Strong hands Magee

Senior List
Aug 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Catters!
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...lockbuster-draw/2008/10/01/1222651172061.html

Cats to get tougher 'blockbuster' draw
Jake Niall | October 2, 2008

GEELONG is likely to be granted its request for a tougher "blockbuster" draw in 2009, with the AFL indicating that it will probably schedule the Cats to play Hawthorn and Collingwood twice, with a grand final re-match in round one being given strong consideration.

Geelong, which did not play a home game at the MCG this year despite its draw-card status, is likely to be granted its official request to play home games against Hawthorn and the Magpies — the only teams to beat it in 2008 — and to play each of them twice at the MCG.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan said last night that the Cats had played Hawthorn and Collingwood once each in 2008 and it was likely they would meet these teams twice in 2009, though next year's fixture was not settled.

"We've just started the fixturing process, but playing the grand final teams in round one has some merit and it (Port Adelaide versus Geelong) was a great success this year," said McLachlan. A grand final re-match in round one was not automatic, however, and would only be scheduled on a year-by-year basis he said.

McLachlan said it "does make sense" for Geelong and Hawthorn to play twice after they had played off in a grand final in 2008; the grand final combatants attracted the home-and-away season's second highest attendance (more than 86,000), after Collingwood-Essendon on Anzac Day, and broke the 100,000 barrier at the grand final for the first time since 1986. "It's something we're certainly considering and it does make sense."

McLachlan indicated that it was also probable that Geelong's request to play Collingwood twice — which it had asked for last year, without success — would be granted. He said the attendances those games were capable of drawing meant the matches would be suitable for the MCG.

Geelong has not played Collingwood twice in a season for the past five seasons and was the away team when the Magpies upset them by 86 points in round nine before more than 78,000 fans.

Geelong has also requested that its home games against the Hawks and Magpies be scheduled at the MCG, where the Cats wish to play two of their 11 home games, with the balance at Skilled Stadium in Geelong.

Some observers at club level believe that the fact Geelong played perhaps the teams that troubled it most — Hawthorn, Collingwood and the third-ranked Bulldogs — only once did not help the Cats' cause on grand final day.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the club had run its requests to play those teams twice past the football department, which had approved. Cook said the club wanted to play those clubs twice — as it requested last year — despite its record against them. "We haven't been too good against those two teams."

Cook confirmed that Geelong had sought two games at the MCG and nine at Geelong; last year, it played eight at Skilled Stadium and three home games at Telstra Dome against Essendon, Carlton and Richmond. Cook said it had not played before 50,000 once in a home game in 2008.

Sounds very good, but does that mean GFC have requested no home games at Telstra Dome? :confused:

I guess it has taken 2 years for the AFL to reallise that we can pull a crowd. Bloody assholes, But playing the pies and the hawks twice both times at the G (meaning at least 4 games at the G for the year) would be terrific for us. (not to mention the Clubs coffers) We have a lot of anger to take out on those clubs next year. So the hawks wont get a soft game at Launceston against us...bloody wonderful!

4 MCG matches rather than Telstra Dome would be awesome.

Does anyone know when the draw usually comes out? I can't remember from past years?

I already want redemtion and am keen on planning next years games out!

Agree with people here. A few home games at the 'G' is great. Stuff the phone dome. Is it to late to reconstruct Waverly?

"A grand final re-match in round one was not automatic, however, and would only be scheduled on a year-by-year basis he said."

What a croc. Just do it. They must be scared that this traditional game would never involve Collingwood.

