Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingy has us as his first seed on SEN... What the hell kind of bizarro world did I wake up today?
One of the more pathetic aspects of this place is the sad victim mentality even normally lucid posters embrace, attempting to show how anti-Carlton the media is. On the whole, the commentary post game was bonkers impressed by us. Surprised, stunned, admiring. Brown, Lyon & Buckley were borderline swooning over our efforts. Kingy is one of our massive fans and has been for a while. Yet for some reason posters here can't or don't want to hear the positive, congratulatory stuff. It's a handy way to stay stuck in this "poor us" mentality. Why it's done I have no idea. Perhaps 20 years of mediocrity has numbed fans to praise of any type. These pundits have zero affiliation with Carlton, have no reason to be "nice" to us, and are paid to talk about what they are seeing. Grow up please, this stuff is beyond tiresome and on the whole utter bullshit.

One of the more pathetic aspects of this place is the sad victim mentality even normally lucid posters embrace, attempting to show how anti-Carlton the media is. On the whole, the commentary post game was bonkers impressed by us. Surprised, stunned, admiring. Brown, Lyon & Buckley were borderline swooning over our efforts. Kingy is one of our massive fans and has been for a while. Yet for some reason posters here can't or don't want to hear the positive, congratulatory stuff. It's a handy way to stay stuck in this "poor us" mentality. Why it's done I have no idea. Perhaps 20 years of mediocrity has numbed fans to praise of any type. These pundits have zero affiliation with Carlton, have no reason to be "nice" to us, and are paid to talk about what they are seeing. Grow up please, this stuff is beyond tiresome and on the whole utter bullshit.
Not to mention, while the win was fantastic, the first quarter and a half deserved a bit of a bake anyway.

I don't really care what the media have to say, good or bad. They're there to give opinions - it won't change anything realistically.

Respect to Buckley for making sure we got credit. Would’ve been hard for him im sure

Browny is understandable he’s a lion, Lyon is just a knob.

I’m just waiting for David king to hate on us again and say he’s not convinced
Just because someone else is not convinced into thinking the same as you does not mean they are "hating on us".

So does that mean you are convinced? And if so, what are you "covinced" about?

That kick out of the BP to Crippa was sublime...and i think got us going.
Having said that Cez's left foot bullet pass to ??? was unbelievable

Zac Williams kick under extreme pressure out of the backline to Owies 50 metres away not having to break stride was the kick of the night.

Owies dropped the simple mark🤦🏻

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just because someone else is not convinced into thinking the same as you does not mean they are "hating on us".

So does that mean you are convinced? And if so, what are you "covinced" about?
David king burner account?

i Just find King confusing is all. He went from saying we trained the best, then to writing us off a bit after a praccy match. On our 9 game winning streak last year he credited it more to luck than us being good, and being a diehard fan it rubbed me the wrong way but he’s entitled to his opinion

I’m convinced we have as good a list as anyone, and that we have as much spirit and grit as anyone too. If we have the majority of our players for finals I think we should and will be flag faves. top 2 is vital this year as I think 4 of the top 6 or so sides this year are interstate and you don’t want to leave the G

Not sure Harry McKay is that far off Tomahawk either tbh.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is underselling Hawkins imo, he will go down as one of Geelongs all time greats and has been a super consistent player for nearly 15 years.

If Harry gets anywhere near the consistent output of Hawkins, then we will be very lucky and very successful

Loved it when Mcgovern took the mark on the wing and instinctively looked inside to see if anyone was there.

Newman to Harry.

Has to be a play in red time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gov is one of very few who gets back off the mark quickly, drives me mental when players don’t. Owies and Carroll take note….
You find open teammates easily in the first few seconds of a stop play

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kingy last week had us and Freo as the two teams he was most concerned about this year. On the same segment, on the same show. That's the only reason I made the comment.

I almost never sook about the media or share the grand conspiracy that they have all been paid to coordinate attacks on us or some rubbish. I love Cornes despite him grilling us for years when it was deserved. Lyon come across as a flog in my eyes and sometimes Brown and Buckley can be a bit bias but I never sit back and think they are deliberately out to get us or something... Nor do I post claiming that they do.

So please, don't tell me to grow up after you've misconstrued a sarcastic comment and then written an essay in response to it.

