Fixture Changes Bulldogs v Bomberos

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buku has earned a shot at AFL level again, ideally I would like him in the JOD role, but has been playing fwd all year and had some decent games now so deserves some reward. He can play the 3rd tall fwd next to Naughton and Marra and give Tim a chop out in the ruck. He's a bit undersized but has been playing a bit of backup ruck in the VFL this year, so can hopefully hold his own for 5-7 minutes every quarter. The worry would be if English got injured then we have no full time ruck in the 23...

I think Buku has earned a shot at AFL level again, ideally I would like him in the JOD role, but has been playing fwd all year and had some decent games now so deserves some reward. He can play the 3rd tall fwd next to Naughton and Marra and give Tim a chop out in the ruck. He's a bit undersized but has been playing a bit of backup ruck in the VFL this year, so can hopefully hold his own for 5-7 minutes every quarter. The worry would be if English got injured then we have no full time ruck in the 23...
He’s more than a bit undersized and we’ve seen how poor it went last year against Geelong

Bukus only chance currently is Marra or Naughts get hurt

From VFL game:

- Shame Sullivan is not on list - was BOG again. 43 touches I believe - just grunt. Very Libba like. Of course - not an area of need but a significant improvement on McNeil ATM

Listed players

- Baker was very good - lots of run and got open through hard work. Probably the best of the listed players. Deserves a call up.

- Gallagher - best game so far - seemed a lot more involved than his possession stats suggested. Does a lot of one percenters a few more games like that and will force his way in. First two goals were gifts so not as good as you might think but he was still good and has pace and fight. Like him a lot .

- Bruce was very solid - best tall defender out there and was playing on Ladhams and beat him hands down. Will come in depending injuries - Buss is coming along but reckon Bruce is better in almost all aspects ATM.

- Busslinger had his best game and is showing some great traits - still struggles 1:1 and was mostly beaten by the Swans CHF (Buller - who looked very good). Does have good skills and will fight well for that third tall that JOD has been leading.

- Cleary was very good and shows some dash. His problem is he is a bit more Dale/Richards than Duryea or Third tall so mix is a bit of an issue.

- Lobb even looks slow at this level. Commonly beaten by a 19 year old. First goal not till last quarter and didn’t look like getting it.

- Sweet was solid I think broke even with Hickey - showing he can handle AFL. Also had McAndrew for bits. Did a bit more around the ground including some good contested marks - could have had a couple. If Darcy is out then would prefer he plays with Tim rotating in forward line.

- Jones definitely getting his mojo back. Missed a couple but getting involved and looking dangerous. Should have had four - deserved them by hard running and getting into open space. I reckon we are a better team with him in it and this was a good step towards getting back into the team

- Khamis - four goals is good but the problem is outside of the lead and kick he just doesn’t work hard enough and/or attack contests with power. He is likely to kick a couple at AFL level but also get run off and not hold his defensive position. Shame - this mid forward is there for him to take. Hannan has been given chances but hasn’t taken them, Raak is not ready and so the role couldn’t be more open. I am a fan but see why he hasn’t been called up.

- Raak is the opposite of Khamis - he is doing the work - attack the contest but isn’t putting goals on the Board. I am a big fan but think he is a third/fourth tall defender and in any event needs more muscle - has good height but gets pushed off to easily.

- McLean working his way back from latest injury. But for injuries he would be a regular in our starting 22 - unfortunately these injuries have really affected his confidence and speed. Has been good but can’t see him replacing anyone at the moment.

- Charlie Clarke - very quiet. Some good flashes though.

- McComb was solid without being great.

BTW - Swans commentators hilarious. Said Bulldogs just a little bit better?? Easy 10 goal win and but for missing sitters could easily have been much worse.

He has picked up a few niggles in the last three games.
Looks like he is scared of pulling a hammy so won’t bend down or sprint 100% which is a really tough way to play footy. I feel a sorry for him. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak.

Looks like he is scared of pulling a hammy so won’t bend down or sprint 100% which is a really tough way to play footy. I feel a sorry for him. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak.
Certainly hasn't been bursting out of packs like he was earlier In the season

I wonder what was up with Treolor. Obviously has heaps of runs in the bank but looked really disconnected V Swans.

He went down into the rooms for treatment against Sydney, so he played through something. Seemed off the pace for most of the game, not saying it’s linked at all but he took 3 or 4 kicks on his non-preferred, which basically never happens.

He went down into the rooms for treatment against Sydney, so he played through something. Seemed off the pace for most of the game, not saying it’s linked at all but he took 3 or 4 kicks on his non-preferred, which basically never happens.
Went down to the room against freo aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From VFL game:

- Shame Sullivan is not on list - was BOG again. 43 touches I believe - just grunt. Very Libba like. Of course - not an area of need but a significant improvement on McNeil ATM

Listed players

- Baker was very good - lots of run and got open through hard work. Probably the best of the listed players. Deserves a call up.

- Gallagher - best game so far - seemed a lot more involved than his possession stats suggested. Does a lot of one percenters a few more games like that and will force his way in. First two goals were gifts so not as good as you might think but he was still good and has pace and fight. Like him a lot .

- Bruce was very solid - best tall defender out there and was playing on Ladhams and beat him hands down. Will come in depending injuries - Buss is coming along but reckon Bruce is better in almost all aspects ATM.

- Busslinger had his best game and is showing some great traits - still struggles 1:1 and was mostly beaten by the Swans CHF (Buller - who looked very good). Does have good skills and will fight well for that third tall that JOD has been leading.

- Cleary was very good and shows some dash. His problem is he is a bit more Dale/Richards than Duryea or Third tall so mix is a bit of an issue.

- Lobb even looks slow at this level. Commonly beaten by a 19 year old. First goal not till last quarter and didn’t look like getting it.

