News Cats to go defensive

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107007/default.aspx

THE FREE-flowing football that took Geelong to three consecutive grand finals will be a thing of the past in 2011 under new coach Chris Scott.

New Geelong vice-captain Joel Selwood said a hallmark of the better sides in recent years was their strong defensive units and it was something the Cats would look to work on as they embarked on life without Thompson and star Gary Ablett.

Good to hear...definitely want to see more focus on defensive aspects, as well as getting the ball out of our defence, and less over handballing.

Like what Joel says about Chris Scott too...if our captain in waiting is impressed by him, that's the makings of a good future working pair, and is really good for the club.

Only way to go If he's going if he's going to play the same old faces and thats been signaled with the appointment of Ling as captain.Don't expect to see to many of the younger brigade unless the wheels start to fall off.(bloody negative this morning)

On a brighter note it all say's he's having a crack at the 2011 flag and that should be the first option.

Sounds all good to tighten the defensive play including midfield, but, I would've thought the forwardline is where the fixin ort to be.
I'm hoping we find a couple of mid sized forwards to replace the migets, Stevie J will find more space and be less tagged with another one or two mid sized in there.
One or two smalls like Stokes, Byrnes or Chapman is enough.

We need to kick more goals as well!

Sounds all good to tighten the defensive play including midfield, but, I would've thought the forwardline is where the fixin ort to be.
I'm hoping we find a couple of mid sized forwards to replace the migets, Stevie J will find more space and be less tagged with another one or two mid sized in there.
One or two smalls like Stokes, Byrnes or Chapman is enough.

We need to kick more goals as well!
Actually, Geelong kicked more goals in 2010 than any other team.

Does that mean Joel didn't see us as one of the better teams in recent years? :confused:

I can understand us tweaking our game-plan slightly to incorporate a more defensive mind-set, but that article suggests to me we're going to go the exact opposite to what's got us to 4 consecutive top 4 finishes and a 83% winning record over the last four years.

I know we do need to improve this year to keep up with the likes of Collingwood, but I'm not entirely sure completely revamping our game plan, which that article suggests we're going to, is the answer.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

In 2011 I may get to call Geelong games snorefests ;)

With a few minor tweaks (and they must only be minor) you will be in contention again. Personally don't buy the theory that Geelong are done, and this willingness to evolve just confirms it.

I know we do need to improve this year to keep up with the likes of Collingwood, but I'm not entirely sure completely revamping our game plan, which that article suggests we're going to, is the answer.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I just hope it's not a repeat of 1993, where the coach can't decide for most of the season how he wants them to play, only for them to click at the end and miss the finals.

Look how long it took the Cats to master the Bomber free flow game. Let's hope the defensive game is mastered quicker.
Didn't take that long, if I remember correctly he only decided to implement that style pre-2007.

I just hope it's not a repeat of 1993, where the coach can't decide for most of the season how he wants them to play, only for them to click at the end and miss the finals.

You and me both.

The only thing that bothered me with the way we played last season was the excessive lateral and backward handballing across half back which put everyone under unneccessary pressure, and played into the hands of both Collingwood with their forward 50 pressure, and St.Kilda with their frontal zones. Not surprising we lost 4 of the 5 games we played against those two sides last year. Not surprising either that when we decided to go long and direct against both those sides, we could rack up a score quickly (just look at the second term against the Pies in Round 19, and the second half of the qualifying final against the Saints for proof of that.)

What we needed to do IMO was try and get the ball into Wojo's or Taylor Hunt's hands to try and run through the zone, or Josh's hands to kick over the top of it.

You and me both.

The only thing that bothered me with the way we played last season was the excessive lateral and backward handballing across half back which put everyone under unneccessary pressure, and played into the hands of both Collingwood with their forward 50 pressure, and St.Kilda with their frontal zones. Not surprising we lost 4 of the 5 games we played against those two sides last year. Not surprising either that when we decided to go long and direct against both those sides, we could rack up a score quickly (just look at the second term against the Pies in Round 19, and the second half of the qualifying final against the Saints for proof of that.)

What we needed to do IMO was try and get the ball into Wojo's or Taylor Hunt's hands to try and run through the zone, or Josh's hands to kick over the top of it.

You can chuck the game against the Crows at AAMI into that basket too. Completely unnecessary use of handball putting team mates under pressure. It was almost as if they were just doing it for the sake of it. A few of these games should give Scott et al. a pretty good idea of a few things that need to be modified. I doubt the whole game plan will be reversed. Scott was probably quoted out of context

I wouldn't be alarmed by this news, in fact I'm very happy to hear it. Last year our offensive play was good enough, it was our defensive side that let us down. We simply weren't desperate enough in that area against St Kilda and Collingwood. Look at how hard they - Collingwood in particular - made it for us, eg in our getting the ball out of our backline. Now it's our turn to tighten the screws and that is a good thing.

Our scoring from stoppages last year was still the best and although it will take a hit with you know who leaving we still have enough talent for this area to continue to be a strength. What needs improvement is causing the opposition to turn the ball over and the workrate that this requires. I think this is what Selwood is referring to and I'm looking forward to seeing this sort of desperation again - I don't think we've seen it since 2007 when we were the best team defensively as well as offensively. We got by on pure talent ever since '07 and over time this bred laziness, culminating in our inept showing in our last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the tone of the article was to increase a defensive stance and pressure, but I didn't get the sense that it was a major shift. I took from it more of a polishing and sculpting of the existing plans ( which Chris Scott has publicly aluded to with the dont fix what aint broken approach)....

