Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be very hard to bring in revenue when you don't relate to everyday people and you are missing a generation of new supporters. Powerbrokers have us on a drip feed, not enough to get us out of trouble, but enough to maintain our image as a rich man plaything and keep grass roots support away.

While they are around we struggle to take a long term progressive approach to running the club.

It feels we are being slowly strangled by a noxious weed.

What does the Carlton brand stand for?

Going to be very hard to bring in revenue when you don't relate to everyday people and you are missing a generation of new supporters. Powerbrokers have us on a drip feed, not enough to get us out of trouble, but enough to maintain our image as a rich man plaything and keep grass roots support away.

While they are around we struggle to take a long term progressive approach to running the club.

We're still bandaiding.

Talk about keeping grass roots support away, I wonder how many people attended the Super Blues Weekend compared to last couple of traditional family days . Makes it hard to attend if you hold your major grass roots supporters event of the year on a Friday during work hours . To now read we need an advance on our pocket money to get to the start of the season.
Where has my post season / post draft optimism gone . Oh Carlton what a mess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was interested to hear how the hardest training is done in pre season, and from there you are pretty much just managing players week to week. Goes to show how truly important a full pre season is.

Aussie rules is brutal at senior level. It's like running a marathon with jumping, tackling, kicking, wrestling and horrible bruising thrown into it. Nothing like a 110 kg 200cm + giant like Mumford or Sandilands cleaning you up as well.

Half the time spent between one game and the other is simply letting the body heal properly.

Preseasons are important for everyone but it doubles for players who rely strongly on their athleticism like Walker or Kreuzer. A good preseason or bad one is often the difference between success or failure for quite a few players. Port for example often ran over teams in the fourth quarter because they could maintain their kicking, tackling intensity, structures and running game for that much longer then their opponents. When they built further on their fitness after securing finals by pushing themselves harder on the track their performances went to crap due to the strain but they came back stronger to wack a tired Carlton unfortunately and push for a GF.

I think it was Adelaide in 2006 who was just blitzing the comp and then in about round 15 or so they played West Coast and got pummele by 80 points. Up until that point they were averaging 65 against and had an awesome average attacking score too. Neil Craig burnt them on the track though and they fell away come seasons end. He needed to pull back and instead he pushed harder. Management throughout the season is so important. The best teams have the depth to give players a rest and keep getting the Ws. Geelong during that period. Hawthorn now. The comps getting harder now that there is no truly easy games that you can try and rest key personnel and end up losing. Its a fine art.

I think it was Adelaide in 2006 who was just blitzing the comp and then in about round 15 or so they played West Coast and got pummele by 80 points. Up until that point they were averaging 65 against and had an awesome average attacking score too. Neil Craig burnt them on the track though and they fell away come seasons end. He needed to pull back and instead he pushed harder. Management throughout the season is so important. The best teams have the depth to give players a rest and keep getting the Ws. Geelong during that period. Hawthorn now. The comps getting harder now that there is no truly easy games that you can try and rest key personnel and end up losing. Its a fine art.

agree totally. MM is one of the better exponents- when he has enough depth that is.

agree totally. MM is one of the better exponents- when he has enough depth that is.
Id suggest hes getting a good read on the players now and whats required. Hes not one to stay stagnant. He knows how to move a list forward. This will be a good year. Purely because the list is balanced if nothing else, although there has been growth in other areas.

This will be a good year. Purely because the list is balanced...

But it's not balanced. We're going to have one of the worst forward lines in the league.

Our forward line saviours are a guy with the worst goalkicking in the game, a guy who struggled at Footscray, or maybe a guy with terrible foot injuries who should be in the ruck anyway.

I know it's not a popular stance, but I feel like we really shouldn't pump ourselves up for 2015. I understand and appreciate enthusiasm for the new year, but the reality is this list needs a LOT of work. We should probably brace for a year that will be mediocre at best. Top 8 would be a massive achievement.

(...god I hope I get proven wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back