- Sweet was solid I think broke even with Hickey - showing he can handle AFL. Also had McAndrew for bits. Did a bit more around the ground including some good contested marks - could have had a couple. If Darcy is out then would prefer he plays with Tim rotating in forward line.

- Jones definitely getting his mojo back. Missed a couple but getting involved and looking dangerous. Should have had four - deserved them by hard running and getting into open space. I reckon we are a better team with him in it and this was a good step towards getting back into the team

- Khamis - four goals is good but the problem is outside of the lead and kick he just doesn’t work hard enough and/or attack contests with power. He is likely to kick a couple at AFL level but also get run off and not hold his defensive position. Shame - this mid forward is there for him to take. Hannan has been given chances but hasn’t taken them, Raak is not ready and so the role couldn’t be more open. I am a fan but see why he hasn’t been called up.

- Raak is the opposite of Khamis - he is doing the work - attack the contest but isn’t putting goals on the Board. I am a big fan but think he is a third/fourth tall defender and in any event needs more muscle - has good height but gets pushed off to easily.

- McLean working his way back from latest injury. But for injuries he would be a regular in our starting 22 - unfortunately these injuries have really affected his confidence and speed. Has been good but can’t see him replacing anyone at the moment.

- Charlie Clarke - very quiet. Some good flashes though.

- McComb was solid without being great.

BTW - Swans commentators hilarious. Said Bulldogs just a little bit better?? Easy 10 goal win and but for missing sitters could easily have been much worse.
incredibly insightful and detailed summary, you obviously know your subject.

If Darcy is out and Lobb is not seen as being ready to come back, then Sweet would have to get a crack this week. Would to see him start in the square, set the tone and have English sitting in the pocket.

Thought Garcia showed a bit for his first game. Keep.

Treloar is a concern but no doubt we are better with him in the side. Wondering if he has some touble (groin?) on his right side as I reckon 90% of kicks were performed on his left (also explains the butchering)

Duryea seemed to disappear for a qtr and a half last week. Was he injured in some way? He is also not suited to Marvel's fast deck.

I like the idea of Cleary and Buss coming in together considering they have been playing together all year.

Out: Darcy, Treloar, McNeill, JOD, Duryea

In: Sweet, A.Jones, Cleary, Garcia (sub), Busslinger, B.Smith

If Darcy is out and Lobb is not seen as being ready to come back, then Sweet would have to get a crack this week. Would to see him start in the square, set the tone and have English sitting in the pocket.

Thought Garcia showed a bit for his first game. Keep.

Treloar is a concern but no doubt we are better with him in the side. Wondering if he has some touble (groin?) on his right side as I reckon 90% of kicks were performed on his left (also explains the butchering)

Duryea seemed to disappear for a qtr and a half last week. Was he injured in some way? He is also not suited to Marvel's fast deck.

I like the idea of Cleary and Buss coming in together considering they have been playing together all year.

Out: Darcy, Treloar, McNeill, JOD, Duryea

In: Sweet, A.Jones, Cleary, Garcia (sub), Busslinger, B.Smith
Why would you move the almost locked AA ruckman out of the ruck?

Gawn and Grundy are the perfect example it doesn't work and Grundy is 15 times the player Sweet is

Gawn and Grundy are the perfect example it doesn't work and Grundy is 15 times the player Sweet is

Because he is not a bash and crash ruckman and if we happen to make the finals he will inevitably be monstered by Lycett/Gawn/McInerny and he is a better tall forward option than Lobb.

Jury is out whether or not Grundy and Gawn doesn’t work

Very early to go with it doesn’t work

One thing that we do know is if Gawn or Grundy go down the replacement is good and Melbourne are 4th

Because he is not a bash and crash ruckman and if we happen to make the finals he will inevitably be monstered by Lycett/Gawn/McInerny and he is a better tall forward option than Lobb.
He's currently the best ruckman in the league who gives a rats ass if he isn't "bash and crash",

He is 5th in the league for total hitouts and 3rd in the league for Hitouts to advantage whilst being 2nd for disposals first for marks

Why would we downgrade for a "bash and crash" ruckman when he has no issues in the hitout department now

One thing that we do know is if Gawn or Grundy go down the replacement is good and Melbourne are 4th
Nah case is well and truly closed on this. They do not work and was a dumb trade from the very beginning.

The only thing they do is prevent the other one from playing to their full ability. Neither are any good as a forward. Yes if Gawn goes down they have an excellent back up option but Grundy is far too good to be a break-glass player.

I’ll be stunned if Sweet is selected. English is the AA ruckman right now, Draper is still injured so he’ll be up against some combination of Andrew Phillips and Nick Bryan. Remember what Timmy did to Phillips in 2020?

How's the jury out still?

He's been dropped and isn't likely back for the foreseeable future

How's the jury out still?

He's been dropped and isn't likely back for the foreseeable future
So dropping him for one game makes the experiment wrong

Tom Boyd was dropped but was he a success?

Lobb is a failure also he was dropped ?

I don’t go by one game he was dropped therefore failure let’s see what September hold for Melbourne who are 4th a game clear

Last edited:
Nah case is well and truly closed on this. They do not work and was a dumb trade from the very beginning.

The only thing they do is prevent the other one from playing to their full ability. Neither are any good as a forward. Yes if Gawn goes down they have an excellent back up option but Grundy is far too good to be a break-glass player.

I’ll be stunned if Sweet is selected. English is the AA ruckman right now, Draper is still injured so he’ll be up against some combination of Andrew Phillips and Nick Bryan. Remember what Timmy did to Phillips in 2020?
Your right Sweey won’t be played but I maintain the jury is out on Gawn Grundy especially after 18 rounds when Melbourne is 4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Changes Bulldogs v Bomberos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back