Analysis Centre Bounce/Wing Attendance Megathread 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit I thought Reville might have been sub this week considering his low time on ground in the last quarters for the past two rounds but instead almost the opposite happened as he took Hugh's inside midfield time after he was subbed off with Wilmot and Ah Chee providing cover on the wing and Brain playing down back to replace Wilmot.

WA 2024 - Round 10.png
CBA 2024 - Round 10.png

I must admit I thought Reville might have been sub this week considering his low time on ground in the last quarters for the past two rounds but instead almost the opposite happened as he took Hugh's inside midfield time after he was subbed off with Wilmot and Ah Chee providing cover on the wing and Brain playing down back to replace Wilmot.

View attachment 1995502
View attachment 1995503
A lot more centre bounces for Cam this week, particularly third quarter. Didn't manage a clearance though which is unusual. It spreads the load for the three regulars as well.

Not too many changes this week, Bailey takes some of Sharp's time on the wing and Reville plays a full game out. Similar to last week I predicted that Reville would be sub but I'm just going to assume he won't be going forward!

WA 2024 - Round 11.png

CBA 2024 - Round 11.png

Not too many changes this week, Bailey takes some of Sharp's time on the wing and Reville plays a full game out. Similar to last week I predicted that Reville would be sub but I'm just going to assume he won't be going forward!

View attachment 2005229

View attachment 2005230
There's no way known we have enough players cycling through centre bounces. Would be interesting to compare the amount of players we have attend 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% and 60% of centre bounces compared to other clubs. I'd suggest that most contending clubs don't have a drop off from their #5 to #6 player of 52% to 15%.

There's no way known we have enough players cycling through centre bounces. Would be interesting to compare the amount of players we have attend 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% and 60% of centre bounces compared to other clubs. I'd suggest that most contending clubs don't have a drop off from their #5 to #6 player of 52% to 15%.
It varies amongst clubs, you can have a look yourself here - https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/

Hugh out on a wing this week to allow Berry to gain more inside time to tag Bontempelli. Interesting to see whether we structure that way again in the future as Hugh is a big step up on the wing from Bailey but does the midfield balance still work week-to-week?

WA 2024 - Round 13.png
CBA 2024 - Round 13.png

I think when Ashcroft returns Ah Chee spot on the team may be in jeopardy.
They will have to drop someone, at present i would go Ah Chee over Reville.
But Reville will have to keep up his form and possibly improve a bit the next month.

Agree McCluggage better than Bailey on the wing as relief.
Then you have Berry available for some wing time when Ashcroft returns.
Ashcroft could also play wing on his return to ease him back into AFL footy
Will be interesting to see what they do when Ashcroft returns.

I think when Ashcroft returns Ah Chee spot on the team may be in jeopardy.
They will have to drop someone, at present i would go Ah Chee over Reville.
But Reville will have to keep up his form and possibly improve a bit the next month.

Agree McCluggage better than Bailey on the wing as relief.
Then you have Berry available for some wing time when Ashcroft returns.
Ashcroft could also play wing on his return to ease him back into AFL footy
Will be interesting to see what they do when Ashcroft returns.
Been saying for a while that I think AhChee is a perfect sub considering he can play anywhere on the ground.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Ashcroft spends a bit more time wing/forward rather than in the guts when he first comes back in so it will be an interesting decision.
I would personally go AhChee to sub and Reville remains in the 22, but it is probably a 50/50.

Been saying for a while that I think AhChee is a perfect sub considering he can play anywhere on the ground.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Ashcroft spends a bit more time wing/forward rather than in the guts when he first comes back in so it will be an interesting decision.
I would personally go AhChee to sub and Reville remains in the 22, but it is probably a 50/50.

And Reville plays forward?

Well I thought that while the game might be boring to watch, at least I wouldn't have to do too much work here. Instead this game had the most centre bounces since I started tracking wing attendances back in early 2022. Ross always finds a way to screw me!