Does this mean we'll play St. Kilda at Skilled Stadium for the first time since 2004?
I mean, if we're going to play 2 Home Games at the MCG against Collingwood and Hawthorn and the rest at Skilled Stadium, then we'll probably be playing St. Kilda at Kardinia Park, since St. Kilda did so well this year and they deserve to play us twice.
Does everybody get me?
I would be jumping up and down in the air if it actually happened! :D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:
God, please allow it to happen! :D:D

Does this mean we'll play St. Kilda at Skilled Stadium for the first time since 2004?
I mean, if we're going to play 2 Home Games at the MCG against Collingwood and Hawthorn and the rest at Skilled Stadium, then we'll probably be playing St. Kilda at Kardinia Park, since St. Kilda did so well this year and they deserve to play us twice.
Does everybody get me?
I would be jumping up and down in the air if it actually happened! :D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:
God, please allow it to happen! :D:D

That last Saints v Cats game at Skilled was an absolute pearler of match too - remember it well

That last Saints v Cats game at Skilled was an absolute pearler of match too - remember it well

Scarlett's goal was a classic. Awesome day that was. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sounds all good, but what will happen to member's reserved seats at TD- will they be transferred automatically over to the home games at the G? I, personally love my seats at TD (right next to the players race on L1), but eh if this is better for the club, then suppose will just have to accept it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to an article in today's AGE:

In the draft of the fixture we play Hawthorn in the GF rematch in Round 1 on the Friday night and we also have the Easter Thursday night match vs Collingwood which is in Round 3.

They will both be big money makers so hopefully 1 of them will be our "home" game.

Awesome. Not only the money but for the team it will be great to be tested a few more times during the year. This year we only really had two big tests before the finals, passing one and failing miserably in the other.

This year we only really had two big tests before the finals, passing one and failing miserably in the other.

When we talk about blockbuster games we're refering to 60,000 plus people not the skill of the opposition. I'm all for having more blockbuster games but I certainly wouldn't mistake it as meaning they're a "big test". Most of our interstate games this year were big tests plus games against the bulldogs and North. Dose anyone seriously think we lost the GF cause we weren't used to big crowds?

When we talk about blockbuster games we're refering to 60,000 plus people not the skill of the opposition. I'm all for having more blockbuster games but I certainly wouldn't mistake it as meaning they're a "big test". Most of our interstate games this year were big tests plus games against the bulldogs and North. Dose anyone seriously think we lost the GF cause we weren't used to big crowds?

Not because we were not used to big crowds, but we only had three games this year where there was massive build up. Dogs, Pies and Hawks. It didn't prepare us real well for big finals games.

The interstate games were not really big tests.

Not because we were not used to big crowds, but we only had three games this year where there was massive build up. Dogs, Pies and Hawks. It didn't prepare us real well for big finals games.

The interstate games were not really big tests.

Yep. I get what your saying now when you use that term. Although in this day of professionalism the coaching staff would argue that every game should have the same "build up" regardless of media attention. The players are only human though so you could have a point.

I guess I don't want to see Geelong supporters become tricked into thinking that people walking through turnstyles means more to the club than premierships. As long as our bottom line is fine we shouldn't worry about being the biggest club in the universe as some other clubs would have you believe they are.

Rd 1. Geelong v Hawthorn Friday night.

Our home game. $$$$$$$

Play this game at Kardinia Park. $$$$$$$

Sell the game to an interstate venue. $$$$$$$

There's plenty of ways to make $$$$$$$'s. Only one way to win a premiership.

(and remember. I'm not against 'blockbuster games' & can't wait for round one. Hope I get in. I'm just knowing that they're not the be all & end all of our GFC following lives)

Yep. I get what your saying now when you use that term. Although in this day of professionalism the coaching staff would argue that every game should have the same "build up" regardless of media attention. The players are only human though so you could have a point.

I guess I don't want to see Geelong supporters become tricked into thinking that people walking through turnstyles means more to the club than premierships. As long as our bottom line is fine we shouldn't worry about being the biggest club in the universe as some other clubs would have you believe they are.

For mine the desire to play those 3 teams twice, particularly hawthorn and the pies, doesn't have anything to do with money and/or crowd figures. It has more to do with the fact that those 2 teams mentioned previously have an annoying tendency to play out of their skin against us time and time again. And thereby exposing weaknesses in our playing style which I'm sure would have helped us in the granny. Having dominated the season like we had, it might have lulled some of the players into a false sense of "invincibility". It just so happens that 2 of those teams have larger than average crowd-pulling power but that's just a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats to get tougher 'blockbuster' draw in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back