News Chad Wingard traded to Hawthorn for ... dammit who is peeling onions?

Will Chad stay or go?

• He will stay farken!

Votes: 43 21.4%
  • He will go farken!

Votes: 112 55.7%
  • He will stay, he will go, he will stay and go farken!

Votes: 46 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope we said to the hawks he's, your for Burton, and a, pick that will satisfy the Suns for their pick 3 along with our pick 10. Get that done and he is yours. If not, he stays.

Make them do the work to get it done. If they can't, well bad luck.

Wingard's loss can't be covered. But Polec's can. He had a bad end to 2018 but I think Bonner has the potential to cover Polec's loss. Bonner has a nice side-step, can weave through traffic, has a better left foot and can kick with his right. But he needs to work on his contested footy and hardness at the ball during the off-season. Has the potential to be a damaging player if he can get those things right.

Trade week threads move so quick my small brain can’t handle reading every page. Have to skip 5 pages, see if anything happens. Sees a melt about something, has to go back 3 pages to find the original post, was nothing interesting, skip 5 pages hoping we’ve made a massive move, no still nothing... oh wait someone mentioned something, go back 3 pages to find out what it was....

Surely I’m not the only one that does this.

If you're not scrolling straight past Janus' hysterical nonsense at this point then I don't know what to tell you.

I just hope we said to the hawks he's, your for Burton, and a, pick that will satisfy the Suns for their pick 3 along with our pick 10. Get that done and he is yours. If not, he stays.

Make them do the work to get it done. If they can't, well bad luck.

Carlton we’re trying to be the circuit breaker (acquiring Pick 2/3) and on-trade to us in a bigger deal that would send Wings to Hawthorn. But their proposal hinged on getting back pick 6, and the suns weren’t prepared to deal a second back to Carlton. It’s stalled.

It’s stalled at the moment, but discussion still ongoing.

Carlton we’re trying to be the circuit breaker (acquiring Pick 2/3) and on-trade to us in a bigger deal that would send Wings to Hawthorn. But their proposal hinged on getting back pick 6, and the suns weren’t prepared to deal a second back to Carlton. It’s stalled.

Thanks. I hope we hold our ground here.

What does Gold Coast get for trading pick 3? Pick 6 and what? What has Carlton got to give them?

You know the same person who said that Hinkley was going to Gold Coast said that Wingard was demanding $1m a season as a free agent don’t you?

If you’re going to believe one story, you have to believe the other.

As for him threatening to quit - I believe that was more over the pup he was sold by Cripps saying we had a premiership list.

We had a list that was only ever going to be good enough to make a prelim final, because there were too many selfish players on it. I don’t mean selfish in terms of not making any sacrifices, but selfish in that those sacrifices would always have a rider on them.

Jackson Trengove would sacrifice...as long as he was playing best 22 football.

Jarman Impey would sacrifice...As long as his mate was still at the club and he didn’t have to improve his skills.

Jasper Pittard would sacrifice...as long as his bad decisions would be glossed over.

Jared Polec would sacrifice...as long as he didn’t have to defend.

Chad Wingard would sacrifice...as long as it didn’t creep into his personal time.

And that bullshit attitude is starting to seep into a kid like Powell-Pepper.

Just like with O’Maera, Clarkson thinks he’s buying the player Wingard was, not the player he is. Freedom of expression is great, but in order to win a flag, everyone has got to be painting on the same canvas, not painting on the walls.

We will be a better team without these guys. Less talented? Sure. But winning on talent alone never got anyone a flag. Graham Cornes said that in terms of talent, there was no way Port Adelaide should have won the flag against Glenelg in 1990. But what that Port side had was a commitment and a ruthlessness to protect one another combined with enough talent to make good on the promises they made to one another.

That’s what we need to win a flag. Not the best players. The right ones.

Your posts are like reading examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Thanks mate. We better not be giving away wingard and pick 6 just to get pick 3. Pick 10 I can live. Pick 6 is robbery.

NO DEAL!!

Last edited:
Listening to Polec say he's been a massive Port supporter since he was a kid and didn't want to leave, Wingard also loves the club and doesn't want to leave...
2 of our best players gone.

WHAT THE **** ARE WE DOING!!!!!!!
Saving Ken. It’s all it’s about.

(Diehard) Port fans don’t treat supporting Port as something like the theatre or movies, with their stars to be admired from afar, with no interaction with them (we have clubrooms etc).

Some might consider it trite, but Port is family to many of us. Which makes what we have with the club a relationship with family. The worst betrayals are from family. That’s what this year has been to me, a series of betrayals from the club. A set of promises that they stand for certain things and will do certain things, only to act in other ways.

They are family, so eventually they’ll be forgiven (though not until crazy Uncle Ken is divorced), but betrayals by family can’t be forgotten. My relationship with the club is never likely to be the same as it was. They may eventually change back to the club it was, but now there’s always going to be the memory of being betrayed in a way I never thought Port could do to me. And there’ll always be the fear they could again at some point.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure why the Wingard defection is entirely the fault of the PAFC and I am unclear as to why some supporters want to unload on the Club for losing a player who wanted to go? What else could the Club have done to keep him?

Clubs loose good players all the time and if you look at our retention rate over the years it is pretty good. Maybe I am missing someone but Stevens, S Burgoyne, Polec and Wingard are about the only gun players we have lost over the years and we have traded in far more than we have lost. As Jason Cripps says this year is unusual for us because we have lost two good players in one year.

I am as critical of Ken Hinkley as anyone, a scan through the Hinkley thread will confirm that, but fair is fair. If Hinkley doesn't lay it on the line to the players after a totally unacceptable season he is as weak as piss in some eyes but when he does hand out a justified spray and a player reacts by walking he is at fault. Like it or not Hinkley is the Coach and as Coach he has the right to call it as he sees it. If a player doesn't like it and walks so be it and we will miss his talent but not his poor attitude.

