Preview Carlton v Sydney - Sunday 5th August 3:15PM @ Etihad - Team - Post #341

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very disappointed 3 key plays in which Thornton was involved in which won us the game.

- mark and goal to end 1st quarter gives us momentum going into 2nd quarter
- palm to Garlett 4? secs on clock gives us momentum going into final quarter
- Free for gets us to within 1 goal in last quarter

+ outstanding tackle on ducking Rance spilled ball to Curnow resulted in I50 (& point)

Ratts = Stats, who cares doesn't matter if you were responsible for 3 out of the 14 goals kicked.

I hope he's right.

I do feel sorry for Thornton but we don't know what the dynamics are.
If Ratts=Stats, then why does AJ keep getting a game?

Fairly predictable from Ratten, doubt if there will be a exchange of christmas cards this year between Ratten & Thornton.
There clearly seems to be a favourites list, Watson omitted for no apparent reason, Davies and now White back in without either showing outstanding form to return, and both are at this time fringe players.

Watson had no form before he was selected in the side, and Casbault had played one match in the VFL development side and one for Northern without setting the world on fire. Whites selection will tell me we are trying to see what the players on the list are capable of before the draft. This is probably Whites last chance in the seniors if he's selected.

Watson had no form before he was selected in the side, and Casbault had played one match in the VFL development side and one for Northern without setting the world on fire. Whites selection will tell me we are trying to see what the players on the list are capable of before the draft. This is probably Whites last chance in the seniors if he's selected.

Brock was BOG constantly in 2's yet overlooked until injuries. Yarran pointed out for laziness and lack of effort yet picked the next week. Maybe it's why the coach was sacked? It's a mystery that eludes me.

Brock was BOG constantly in 2's yet overlooked until injuries. Yarran pointed out for laziness and lack of effort yet picked the next week. Maybe it's why the coach was sacked? It's a mystery that eludes me.

doubt it, i think that coach is back again now.

Its one thing to be a KPP in a team where every other available KPP was injured except Thornton and Jameson. Its another to be BOG in the 2s as a midfielder when the senior midfield consists of the likes of Judd, Murphy and Simpson who were still fit at the time. I wouldnt drop any of those for Mclean.

That is fair enough but there clearly seems some inconsistency in team selection, Gartlett had approx 8 games in which his form was awful, Joseph has had some ordinary ones, but is one of the favourites, other clubs will be lurking around Watson & Lucas if we are not careful, again for a young player on the way up there was no logical reason for Watson's omission certainly not for Davies or White, Thornton is just clearly not liked.

The coach loved/loves his old Calder Cannons captain Brock and was disgusted in Yarran so how would you think that he would have anything to do with Brock not getting promoted but Yazza was. Edited for accuracy 'Maybe it's why the coach quit' (sacked Coach - I assume you are talking about Hyde)

Very disappointed 3 key plays in which Thornton was involved in which won us the game.

No doubt T-bird did some good things.
However, I think his work rate is not where it needs to be. Robbo said a few weeks ago that he had good mail that T-bird had put his cue int he rack. This looks very possible.

I like Thornton, but I don't think he is the future. And purely on team balance, Waite is in our top couple of players, and Levi is a better option for back-up ruck.

doubt it, i think that coach is back again now.

Its one thing to be a KPP in a team where every other available KPP was injured except Thornton and Jameson. Its another to be BOG in the 2s as a midfielder when the senior midfield consists of the likes of Judd, Murphy and Simpson who were still fit at the time. I wouldnt drop any of those for Mclean.

Good point, Brock admitted he didn't take his chance vs Bombers. Ellard had 38 touches for NB's so hard to deny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing White in for a big game could be a big mistake, hasn't played in a while and could struggle to keep up with the pace just like Davies did. Hope he plays well and performs in his role.

Also, don't think we should be dropping Thornton, I think he was involved in a few important plays for us in the Tigers game, he deserves to keep his spot.

I think this is us testing our players to see who's worth keeping or not since the flag is most likely out of reach now.

The club seems to be rotating through players who are possibly on the list to be out the door at the end of the year. I think a couple of have been inked in as certainties and a couple might have been penciled in as possibles.

A number of players are on the list to get a contract at the end of the season and a couple will probably be offered contracts after trade week (read T-Bird and Rusty) is no opportunities arrive on their doorsteps.

