draftee in 2021, played seven games in 2022 and nine last season. Michael Voss must like him. He picked him for the preliminary final when hadn’t played a senior match for eight weeks. On Friday night, he had some nervous moments playing on a combination of Lincoln McCarthy, Dayne Zorko and Charlie Cameron, but he was part of a group which helped restrict the Lions to 26 points from 28 entries in the second half. It was a massive effort without Jacob Weitering. Some of that was on the Lions, for they kicked 3.8, but clearly Blues defended better than they did in the first half. The backs stayed deeper and their intercept game improved.

I have been loving the 'Stronger Together' theme, not so sure now that I know where they pinched it from after watching a documentary on the 2016 US Presidential Election. Stronger Together was Hilary Clinton's Campaign theme. Now every time I see that slogan used I think of her lol

Similar to Wales’ Euro 2016 campaign they rolled out in 2015:

Together Stronger

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Opening Round​

Amid the hoopla of Carlton’s unforgettable win on Friday night, and with Big H enjoying the spoils, Carlton’s back group should feel plenty proud. Jordan Boyd is the largely unknown soldier of that group. The 25-year-old from Spotswood was a mid-season draftee in 2021, played seven games in 2022 and nine last season. Michael Voss must like him. He picked him for the preliminary final when hadn’t played a senior match for eight weeks. On Friday night, he had some nervous moments playing on a combination of Lincoln McCarthy, Dayne Zorko and Charlie Cameron, but he was part of a group which helped restrict the Lions to 26 points from 28 entries in the second half. It was a massive effort without Jacob Weitering. Some of that was on the Lions, for they kicked 3.8, but clearly Blues defended better than they did in the first half. The backs stayed deeper and their intercept game improved.

Disposal efficiency by foot of 93%, ridiculous considering some of the kicks he took

I love that the stats they used to support the idea that Carlton are better with Harry or Charlie alone actual disprove that very same belief.

EDIT: The stat I am referring to is this:
"Over the past three seasons, Curnow averages 2.7 goals when playing alongside McKay and 3.6 when Harry is missing. McKay, meanwhile, averages 1.9 goals with Curnow and 3.1 when Charlie is grounded."

So the team averages 4.6 goals a game from them as a combo but only 3.6 or 3.1 when either is going solo.

Yeah doesn't support his argument.

I will say this - if Harry has truly gotten over his slight yips of last year it will make us a 3-4 goal a game better team. Over a season that's probably worth another 3 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back