Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's not balanced. We're going to have one of the worst forward lines in the league.

Our forward line saviours are a guy with the worst goalkicking in the game, a guy who struggled at Footscray, or maybe a guy with terrible foot injuries who should be in the ruck anyway.

I know it's not a popular stance, but I feel like we really shouldn't pump ourselves up for 2015. I understand and appreciate enthusiasm for the new year, but the reality is this list needs a LOT of work. We should probably brace for a year that will be mediocre at best. Top 8 would be a massive achievement.

(...god I hope I get proven wrong.)

Severely under-rating guys like Henderson and Watson who i expect to spend a bit of time in our forward line. Casboult to relieve the ruck from the pokcet, menzel, and by all accounts likely Jones, and I think the forward line is in better shape than you think.

It's missing one premier forward such as Tippett, Franklin, T Walker, Hawkins, Roughead etc. Unless someone steps up to that level or we mail order one in, I don't think we are a top 4 side. Not as bad as people say we are, but not flag-ready I think.

Severely under-rating guys like Henderson and Watson who i expect to spend a bit of time in our forward line. Casboult to relieve the ruck from the pokcet, menzel, and by all accounts likely Jones, and I think the forward line is in better shape than you think.

40 goals or more from any of those would surprise the hell out of me.

The answer to the trivia question was..............Simon Fletcher.

No points for Wookie or Numbers.

But it's not balanced. We're going to have one of the worst forward lines in the league.

Our forward line saviours are a guy with the worst goalkicking in the game, a guy who struggled at Footscray, or maybe a guy with terrible foot injuries who should be in the ruck anyway.

I know it's not a popular stance, but I feel like we really shouldn't pump ourselves up for 2015. I understand and appreciate enthusiasm for the new year, but the reality is this list needs a LOT of work. We should probably brace for a year that will be mediocre at best. Top 8 would be a massive achievement.

Respectfully disagree. Hendo is a very solid player. Casboult is very handy fwd/ruck and since the sub rule has come in this is a required position now. No longer can you carry 2 ruckmen into a game as you will just get run off your feet. At the same token you cant take 1 ruckman in because if they go down then you are shot. The 3rd tall is Jones/Watson and they are both going to be competing for that spot which means they will elevate each other.

Hendo - 25. Casboult - almost 25. Jones - 24. Watson - 22 1/2. They are all starting to get to that age where they can compete with the beasts of the AFL, and we all know KPP dont start to really be able to throw down until around 23 so we got 4 players who are right in that sweet spot now and I expect they will all increase noticeably this year.

I also like the spread we have in terms of their attributes, because they all bring their own style and attributes to the proceedings. They are gonna want to have a defender with an engine and athletisism for Hendo, a hulk to deal with Casboult (who is also developing an engine), as well as the x factor and high energy/spring of Jones and the pure man childness of Watson who has the added weapon of the 60m cannon which means if he marks on the 50 arc hes gonna be able to put a score on the board which is something we seriously lack (except for perhaps Touhy).

I seriously dont think it is as dire as you say it is. I see plenty of upside and the ability to give the opposition coach headaches.

Our write up in the mag wasn't to bad. I was expecting a lot worse but I agreeded with what he said. (Can't believe I just said that)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't know where else to put this - but hats off to the club for really stepping up the quality of videos on the website/youtube channel. They are looking much better - and actually seem like they are well thought out.

When they are as good as The Wooks work I'll be completely sold.

When I first started doing video for this board in particular, I reckon it was for the 2012 season and the Blues barely covered anything media related, I was pulling interviews from radio, and other stuff that the Blues site didnt have. They've gradually increased that to the point where i dont need to do as much or its unnecessarry duplication. Less work for me! lol

What about Hendo, Menzel & Simon White (pinch hitting fwd)? They seem to be reliable don't you think? I realize Jones isn't a world beater, but he IS a traditional marking forward (how about the way he read the ball and marked Jammo's Torp above his head?) and has a decent kicking action with set shots.

For What it's worth, I've Never been a fan of the idea of Kreuzer up forward anyway, and think he's better served as No.1 ruck.

It's missing one premier forward such as Tippett, Franklin, T Walker, Hawkins, Roughead etc. Unless someone steps up to that level or we mail order one in, I don't think we are a top 4 side. Not as bad as people say we are, but not flag-ready I think.

To be honest Shan, we are nowhere near that conversation at the moment, and it will take a bit more than a key forward..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back