Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid win for round 4, but they still have things to work on going forward. The young guys were awesome tonight. Shout out to SDK. This kid is going to be a star. Smith really led the team tonight on the ground. I was very impressed. TBone did push Harris in the back, but shit happens in footy. People grumbling about that are morons. Five sausage rolls to TBone was a good night for him. We should've won by five goals probably, but this is round 4, so I don't mind the guys aren't playing at their full capacity yet. Also, given we had Selwood, Stewart, & Sav out, that was a good effort tonight.

Last edited:
He did some good things and I don’t like targeting Geelong players but it is factual that he backs out of 3-4 contests a game at least - not in my team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's crap. People confuse positioning his body to give him the best chance of getting the ball going our way with backing out of contests and it's BS. Go watch the leadup to the controversial Hawkins goal. Massive ground ball win in traffic from Miers to get the play started.

Was preparing a rant post after some really poor kicking around the ground, and for goal, in the third. Made it hard for ourselves.
Buuuut, cracked in to take control late on.
Solid win. Brissy are a serious team.

On the plus side:
Danger a beast. Sdk showing great promise. O’connor good. Smith really good. Close good.

Seems churlish to name names on the negative side of the ledger…. So I won’t .

Go cats!

We weren’t better without Sav.
Stanley was forced to go to the wings and contest rather than just running up and down the corridor stretching the ruck.

Blicavs also had to hit the wings. And ruck.

It messed with our structure.
Pretty damn good coaching to work around all of that.

Can it work now and again? Sure.
For 18 more weeks? No
Agree totally, and sincere apologies to you- somehow I thought you never watch these games.

Last edited:
That's crap. People confuse positioning his body to give him the best chance of getting the ball going our way with backing out of contests and it's BS. Go watch the leadup to the controversial Hawkins goal. Massive ground ball win in traffic from Miers to get the play started.

Mate I was there live and respect that we can all have different opinions but facts are facts Miers backs out of contests regularly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was complaining about umpiring for the first half (what’s new), but the second half went our way…so I shut up by the end. Hawk with 2 pushes - he never gets away with that.

The cats were superior overall. Poor kicking really kept the lions in it.

Smith is becoming my favourite player. He’s was bog tonight.

SDK was very solid despite beaten 1 on 1 a few times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just can't get over how completely different our game plan is this year. It's almost opposite.
It really is way more than just a tweak, isn't it? The willingness to pull the trigger from stoppages and try to go both fast and forward is such a refreshing change. I think you can see that the group is thriving on it as well, as they are clearly enjoying the extra space this tactic affords and the way it ratchets up the pace on the ball. Didn't capitalise on all the good looks we set up in our forward half tonight, but the signs that we can actually cut through and score rapidly when we get it right were definitely there again.

However, I have to say that I've been almost as impressed with how they've changed the system without the footy as well. Even though Hodge mentioned us 'guarding grass' in the call tonight, I see us being much more bold to try and stop the opposition's outlets at the source this season. Players seem far more prepared to come up to their opponent and pour on the pressure, rather than standing off or folding back. And, surprise, surprise, the opposition often make some sort of blunder when we do step up, enabling us to create a stoppage, find the boundary or even win the ball back cleanly via turnover. Who would have thought?

So the system with and without the ball looks different enough to suggest we're not just going through the motions for 2022 to me. Such an even performance tonight, with basically no passengers and plenty of quality contributions from the most inexperienced out there too. That and better will see us contend to win a lot of games yet again this season.

We. Are. Geelong.

Smith is becoming my favourite player. He’s was bog tonight.
Isaac has been nothing short of a revelation since joining the hoops. Brilliant debut season with us last year, and absolutely back to his best tonight.

Just a thoroughbred of the highest order, who is clearly relishing his new lease of life at the Cats.

Love him.

I thought Hawkins was superb. He could have had 7 easily. Love the saltiness over the push. Yeah it was a push and while we are at it how about the 49228 frees he hasn't been paid over the years?? Suck it!

Smith also superb. That running power and penetrating kicking is exactly what we needed.

Blicavs next was excellent all around the ground and giving Stanley a chop-out. One of his better games in several years and when he plays like that I remember he's a better utility than he is a KPD.

I thought Mires and O'Connor were important returning. Again, their running power is elite and so important when you want to keep the ball moving. Miers made a couple of blues but was also very creative and important with the ball.

Also thought the backline as a unit was very good. Henry's form still worries me a bit but he can only get better. SDK showed his best signs yet, particularly with the marking. Atkins and Bews did well to keep their dangerous smalls quiet.

Overall a very good win missing Stewart and Selwood. Some hard selection decisions coming up. Good launchpad for top 4.

giphy.gif

I’m not saying it wasn’t. I object to them making out it cost brisbane the game, and also they got some dodgy calls going their way too, like that blatantly obvious non call of the close in the back.

Yeah I agree it didn't make any difference. I'm so disgusted with the commentary now I try very hard to not listen at all.

I thought Hawkins was superb. He could have had 7 easily. Love the saltiness over the push. Yeah it was a push and while we are at it how about the 49228 frees he hasn't been paid over the years?? Suck it!

Someone legit said this tonight

“Porkins would kick half the amount of goals if the umps weren't dumb fu**s”

Despite how parlous our KPD stocks are right now, it simply doesn't bear thinking about where we would be if the King wasn't underlining how talented and adept he already is back there. Long way to go, of course. But him getting so much right so early is a brilliant indicator of a very bright future.

IWWT.

just watched scotty's presser... seriously how can anyone claim he is arrogant or whatever you want to label him?? he has to be one of the happiest most respectful well thought out coaches in the AFL when he does his pressers.

before he goes on he even pauses and asks if they would like him to wait for others to be seated?? seems to give well thoughtful answers and does not do a prick of a bevo style with his attacks and sooks.

i am trying to see these clips of this apparent arrogance and wouldnt mind a link to see such thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back