Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we drop Skippy & Hooker, Donners ?

When did Hurley's last play a game ?

Surely his lack of match fitness excludes him from getting a game.

I think Hooker needs to work on his decision making. I like his run and his game but I think he needs to work on taking the right option. Eg. First quarter, running beautifully for Ryder to switch the play only to kick it to the half forward flank with Lloyd against 2.

I see your argument with Hurley's inclusion but I feel we need better skills by foot into the team and his ability to stop the opposition's big forward will be beneficial against Fevola. Daniher had 4 goals 7 behinds kicked against him in round 3, I don't think Pears has the stopping ability of Hurley and I don't believe Hooker has the body big enough in the one on one contests for Fev - and we all know Fletcher doesn't generally play on the opposition's no. 1 forward.

I feel Skipworth can virtually only play 1 position, NLM's versatility, height and pace sets him above Skipworth. NLM can even create an impact in the middle, I also like the energy he brings to the side... not to mention he was in decent form before his suspension. If NLM plays forward I feel we can really expose Carlton's lack of height in defence without losing our leg speed (which has been the case with Neagle, Lloyd and Lucas). Jamo will take Lloyd, Bower will take Lucas and Thornton will have to be accountable for NLM instead of playing deep and loose where he sets up the play. McPhee to play off Fisher in defence.

Depends on the outcome of McVeigh's report. If he is cleared, then looking at from this week's form and team balance...

Out: Hocking
In: Houli

I thought Lonergan was outstanding today. You couldn't drop Skipworth after this game. Hocking playing as a back pocket is not his position. Really couldn't keep up with Bate, who isn't quick. He need to be played in the middle. We need Houli to come in and play on Betts. Dempsey can cover Garlett.

With the inclusion of McVeigh, Welsh and Prismall, along with Watson and Lonergan playing really good games, there is no room for Hocking in my opinion. With Skipworth ability to go in to the middle as well, I think Hocking needs to be dropped for team balance.

Reimers is hitting his straps, couple brilliant wriggle to get through tackles and his kicking is getting back where it was. I am starting to notice how Ryder is slowly losing his spring. We'll have to lower his work load somehow.

Hooker is our 2nd ruck for at least the next month. Deal with it.

What Andre said.

Hooker absolutely shouldn't be dropped. Anyone who thinks this has got rocks in their head. We simply can't ask Ryder to ruck all game every game. Hooker has good mobility and could be handy in the ruck roaming the MCG.

Same team unless McVeigh is suspended, then bring in Houli for Betts and put Hocking into the midfield rotations.

Being near a full squad, we need to make sure we get games into Hurley, NLM and Slattery before bringing them back in. None of them have proven enough to come straight back into the side at the expense of someone in the team right now.

For the first time in a long time, I would like to see "No Changes". I want to see some more of Neagle, Hurley, Houli and Jetta before the years out, but they will get their chance if they keep performing at VFL level.

OUT:

Skipworth (don't think his up to it when the heat is on)

Hocking - Has been solid but his limited down back and ther are better options in the middle

IN:

Hurley (to play on Fev if right, otherwise NLM comes in and Pears takes him)

Jetta (I think we need his pace for this game, plus he won't get pushed off the ball so easily against a smaller bodied Carlton

NLM to come in if McVeigh gets rubbed out. If Hurley's not right then bring either Tyson Slattery or Atkinson, I'm hanging to see them play on the big stage..

B - Pears - Hurley - Reimers
HB - Dempsey - Hooker - Fletcher
C - Lovett - Welsh - Winderlich
HF - McVeigh - McPhee - Monfries
F - Lucas - Lloyd - Davey
R - Ryder - Watson - Stanton
INT - Prismall - Lonergan - Dyson - Jetta

Very disappointed that Mark McVeigh was sucked into a heated exchange when we had the game well and truly sewn up. What the hell was he thinking?
Just take the knock, suck it in, sing the song after the game and line up for an even better game next week!! How difficult is that to remember? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Houli, Slattery, NLM
OUT: Spike(susp), McPhee?, Winders?

Spike a definite out, he's gone, McpHee and Winder looked a little proppy from where I was

Davey was our worst last night, was he? You're having a laugh.

14 disposals at 71%, 2 goals against chicken fodder. In our bottom few pretty consistently lately. He double grabs almost every ball now.

You need to look past the one great tackle on Watts and the cult figure status he has within the club.

Davey needs to lift his game.

14 disposals at 71%, 2 goals against chicken fodder. In our bottom few pretty consistently lately. He double grabs almost every ball now.

You need to look past the one great tackle on Watts and the cult figure status he has within the club.

Yep, I've noticed he's been fumbling the ball a lot. I give him leniency for the sake he's coming back from a knee reco.

Having said that, and you mentioned it previously, he's undroppable. He is possibly the most important player in our forward structure.

Skipworth is in the team for a reason. He is fast becoming one of my favourite players, he adds so much personality, maturity and leadership to the side, if only Spike could do the same. I reckon McVeigh will get a week, just my feeling. If so, then I imagine Houli would come in to do a job in the backline (I'm guessing on Betts). You couldn't possibly drop anyone else except for maybe Hocking, but that is very doubtful. Give Hurley, Slatts and Zaharakis another week in the VFL and no doubt their opportunities will come through injuries in coming weeks.

His kicking and touch isn't as good as it was before his injury, granted. However if you want to highlight stats:
14 possessions as a small forward, 8 of which were contested. 71% efficiency isn't terrible. 4 clearances, 4 tackles, 2 goals and 1 assist.
Considering he'd be the smallest man on the ground, playing as a small forward, those stats aren't too bad.
On top of this, the amount of forward pressure he placed on Melbourne defenders has been understated. I made my post-game votes before looking at the stats, and Davey really stood out to me with his continual chasing and harassing. He did things that won't be on any statistic sheets; he may have had four tackles, but he would've chased and caused pressure about 10-20 times.
He's not even a favourite of mine, and has been below-par this season coming off a knee reconstruction, but you're way off in saying he was our worst last night.

No way would I drop Davey, we need more pace not less. He started to show some of his old spark by the end of the game too.

What has happened to our "run and gun" pace out of the backline? Its been great to get McVeigh and Welsh back, but suddenly we have too many solid in and under types and I think Hocking and Skipworth may have to make way for NLM and Houli, and perhaps someone for Jetta as well. Especially on the MCG our ability to keep running at the end of the game won us those matches against Carl and Coll. It has been lacking the last 2 weeks.

Hooker is our 2nd ruck for at least the next month. Deal with it.

Agree. He's almost undroppable until Bellchambers is fit and I think he'll hold his spot over him because he's simply a better player at this time.

If McVeigh goes then bring in one of Jetta, Houli, Zaha, Slattery or NLM. I'd lean towards NLM because I love his x-factor, especially when he plays up forward.

The only bloke I'd consider dropping is Skipworth as I think games like last night are almost as good as it gets from him, but he's quite handy and clever so I don't think swapping him for one of the possible inclusions above would change a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back