Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Now it gets interesting. We've been saying how difficult selection might be in the second half of the year and it starts with the Carlton game.

NLM, Slatts, Houli are all available from injury and suspension.

Davey has been our worst performed player consistently for a while but he is almost undroppable due to what he offers the team.

Lonergan, Skipworth Dyson, Hocking are probably the ones in the gun.

Outs: Skipworth, Lonergan
Ins: Houli, Jetta

Changes are due to the pace of Carlton and the fact we are playing at the G. Houli is an option on Betts and Jetta plays better on the bigger grounds and give us a bit of zip up forward.

I'd like to put Slatts in but I'm not sure where his hammy is at - maybe another week.

"Davey has been our worst performed player consistently for a while but he is almost undroppable due to what he offers the team."
He isn't really inconsistent is he?

IN: Jetta
OUT: Skipworth

Now it gets interesting. We've been saying how difficult selection might be in the second half of the year and it starts with the Carlton game.

Dyson- not in the gun in my book. He's becoming quite an engaging player with a subtle stamp of authoriity as he directs teammates to where he is going to kick it. Full credit to Knighter for the extra contract.

Dyson- not in the gun in my book. He's becoming quite an engaging player with a subtle stamp of authoriity as he directs teammates to where he is going to kick it. Full credit to Knighter for the extra contract.

Yeah, pretty much agree at the moment. When I look at names to drop Dyson has been pretty much first in line all the time but I must say that we needs his run and kicking at the G.

He's still part of our bottom 6 and if we are to become a really good side then it's players like him that might become good depth out of the 22.

He's made a fair bit of improvement this year and it would be quite interesting to see how much more he has. Last 5 games he's been averaging 22 touches and his kicking has been really good. Needs to go one more cog up to stamp himself as a genuine footballer.

Why would you drop lonergan and davey?? I thought both were one of the better players last night.

Let's not make changes for the sake of them.

NLM, Slatts, Houli are all available from injury and suspension.

Davey has been our worst performed player consistently for a while but he is almost undroppable due to what he offers the team.

Outs: Skipworth, Lonergan
Ins: Houli, Jetta

Changes are due to the pace of Carlton and the fact we are playing at the G. Houli is an option on Betts and Jetta plays better on the bigger grounds and give us a bit of zip up forward.

I'd like to put Slatts in but I'm not sure where his hammy is at - maybe another week.

Did you watch last nights game? Lonergan was very impressive especially in the first half, and I thought Skippy is on the improve after his injury. I wouldn't exactly put them first in line and definitely not for Jetta.

Here Here, Dyson's disposal has improved out of sight. In games gone by I'd cringe when he'd get the ball but these days I'm excited because I know he'll use it pretty well. Also, his attack on the footy has really stepped up. I think he's realised that he can mix it with the best and his confident in his ability.

I don't think we'll be making many changes to be honest. Skipworth is a tough one but having him to rotate with Monfries as that lead up small forward brings out a better game in Monfries in my opinion.

I haven't seen McVeigh's report; will he be suspended?

Prissa's ribs might be an issue as well.

Other than that, I can't really see who will come out. Skipworth and Lonergan were both excellent last night, as was Monfries. I honestly can't think of anyone who had a poor game, yet we have to try and squeeze Slattery, Lovett-Murray, Houli, Neagle and Jetta into contention. I don't envy the match committee's job this week, yet I love the fact that it's so difficult for them.

I think Neagle should get a game, because we need to exploit Bower's complete lack of defensive ability and Thornton's complete lack of football ability. If Neagle comes in, Jetta has to as well, meaning one of Skipworth, Monfries or Lonergan will be unlucky after a very good game.

If Slats and Houli come in, who comes out of that backline?

Lonergan did have his best game for a while last night but he got a lot of junk time possessions which made his performance look a bit better.

McVeigh is ready to step up into the middle and with the performances of Prismall, Hocking, Watson, Welsh there doesn't leave much room for others.

Houli in to take the small forward and release Hocking for more midfield rotations and another possible tagging crack at Judd.

Like I said it's getting pretty tricky to select a side and I'll probably change my mind a few times this week. ;)

B: Fletcher - Pears - Hocking
HB: Dempsey - Hooker - Dyson
C: Winderlich - Stanton - Lovett
HF: McPhee - Lucas - Monfries
F: Davey - Lloyd - Skipworth
R: Ryder - Welsh - Watson
I: McVeigh - Lonergan - Reimers - Prismall

How can you drop many from that?

If we bold the absolutely, positively undroppable:

B: Fletcher - Pears - Hocking
HB: Dempsey - Hooker - Dyson
C: Winderlich - Stanton - Lovett
HF: McPhee - Lucas - Monfries
F: Davey - Lloyd - Skipworth
R: Ryder - Welsh - Watson
I: McVeigh - Lonergan - Reimers - Prismall

That leaves four players (unfair on a couple that they aren't bolded as well) who could possibly come out. Reimers is getting better every week and always lifts against Carlton. Spike/Prissa (can't remember which one) said last night on AW that this was Hocking's best game. Skipworth played his best game since returning, and Lonergan played his best game for the year.

This is hard.

Knights and O'Donnell talked about Zaharakis being back for Carlton during the week also so there's another to the list.

If any changes are made to the side it will reflect who the selectors feel play the MCG better.