But that being said... I wouldnt mind Casboult and Bell staying in the side. Dale to get a run with the Bullants

I would have my outs as Dale, Davies, Duigan and McInnes (he needs a rest now) for Robbo, Waite, Lucas and Watson.

my Lineup would be:

Tuohy Jamison Thornton
Yarran Watson Scotland
Gibbs Carrazzo Lucas
Collins Waite Robinson
Garlett Casboult Betts

Kreuzer Murphy McLean

int: Bell, Curnow, Joseph, Armfield

If you wanted to tinker around some more, I would swap Joseph or Betts (rested) for Ellard

We are playing on a smaller surface at Jihad so pace around the ground isnt that essential and Ellard would make a good small forward for us (considering thats what he was recruited to be for us).

If T goes for White he would have to get the message that he is not wanted
White would come in for McInness or Duigan. Waite would come in for Thornton.

Anyway, the past couple of weeks the pattern has been rotating all our list-clogging spuds to see which one not to delist at the end of the year - Bower, Russell, Davies, Thornton, White. Presumably they'e already made a decision on Kerr or he'd have been selected too.

Lol at Betts rested for what will be the toughest game we have left. Sorry D-man, but that's just ludacris.

Think Robbo will play too.

IN: Waite, Robinson, White, Simpson
OUT: Thornton, Davies, Dale, Duigan

Tuohy, Jamison, Joseph
McInnes, White, Yarran
Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson
Collins, Waite, Armfield
Garlett, Casboult, Betts
Kreuzer, McLean, Carrazzo

Bell, Curnow, Scotland, Robinson

IIRC White can play back or forward. Waite needs to play if fit, Robbo is a no-brainer. Simpson and Walker can have a week in the NBs to stake their claim although would not be upset if Tex good to go, as he is very versatile. Not saying Simmo has to prove anything to us, just to himself.

Starting to see some real flexibility in the side. Going to keep getting harder to pick the side when others return next week as well. Depth is starting to appear more like reality than myth.

Not out of it if we lose, definitely back in the thick of it if we win.

my Lineup would be:

Tuohy Jamison Thornton
Yarran Watson Scotland
Gibbs Carrazzo Lucas
Collins Waite Robinson
Garlett Casboult Betts

Kreuzer Murphy McLean

int: Bell, Curnow, Joseph, Armfield
In: Waite Simpson White
Out: Thornton Dale Duigan

B: Tuohy Jamison McInnes
HB: Yarran White Gibbs
C: Scotland Mclean Simpson
HF: Garlett Waite Collins
F: Betts Casboult Armfield
R: Kreuzer Carrazzo Murphy

I/C: Bell Curnow Joseph Sub: Davies
That is fair enough but there clearly seems some inconsistency in team selection, Gartlett had approx 8 games in which his form was awful, Joseph has had some ordinary ones, but is one of the favourites, other clubs will be lurking around Watson & Lucas if we are not careful, again for a young player on the way up there was no logical reason for Watson's omission certainly not for Davies or White, Thornton is just clearly not liked.
The omission of Watson was the right decision. There wasn't a good match up for Watto last week.

Garlett might be the type of player who needs to be kept in the side and given another game to hit form. Running around on a wet ground in the VFL wouldn't suit his game. Similar to Lucas and Yarran who suck at that level. Lucas isn't out of contract, so he won't be going anywhere without Carlton being compensated.

Knocking the probable out of Thornton would be as ludicrous as bagging the match committee for dropping Bell or Curnow to bring in Judd. Jarrad has to replace a tall if he's fit. Waite is a better footballer than Thornton. Casboult will be needed to play forward/ruck. Team balance says Bret has to go out. Someone had to draw the short straw.

Thornton should of been in playing as a forward for most of the season. The word on the street is that Ratten isn't a fan and vice-versa.

IIRC White can play back or forward. Waite needs to play if fit, Robbo is a no-brainer. Simpson and Walker can have a week in the NBs to stake their claim although would not be upset if Tex good to go, as he is very versatile. Not saying Simmo has to prove anything to us, just to himself.

Starting to see some real flexibility in the side. Going to keep getting harder to pick the side when others return next week as well. Depth is starting to appear more like reality than myth.

Not out of it if we lose, definitely back in the thick of it if we win.
As can McInnes, which means we can rotate him & White between back & forward, depending on match-ups. T-Bird, as much as I respect him, quite often looks shaky if required in defence (particularly when 15m from the opposition's goal, with an opponent 1-2m behind him).

Thornton should of been in playing as a forward for most of the season. The word on the street is that Ratten isn't a fan and vice-versa.
There was a lot of people saying that he was gone last year but he managed to rediscover himself as a utility with the ability to pop up forward and kick a few valuable goals. I think that this year with the number of injuries to KPP, the club has decided to try and get some games into the kids while we were struggling with injuries and now that we are somehow still in the hunt and we are getting back a number of senior players, the fringe players will start seeing less time on the field unless we need them for specific match ups/roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back