Review Cats drop Bombers by 45 at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Fan bandwagon in preseason got called the doritos express because the people on the train liked doritos. So every time he looked close to a debut it was a doritos party.

Thought it was a Mexican reference-Doritos ad.

But I missed the train, again.

I wish Close got more of the ball because he is so good with it. Is mega elite for retention on inside 50 kicks, goal assists (despite being low on disposal numbers) and goal kicking accuracy this season. We need to get him involved as much as possible. Imagine if we somehow got him as prolific at ball winning as Miers.
X2 Mr M !

Good things happen when Brad gets the footy , just a feeling but I suspect we don't lose many games when he gets it around 15 times per game.
Impactful , creative and nearly always selects the right option. Gun !

X2 Mr M !

Good things happen when Brad gets the footy , just a feeling but I suspect we don't lose many games when he gets it around 15 times per game.
Impactful , creative and nearly always selects the right option. Gun !
And to think someone on here wanted to drop him on the weekend!

cat run away GIF

I like the look of the team when Blitz, SDK and Neale share the load in the ruck. Each are decent in their own way. Much better than bringing in Stanley IMO.

Hate to say it but our team looks a lot better with Rohan in too. He does a lot of things Ollie can't...

And would love to see Mannagh have a run next week. Maybe give Clark a rest.

Thought Tuoy showed good speed and agression off half back.

And Lawson stays in the team for good, he's a damaging kick and actually laid some great tackles... Oisin can go back to the VFL for a few weeks and maybe learn to become a tagger in the midfield.

Stewart starts in the enter square rest of the season. We need those big bodies in there and otherwise teams will continue to tag him and destroy our younger players.

Last edited:
I like the look of the team when Blitz, SDK and Neale share the load in the ruck. Each are decent in their own way. Much better than bringing in Stanley IMO.

Hate to say it but our team looks a lot better with Rohan in too. He does a lot of things Ollie can't...

And would love to see Mannagh have a run through the guts next week. Maybe give Clark a rest.
They really should find a way to get Mannagh in. Let's see what he's got at the top level. Hawthorn the perfect opponent to try him out, it will red-hot early.

And to think someone on here wanted to drop him on the weekend!

cat run away GIF

Exactly what I was thinking. He did go quiet for a bit recently, but we don't know what his game targets were.
Also for all the Tuohey pensioner talk, he was named among the best.
And with Stanley and Conway, niggling injuries have obviously affected them.

And would love to see Mannagh have a run next week. Maybe give Clark a rest.

Thought Tuoy showed good speed and agression off half back.

And Lawson stays in the team for good, he's a damaging kick and actually laid some great tackles... Oisin can go back to the VFL for a few weeks and maybe learn to become a tagger in the midfield.

Stewart starts in the enter square rest of the season. We need those big bodies in there and otherwise teams will continue to tag him and destroy our younger players.

Well balanced side I agree.
I think Clohesy and Mannagh need to get a run soon plus agree on Mullin - I'd have him play mid in the VFL with a view to having him play mid in the 1's next season - he's got all the physical attributes just needs games exposure.
Fantastic debut by Humphries - he looks a keeper , natural footballer with great skills and ran the game out very strongly.
He will play some quiet games but worth persevering with just like Knevitt.

As I said, and as confirmed in your post, there is no evidence to support it. There is only speculation. You have avoided dealing with the last sentence of my post.

So a game that involved kicking and leaping up and marking the ball at its highest point didn’t have correlation with what is now AFL

Exactly what I was thinking. He did go quiet for a bit recently, but we don't know what his game targets were.
Also for all the Tuohey pensioner talk, he was named among the best.
And with Stanley and Conway, niggling injuries have obviously affected them.
Yes someone posted about a possible defensive role effecting his numbers and that got me thinking.

What was the verdict on Knevitts performance. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but didn't catch my eye except for a couple decent marks.

I thought he was decent. He's not playing a role that's likely to be eye catching. But he seems to be a solid defensive winger at the level and hopefully in time he can add some more attacking layers.

I'd give him a few games in a row. I think Tuohy's best is still better so he'll be preferred come finals but hopefully Knevitt can get some confidence and be ready to be best 22 and go up a couple of levels next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the verdict on Knevitts performance. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but didn't catch my eye except for a couple decent marks.
He was basically tagging a winger. Would have liked to have seen more involvement regardless but a few goal saving marks and a goal himself shows his gut running both ways has some uses

I’ll preface this by acknowledging Jezza is laconic in nature but a freak of a player, but has anyone else noticed the lack of desperation in his play. At his age, I’d expect him to be leading by example in the forward line, especially with Hawk out. Maybe layback bone crunching tackle or 2? Bust a pack wide open? Chase down a loose ball?
It may be just a body language thing, but to me he looks like a gifted player who is very happy now he’s won a flag.
Did notice a lack of second effort in some of his contests on Saturday.
Hard to assess just from tv replays. I don’t think he’s ever been a bust the pack kind of guy but I agree sometimes looks like he is in cruise mode.

So a game that involved kicking and leaping up and marking the ball at its highest point didn’t have correlation with what is now AFL
The game in the late 1850s and 1860s didn’t involve leaping up and marking the ball at its highest point. It was a mixture of rugby and soccer. It was first to 2 goals for many years and even that was often not achieved in an afternoon. Gradually it evolved through trial and error.

Geelong Cats vs Essendon

VOTES

9 -
Oliver Dempsey (GEEL)
5 - Jye Caldwell (ESS)
5 - Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
5 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
2 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Nic Martin (ESS)

Holmes is in equal 17th overall.

Geelong Cats vs Essendon

VOTES

9 -
Oliver Dempsey (GEEL)
5 - Jye Caldwell (ESS)
5 - Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
5 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
2 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Nic Martin (ESS)

Holmes is in equal 17th overall.
Goes to show that coaches watch it differently to us fans. I would have thought universally we might have had Bowes in the best and maybe also Rohan for impact? Even Danger who was brutal at times?

But I it looks to me like CS (hard to really know who gave what) was really happy with 2E doing his role and also Duncan.

Now I am trying to work out which one of those players got a 5 from one coach and zero from the other? (It must of happened as Ollie got 4 from one coach so someone must have got 5 but no body else got more than 5).

To me I can’t imagine CS giving Caldwell zero? He was Essendon best and surely we give them 1 player in top 5? So maybe CS was so happy with what 2E did in new back line role that he said most important? But Brad didn’t notice him? As I say I suspect both coaches would have given Max and Jye some love?

My guess

CS. Touhy 5, Dempsey 4, Holmes 3, Stewart 2, Caldwell 1
BS. Dempsey 5, Caldwell 4, Duncan 3, Holmes 2, Martin 1

I’m really actually shocked and annoyed with how hard the commentators are going on about these decisions. I guess there wasn’t much else to talk about on the weekend? Geewiz, give it a rest!
Is it because it happened against a ‘big 4’ club?
No wonder the umps are second guessing everything

I’m really actually shocked and annoyed with how hard the commentators are going on about these decisions. I guess there wasn’t much else to talk about on the weekend? Geewiz, give it a rest!
Is it because it happened against a ‘big 4’ club?
No wonder the umps are second guessing everything
It's clickbait. Get the fans all worked up and they tune in to the BS reviews.

It's 101 marketing but sadly here too often it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back