I tend to read a lot more emphasis on defensive pressure.

Im not in the loop as much as you guys so its only my take but I dont think Scott would get too far from what has clearly been the game changing winning formula for 4 years....

It needs tweaking not renovating......

and Winty hit the nail on the head... the over handball/ possession in Def 50 that usually put someone else in the fire ( eps Coll and Stk) is a major issue.

If we can get that movement back and go direct rather than via the cape ( ty Rex) our success went up...

I still believe we have the experience, desire and skill to make a very serious run

Go Catters!

Actually, Geelong kicked more goals in 2010 than any other team.

Well we didn't kick enough against those that mattered, did we!
Apart from stevie J and the Pods, we really didn't have genuine forwards that contributed, obviously the rest did their bit.
Like I said! scrambling goals through midfilders doesn't work that well against the top teams, St Kilda, Collingwood, etc.

But yeah, you're right, 2700+ pts for the year was AFL best, but in those games when intimidation was on the fwds, the Saints game for example, would like to see an extra Johnson size fwd in the fray rather than to many smalls.

Duncan or Menzell may be the change up we need this year IMO.

Apart from stevie J and the Pods, we really didn't have genuine forwards that contributed, obviously the rest did their bit.
Like I said! scrambling goals through midfilders doesn't work that well against the top teams, St Kilda, Collingwood, etc.
But is that the forwards' fault?

Probably not. I'd say the frequency and way the ball came into the forward line was subpar in those matches.

But yeah, you're right, 2700+ pts for the year was AFL best, but in those games when intimidation was on the fwds, the Saints game for examplewould like to see an extra Johnson size fwd in the fray rather than to many smallsDuncan or Menzell may be the change up we need this year IMO.

Ummm you do realize Stokes was our highest scoring forward of the finals series 2010:D

I don't think we're completely changing the gameplan, you couldn't do it well in one pre season, I just read it as more of an emphasis on defensive pressure. If that's the way we go, I totally agree, and if we are to have a crack at beating Collingwood St Kilda etc it's the only way to go. We showed even in those games that we could be devastating in attacking bursts, but we must lift in two areas, not getting caught into turnovers by their defensive pressure, and lifting our defensive pressure to pressure tham into more turnovers. Blind Freddie could see (pardon the pun) that these are areas we'll have to focus on if we want to win the flag. I don't think we'll abandon our attacking play, in fact I think we need to attack more...i.e. instead of so many lateral handballs, get it into the hands of our quicker players and tell them to bolt straight forward. Just combine that with an emphasis on more defensive pressure across the board (and guys like Mackie who are weak defensively being challenged to lift defensively) and we're in with a real show. The key however, is if Scott is going to put more of an emphasis on defence than in 2010, he's going to have to be ballsy enough to pick the fittest 22 even if that means leaving out one or two guys who are in on talent but hobbling body wise. The change will only work if he does.

Ummm you do realize Stokes was our highest scoring forward of the finals series 2010:D

He also won us the game against Hawthorn the 2nd time.

In the 5 Collingwood or Saints games SJ kicked 1,1,2,2,1. Not a terrible return for a medium forward but not much to speak of.

In the 4 games Pods played against those two he kicked 1,0,1,1. Not much really. Not to attack either player but I'm not sure why they get a pass ahead of the rest of the forwards.

He also won us the game against Hawthorn the 2nd time.

In the 5 Collingwood or Saints games SJ kicked 1,1,2,2,1. Not a terrible return for a medium forward but not much to speak of.

In the 4 games Pods played against those two he kicked 1,0,1,1. Not much really. Not to attack either player but I'm not sure why they get a pass ahead of the rest of the forwards.

That's a fair question jimmy.h. Can't wait for the answer.:thumbsu:

I don't think we're completely changing the gameplan, you couldn't do it well in one pre season, I just read it as more of an emphasis on defensive pressure. If that's the way we go, I totally agree, and if we are to have a crack at beating Collingwood St Kilda etc it's the only way to go. We showed even in those games that we could be devastating in attacking bursts, but we must lift in two areas, not getting caught into turnovers by their defensive pressure, and lifting our defensive pressure to pressure tham into more turnovers. Blind Freddie could see (pardon the pun) that these are areas we'll have to focus on if we want to win the flag. I don't think we'll abandon our attacking play, in fact I think we need to attack more...i.e. instead of so many lateral handballs, get it into the hands of our quicker players and tell them to bolt straight forward. Just combine that with an emphasis on more defensive pressure across the board (and guys like Mackie who are weak defensively being challenged to lift defensively) and we're in with a real show. The key however, is if Scott is going to put more of an emphasis on defence than in 2010, he's going to have to be ballsy enough to pick the fittest 22 even if that means leaving out one or two guys who are in on talent but hobbling body wise. The change will only work if he does.

Not reading until it has at least 3 paragraphs :)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Cats to go defensive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back