If Lovett-Murray, Slattery or Houli come in, then Hocking or Hooker will have to make way. Not sure if this will happen though.

Hopefully Prismall and Mcveigh will both be available as they will be important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very hard this week.. Dont see any one worthy of ommision. Perhaps Mcveigh's love tap on Rivers will see him out ? Prizza's rips ?

Out of the possible in's I would think NLM is the only one seriously considered.
He adds unrivaled aggression to a fairly young team.

Neagle - wont be back for a while as he was just ommited and Bendigo play after the Bombers do. Needs to display consitant form & get at least 10 touches or 3+ goals at Bendigo before he can push for selection again.

Jetta - needs to star & force his way into the team
Slatts - Where is he at with his injury ? Given the odd combo of byes between Bombers & Bendigo - I find it too hard to read his post injury form. But he must be on the edge of selection.
Houli - He is another on the edge of selection. But his HB skills need to sharpen up a little to come into serious contention. Would like to see him dominate at Bendigo to get another senior gig...

If Mcveigh is suspended I think NLM is the one to take his role down back, allowing Hocking to play a stoping mid role in the guts. This will help out Watson with the dirty balls..

Dont worry though guys, these players will get a gig sooner or later - form drop offs & injuries will force this.

Shocked to see Lonergan, Hocking or Skippy's name up here in possible outs. All were good to very good.

I need to see what happens with injuries, suspension and form at Bendigo before I would put a team down. However, I do have some observations based on the last few weeks.

Hocking may be the tagger down back and my answer to Slattery. Hocking was killed against Geelong (didn't seem to play back against Adelaide) and was very good down back last night so the jury is still out. There are more options for positions on the ground for Heath, and he gets more of the ball, so watch this space.

The combination of Hocking and Houli would be my preferred small (shut down) defensive options. I don't see who Houli would come in for though.

I have been been a Skipworth fan since round 1. He has played well and was OK last night but there was a key problem. At his pace and playing the role that he is he cannot afford to turn the ball over. Particularly early last night, Skipworth's ball use was average. I don't think he will be in trouble though.

At this stage Lovett-Murray is the only player I would bring in. I love his aggression and versatility. I just can't work out who would make way. It seems incredibly harsh to drop Skipworth on the back of a few turn overs but he is the only player I would drop for NLM.

Hocking may be the tagger down back and my answer to Slattery. Hocking was killed against Geelong (didn't seem to play back against Adelaide) and was very good down back last night so the jury is still out. There are more options for positions on the ground for Heath, and he gets more of the ball, so watch this space.

With Hocking playing the small man in defence, it really shows our weakness. I never thought I'd say this, I can't wait for Slattery to come back into the side. Hocking plays from behind constantly in the backline, he refuses to get in front of the contest when there's the opportunity. You can't have your defenders constantly playing from behind.

I thought from a defensive point of view Hocking was terrible, Bate killed him in 90% of contests.

Without making excuses Hocking should not have played on Bate and I would be surprised if Slattery would play on Bate. Hocking took a few nice marks and wasn't as lost as he was against Geelong and as I said the jury is still out.

Bate is 6'3, decent above head and moves well. We probably didn't pay him enough respect last night by plaing undersized players on him.

Knights and O'Donnell talked about Zaharakis being back for Carlton during the week also so there's another to the list. If any changes are made to the side it will reflect who the selectors feel play the MCG better.

How well does Zaharakis play at the G V's other venues?

At the G he averages 11 touches per game / 1.33 goals per game / 2.33 tackles per game.

At the Dome he averages 15.6 touches per game / 0.33 goals per game / 2.66 tackles per game

Only game away from Melb V Bris at Gabba where his vital stats were:
10 touches, 1 goal, 2 tackles

Games at G : 3 Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond
Games at Dome: 6, Freo, North, Hawks, St Kilda, Cats, Crows
Game at Gabba: 1 Brisbane

I highlighted the goal scoring, and would like to add that he has had more scroing shots at the G - 6/3 games Vs 8/6 at the Dome.

Scroring shots at the Dome: 1.33 per game - he's been inaccurate only scoring 2 Goals/6pts.

At the G he has 2 scoring shots per game ( he's kicked 4 goals 2 bh's )

Statistically, he gets more of the ball & tackles more at the Dome - but he has more shots on goal at the G & more goals...

I personally dont think he's played enough games to conclue this data is statistically significant to draw any solid conclusion.

Perhaps his role in the games played at the G is different in that he tends to play closer to the goals which results in more scoring shots/ goals than elsewhere ?

Does he play better at the G ?

No. Doubtless his goal against the Pies in the dying seconds was massive. Other than having more scoring shoots leading to more goals he actually has had less of the ball at the G.

We cant conclude he is a G player yet. With his form drop off and the good game played by the team last night - he wont play..

With Hocking playing the small man in defence, it really shows our weakness. I never thought I'd say this, I can't wait for Slattery to come back into the side. Hocking plays from behind constantly in the backline, he refuses to get in front of the contest when there's the opportunity. You can't have your defenders constantly playing from behind.

I thought from a defensive point of view Hocking was terrible, Bate killed him in 90% of contests.

I thought the opposite. Didn't Hocking have like 16 touches to Bate's 13? Bate kicked his 2nd goal in the last qtr once the game was over. Buddha's insane courage in the big collision with Green was a highlight. Plus Hocking played on a bigger player with good endurance whom Slatts probably wouldn't play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back