Interesting that we've started switching the "Cam Rayner starts the first centre bounce of every quarter in the middle" tactic with "Hugh McCluggage starts every quarter on the wing". Fascinating stuff!

WA 2024 - Round 14.png
CBA 2024 - Round 14.png

Well I thought that while the game might be boring to watch, at least I wouldn't have to do too much work here. Instead this game had the most centre bounces since I started tracking wing attendances back in early 2022. Ross always finds a way to screw me!

Interesting that we've started switching the "Cam Rayner starts the first centre bounce of every quarter in the middle" tactic with "Hugh McCluggage starts every quarter on the wing". Fascinating stuff!

View attachment 2022976
View attachment 2022977

Will be interested to see what happens when Ashcroft comes back. I suspect Reville may be the one to come out of the side for him but it will be interesting to see how the wing rotations pan out.

Will be interested to see what happens when Ashcroft comes back. I suspect Reville may be the one to come out of the side for him but it will be interesting to see how the wing rotations pan out.
Interesting that Reville after just 6 games is getting the highest percentage of wing time.
Also noticed at one point during the game on the weekend that Fletcher and Fages having a fairly heated and quite long discussion on the sidelines after he gave a turnover which resulted in a Saints goal I believe.
Not sure if it was on tv or not (haven’t watched a replay yet) but it appeared as though it may have been a structural thing, that maybe he didn’t adhere to.
Lots of pointing to particular areas of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Reville after just 6 games is getting the highest percentage of wing time.
Also noticed at one point during the game on the weekend that Fletcher and Fages having a fairly heated and quite long discussion on the sidelines after he gave a turnover which resulted in a Saints goal I believe.
Not sure if it was on tv or not (haven’t watched a replay yet) but it appeared as though it may have been a structural thing, that maybe he didn’t adhere to.
It was on tv. It looked pointed but measured from what i saw. Relatively constructive.

Rayner 3 CBAs last quarter for 2 CBCs. When we were getting pantsed. He is a tease of a player but those 2 clearances were against the tide and impressive

Wasn't really heated. Fages gave advice and then gave him a bit of a hug. It's the Elixuh way.

These guys are making me work too hard! Nothing very unusual this week, holding to the usual patterns.

I'd expect some changes this week if Ashcroft comes back in to the seniors. Going off last season I'd be surprised if he gets any wing time though, having only two early season games where he spent a considerable amount of time on the wing.

WA 2024 - Round 15.png
CBA 2024 - Round 15.png

These guys are making me work too hard! Nothing very unusual this week, holding to the usual patterns.

I'd expect some changes this week if Ashcroft comes back in to the seniors. Going off last season I'd be surprised if he gets any wing time though, having only two early season games where he spent a considerable amount of time on the wing.

View attachment 2030393
View attachment 2030394

If I had to predict Bruce out for Will, I’d say we’d see McCluggage go up to 25%, Berry to show up 4-5 times like Ah Chee right now, and Ashcroft/Ah Chee to split rest.

Few interesting things this week, beyond watching May argue with the umpires and arguing with his team mates after we kicked goals. Berry was moved out onto the wing halfway through the second quarter and Hugh was moved more inside as a reaction to the thumping we were getting in the middle. On his return Ashcroft had the least number of CBAs in his career as a percentage, possibly as we ease him back into footy.

I was also surprised that Fletcher was squeezed out as sub over Reville but can't argue with Reville's performance in the last quarter. I wonder whether we'll repeat that this week or change things up.

WA 2024 - Round 16.png
CBA 2024 - Round 16.png

Interesting times over the next few weeks.
Who will settle where.
Reville and Fletcher you would think don't get midfield time, so they are at risk of being sub.
Bailey & Ah-Chee come into getting the sub role if they decide to keep Reville & Fletcher.
Whichever way they go someone is unlucky

While its not locked in that we make finals yet, we do need to not burn our players out before we get there. Having 4 or 5 guys each take a turn as sub is a good way to give each of them a mini break. Similarly how do we try and give guys like Neale some reduced game time when we are well on top in games. Or look at resting anyone from a flight over to Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back