Kingy last week had us and Freo as the two teams he was most concerned about this year. On the same segment, on the same show. That's the only reason I made the comment.

I almost never sook about the media or share the grand conspiracy that they have all been paid to coordinate attacks on us or some rubbish. I love Cornes despite him grilling us for years when it was deserved. Lyon come across as a flog in my eyes and sometimes Brown and Buckley can be a bit bias but I never sit back and think they are deliberately out to get us or something... Nor do I post claiming that they do.

So please, don't tell me to grow up after you've misconstrued a sarcastic comment and then written an essay in response to it.
Bizarro world because Kingy was complimentary of us? He's been rusted on us for 2 seasons. You'll sort yourself out and like it.

Bizarro world because Kingy was complimentary of us? He's been rusted on us for 2 seasons. You'll sort yourself out and like it.
As Juice said above, last week after our praccy game he was speaking like he was writing us off and this week he's got us as his first seed. I have no issue with Kingy and think he's one of the best media pundits we have for our sport. Actually goes and watches pre season training, first crack is my favorite AFL show because they use stats to back up opinion, he also watches every game each week. He has my respect.

I just found it amusing that he flip flopped so dramatically in the space of a week, despite as you said... Being fairly bullish on us since Voss took over.

Anyway I'm going to go back to annoying Fadge on main board. He can't tell me to grow up because he's got the maturity of a 2 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention, while the win was fantastic, the first quarter and a half deserved a bit of a bake anyway.

I don't really care what the media have to say, good or bad. They're there to give opinions - it won't change anything realistically.
I also don't really care what the media boffins say when it comes to general game opinion, but to say that their commentary won't change anything is also naive.

When it comes to outrage over a MRO case to be decided or to fan the flames of a controversy, it can influence decision makers and especially the footy public's thoughts and opinions which can on occasion have an impact.

A loud voice in the public arena has influence and as such should be a considered and measured response to an issue.

Also there are many occasions I look at our post game threads and other teams threads and I read things that are almost verbatum of the commentary box, which on closer inspection are false or at the very least misleading.

I also don't really care what the media boffins say when it comes to general game opinion, but to say that their commentary won't change anything is also naive.

When it comes to outrage over a MRO case to be decided or to fan the flames of a controversy, it can influence decision makers and especially the footy public's thoughts and opinions which can on occasion have an impact.

A loud voice in the public arena has influence and as such should be a considered and measured response to an issue.

Also there are many occasions I look at our post game threads and other teams threads and I read things that are almost verbatum of the commentary box, which on closer inspection are false or at the very least misleading.
People choose to be influenced or not.

Unfortunately, he’s spot on regarding the MRO and the influence the media can have. When Whateley goes on the rampage over a decision, we quite often see the AFL flip.

For example, I remember a few years ago when Ed Curnow touched an umpire in what can only be described as a friendly manner. There was no case to be answered until Whateley began huffing and puffing……. Voila, Ed was suspended. I’m sure there are a wide range of examples featuring Whateley and affecting most clubs.

Unfortunately, he’s spot on regarding the MRO and the influence the media can have. When Whateley goes on the rampage over a decision, we quite often see the AFL flip.

For example, I remember a few years ago when Ed Curnow touched an umpire in what can only be described as a friendly manner. There was no case to be answered until Whateley began huffing and puffing……. Voila, Ed was suspended. I’m sure there are a wide range of examples featuring Whateley and affecting most clubs.
that's not a media issue - that's an mro issue........

Maybe so, I think you can be influenced unwittingly although I don’t think there needs to be a distinction made here.

My post was a generalisation about the role loud, prominent voices can have on the discourse and sometimes outcomes of events.

Maybe so, I think you can be influenced unwittingly although I don’t think there needs to be a distinction made here.

My post was a generalisation about the role loud, prominent voices can have on the discourse and sometimes outcomes of events.

sure - but you can't expect the meeja to rein it in because the mro might be influenced? where does that end, lily?

Don't see the big deal that journalists were iffy last week, our pre-season form (yes I know preseason) and mounting injuries was cause for concern.

King has been big on us for a couple of years. Wasn't impressed with our preseason expecting better but what he saw last week restored his confidence. To be honest, most of us for the first quarter and a half last week would have had a bit of an uneasy feeling

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back