If Polec and Wingard don't want to leave they can stay, as I see it no one told them they were not required. The problem for both players is if they stayed it would be on the PAFC's terms not theirs. I see nothing wrong with expecting players to accept the Club's right to dictate team rules, conditions and pay, just as I see nothing wrong with players deciding to go if they can't.
Spot on.

Thanks mate. We better not be giving away wingard and pick 6 just to get pick 3. Pick 10 I can live with and even then I'd want a late second to third round back. Pick 6 is robbery.

NO DEAL!!

Not even pick 10. We shouldn't be giving anything up.

Future second for a future third at most, even then id be digging my feet in. But after hearing Polec's interview i have no faith in this being done and if the Hawks saw Polecs interview (im sure they would know it all any way) they'll play hard, because having listened to that i'm thinking this isn't by Wingards choice. The weak pricks will take what they can get, whether its 15, or sending 6 or 10 back.

They'll take unders and try parade is as a win. Time for most the administration to go.

I am not sure why the Wingard defection is entirely the fault of the PAFC and I am unclear as to why some supporters want to unload on the Club for losing a player who wanted to go? What else could the Club have done to keep him?

Clubs loose good players all the time and if you look at our retention rate over the years it is pretty good. Maybe I am missing someone but Stevens, S Burgoyne, Polec and Wingard are about the only gun players we have lost over the years and we have traded in far more than we have lost. As Jason Cripps says this year is unusual for us because we have lost two good players in one year.

I am as critical of Ken Hinkley as anyone, a scan through the Hinkley thread will confirm that, but fair is fair. If Hinkley doesn't lay it on the line to the players after a totally unacceptable season he is as weak as piss in some eyes but when he does hand out a justified spray and a player reacts by walking he is at fault. Like it or not Hinkley is the Coach and as Coach he has the right to call it as he sees it. If a player doesn't like it and walks so be it and we will miss his talent but not his poor attitude.

If Polec and Wingard don't want to leave they can stay, as I see it no one told them they were not required. The problem for both players is if they stayed it would be on the PAFC's terms not theirs. I see nothing wrong with expecting players to accept the Club's right to dictate team rules, conditions and pay, just as I see nothing wrong with players deciding to go if they can't.

Some common sense in this - Too much shirting the bed in this thread.

This whole thing stinks. If Chad loves the club as much as he says, why did he request a trade. If he wants to stay, the club can’t force him to go.
He can still turn around and say “I’m not going anywhere” and use next year as a kick up the arse and play the season of his life. Prove he has the right attitude from now on.

This would be a reasonable opinion if the coach you champion on this board didn't have 3 bad years in a row then threaten to quit the club to go to the Suns if we didn't extend his contract because he doesn't like working under pressure.

Funny, I don't remember you calling Hinkley a petulant little shit at the time.

Lol the old Port Adelaide sacked club legend and football demigod Russell Ebert for not winning a final three years running. Just imagine their response to a defection threat!

Meanwhile current Port Adelaide, fresh from giving tenure to a guy whose career achievement is a solitary SF win in 6 years, sacks Chad Wingard and all of a sudden we’re Georgie boy with mango in hand.

E6D267A0-6788-4303-A819-8530B8A08583.gif

Not interested in what shit stirring North Melbourne players have to say. How long before this guy starts telling the world how Much Better North Melbourne is than Port? Polec claims to love Port, leaves, then shit stirs on social media. You have your money Jared so shut up and enjoy it.

We live in a world where few people take responsibility for themselves unfortunately. Always someone else to blame.

Lol the old Port Adelaide sacked club legend and football demigod Russell Ebert for not winning a final three years running. Just imagine their response to a defection threat!

Meanwhile current Port Adelaide, fresh from giving tenure to a guy whose career achievement is a solitary SF win in 6 years, sacks Chad Wingard and all of a sudden we’re Georgie boy with mango in hand.

View attachment 574301

It’s kinda hard to have any chance of success when the players aren’t committed to the cause, isn’t it?

Something is a bit odd about timings. We finished our season on Friday the 24th August - so out exit interviews would have been done and dusted early the next week.
The reported 'toxic' exit interview therefore would have been conducted early the following week.
This famous tweet was Thursday 30th Aug - suggesting Chad was still wanting to stay:

So it feels like further happening occurred post the exit interview.

C4 has alluded to Port making the right decision from a list management perspective, while the discussion on Port attempted interventions throughout the season are documented through this thread.

Cripps yesterday also alluded to Port suspecting Chad was going to heavily explore free agency, while there are reports towards the end of August to mid September suggesting a big Vic club was going hard at him refer to Chad thread on the main trading board).

There's something fishy here. I still can't get away from the fact that Chad is feeling a little down/confused following the exit interview, but still wanted to stay, but his manager has got involved and the Vic club has made a serious play. Port has got a whiff and called a bluff. The out of control train.

Tim Rehn this morning also suggested Chad and the club have boon in contact and he's happy to stay at Port if the deal doesn't go through, furthermore, Port have told Hawthorn there's no deal if Burton isn't involved.

I must say, after being quite upset hearing it last night, I'm somewhat putting down Polec comments to Polec being Polec - after all C4 has said quite clearly that he was shopping around and sitting on a massive deal for much of the year. He would have stayed on good money if he wanted to.

EDIT: Also, it shatters me that we are losing Chad - and I'm resigned to that fact now. He was my favorite player by a street. There was a distant connection with a family member having taught him and talking about what a great kid he was. I can't see how its come to this, I know no one party is as fault entirely, but it just feels like every party is now to stubborn to fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back