Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 20, Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a tunneling suspension but it was in a marking contest. There wasn’t a free yesterday because it wasn’t a marking contest.

There’s hope that he gets off purely because of that.
I was thinking that because it wasn’t a marking contest that may be why the whistle wasn’t blown which may also mean that there may not be a suspension due to the fact that it is within the rules of the game.
But either way it was a dangerous action and if it was reversed, I would have been fuming if it were Hippy who copped that and no free kick was rewarded.

I was thinking that because it wasn’t a marking contest that may be why the whistle wasn’t blown which may also mean that there may not be a suspension due to the fact that it is within the rules of the game.
But either way it was a dangerous action and if it was reversed, I would have been fuming if it were Hippy who copped that and no free kick was rewarded.

Like Berry getting tunnelled in the same game?

On this week's game, it will be tough as the Suns play so well at this ground.

But have a look to see who they have beaten at home this year:

Richmond
Adelaide
Hawthorn - During their bad start period
West Coast
North
Geelong - Probably their best win of the year
Essendon
Collingwood
Port

So the Suns haven't played the current top 5 teams on the ladder at home this year.

They have beaten teams 6th to 8th at home.

Not as great a record as I first thought!

The weekly lions suspension media circus.

It shouldn't be trial by media, let the tribunal do what they do then let the media comment.
I don't necessarily think it is trial by media. We all think it is, but listen to Michael Christian on Saturday crunchtime, he said there's about 180 incidents any week that are assessed, and this is reduced to the number he looks at. Christian very much takes the AFL line throughout the interview and all about protecting the player (which is fair). So while the media jump on incidents, the MRO is probably already looking at it.
(I was listening in the car so don't recall exactly where in the interview he mentioned this point... but it's a 30-minute interview, worth a listen regardless if you have time).

Like Berry getting tunnelled in the same game?
Berry's tunnel should have been a free, but not a reportable offence. it was in the marking contest. (Q1, 3:25 minutes to go).
Hippy's was a charge at a player at the top of his leap. If it had wrapped his arms around Blakey it would have been fine, but he went in with hip and shoulder and caught Blakey below the hips.

Based on the MRP grading table though, he's likely to get a fine, or 1-week at best. Careless, medium/high, contact the body (though they could argue intentional and high contact considering Blakey landed partially on his head).
1721612199195.png

Berry's tunnel should have been a free, but not a reportable offence. it was in the marking contest. (Q1, 3:25 minutes to go).
Hippy's was a charge at a player at the top of his leap. If it had wrapped his arms around Blakey it would have been fine, but he went in with hip and shoulder and caught Blakey below the hips.

Based on the MRP grading table though, he's likely to get a fine, or 1-week at best. Careless, medium/high, contact the body (though they could argue intentional and high contact considering Blakey landed partially on his head).
View attachment 2055368

Yeah happy for a fine to say you shouldn't risk a more severe consequence in that situation but can cop us being on the receiving end to the AFL randomly choosing what is and what isn't worth a fine

Amartey going after Andrews ribs was more dangerous than this but won't even get a mention

Yeah happy for a fine to say you shouldn't risk a more severe consequence in that situation but can cop us being on the receiving end to the AFL randomly choosing what is and what isn't worth a fine

Amartey going after Andrews ribs was more dangerous than this but won't even get a mention
Disagree on Amartey (unless there's more than 1 incident). Q3 2:15 to go, Harris dives across Amartey's path arms outstretched and exposes his rips. The head contact was Amartey diving back over Harris to get the loose ball and his weight falls on Harris head.

View attachment 2055368
You just know that Christian will find a way to give him a week. He’s a prick and always happy to throw the book at interstate players yet justify anything VIC plays do. Keays did exceptionally well to not be sighted, not that I thought he should’ve been.

You just know that Christian will find a way to give him a week. He’s a prick and always happy to throw the book at interstate players yet justify anything VIC plays do. Keays did exceptionally well to not be sighted, not that I thought he should’ve been.

The Keays one is interesting. Basically gives the all clear to knock out a player as long as they have an arm free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen this so many times now, that I'm wondering if it's come into common usage

I've always thought the word was "cited"? .

View attachment 2055368
The issue really is how discretionary it is and given Christian always targeting interstate clubs players it doesn’t bode well…however the Swans player would also have to cop something for the tunnel on Berry.

IMO it can’t be intentional and then the discretion lay in if it is to the head or body. Given Eric only bumped the body, it should be that and only a fine but knowing Christian he’ll say Blakey landed on his head so it gets the weak suspension. It’d be corrupt if it’s graded intentional which is what Rankines was; I doubt Eric was trying to tunnel but was careless in trying to body his opponent in the marking contest which went wrong.

I've seen this so many times now, that I'm wondering if it's come into common usage

100% cited, not sighted or sited.

Yep.

Someone posted about someone being “bias” against something and I nearly posted about it but thought it might look too pedantic, but now I see I’m in good company. :D

I’m still getting used to the modern usage of “versed”.

(It’s “biased” BTW)

ALL - Just a quick HEADS UP for anyone travelling down to PFS for the game this week like we are. I just noticed that Queensland Rail have track closures on the Gold Coast line on Saturday (game day) all day with replacement buses to Beenleigh (link below). M1 likely to be a nightmare as a consequence so suggest people go early grab some lunch down the coast or come into Gold Coast via Tamborine/Canungra roads like we are going to and park in Nerang/Merrimac area.

Please don't deter anyone from going with this HEADS UP (we want to pack out PFS on Saturday), we all just need to be prepared as a Lions fan group.

Nothing yet but there is this:

I did think he got back on the ground a bit quicker than 20m!

He was ready at the gates before 2 mins but you could see him signaling to team mates when 20 mins would be up. At one point someone was going to change for him and he held 2 fingers up saying he had to wait another 2 mins

View attachment 2055368
Honestly i could argue multiple categories in all elements!

CONDUCT He intentionally was going to bump Blakey. But it only became a tunnel because Blakey suddenly jumped in the air after the unexpected bounce. So Intentional or Reckless? dunno

IMPACT I would rule out severe given no injury, but rule out low given Blakey played on. So high or medium? dunno

CONTACT - clearly hit him on the body BUT it mean blakey landed on his neck / head. So which one is it? Dunno

Only a perfect run gets him to Fine - Careless / medium / body.

There are 7 other outcomes which get him between 1-3 games.

So yeah based on that seems like he is going to cop 1 or 2.

I PANICKED LAST WEEK WITH OUR POTENTIAL OUTS so let's just see. But if Hipwood and Harris are out on top of Payne, we should be 5/1 vs gold coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back