Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess no one saw Houlihans performance against EP then?.......surely Wilson must get a run?......best game for him against Freo......playing at Subi oval, the kid kicked a few in last years GF at Subi.....

Be interested to see what Harves and Woosha pull out at the selection table......be funny if Wilson was at FF for WCE and Murphy FF for Freo......well not if you were a SF fan!!

Outs- Strijk (inj), A.Selwood (Inj), Shep (inj?), Nat (inj?) Hams(sus)

Ins- Houlihan, JON, McKinley, Swift, McGinnity,

B: Schofield, Mackenzie, McGinnity
HB: Waters, Brown, Hurn
C: Rosa, Priddis, Houlihan
HF: JON, Kennedy, Embley
F: Sullivan, Lynch, LeCras
Foll: Cox, S Selwood, Ebert
I/C: Swift, Smith, Stevenson, Mckinley
Emg: Wilson

Time to try a few fast new boys, and see whats available for next year
:eek:

Out: A.Selwood, Masten, Cox
In: Swift, JON, McGinnity

B: Schofield, Mackenzie, Waters
HB: Smith, Brown, Hurn
C: Strijk, Priddis, Rosa
HF: Embley, Kennedy, Ebert
F: Hams, Lynch, LeCras
Foll: Naitanui, S Selwood, Swift

I/C: McGinnity, JON, Sheppard, Stevenson
Emg: Wilson

Hard to say what will happen with Hams and the MRP. I don't think he made any contact to the head at all so who knows. He'd be a player we could use next week.

As mentioned earlier, Freo will be down on confidence after their thumping today but will be looking to rebound hard against us. We've sure got them at a good time but if we keep running out of legs it means nothing. Long overdue for a derby win that's for sure, and denting Freo's top 4 chances would make it sweeter!

Armfield has been cleared of any serious injury , so hopefully Hams gets a reprieve .

Hams is a tough little bloke nearly lost his head 3 or 4 times in tackles and put on a ripper shitfront on Armfield . ;)

IN JON Wilson

OUT Selwood Lynch

That's cr@P - watching him last night - he chased well.
Bull.

He rarely chases and when anyone tries to step around him he sticks out a glove and hope it holds.

Kennedy has been consistently better by 1000x at chasing, tackling, marking and goaling...

The only thing Lynch has on him is bombed balls to inside 50....

I think Swifty has been worried by his upcoming exams and that's why he hasn't been selected recently.

Hopefully he comes back in this week.

I'm hoping Hams and Strijk are able to play this week, they've really come along in leaps and bounds in recent weeks.

Masten has been absolute gash for the most part since coming back but with the likely absence of Selwood this week, maybe he can find form in the derby again this time without doing a PCL.

OUT: Lynch, A.Selwood (If Hams/Strijk miss McKinley in)
IN: Swift, McGinnity (to play on Ballantyne, I don't think Shep or Smith will be good enough defensively on him)

Bull.

He rarely chases and when anyone tries to step around him he sticks out a glove and hope it holds.

Kennedy has been consistently better by 1000x at chasing, tackling, marking and goaling...

The only thing Lynch has on him is bombed balls to inside 50....

Were you at the game or watching on TV - because he chased and chased well last night - didn't do too much catching, but not through lack of effort.

Kennedy is a better player - has had a much better season - but he hasn't been better the past month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

out: a.selwood
in: swift

schofield mackenzie smith
waters brown hurn
stevenson priddis sheppard
strijk kennedy ebert
lecras lynch hams

ruck: cox swift masten
int: natanui s.selwood embley rosa

out: a.selwood
in: swift

schofield mackenzie smith
waters brown hurn
stevenson priddis sheppard
strijk kennedy ebert
lecras lynch hams

ruck: cox swift masten
int: natanui s.selwood embley rosa

thats probably it id say.
Like to see Houlihan in. Picked a bad week to have a quiet one but still looked classy.
Is Hams going to get weeks?

thats probably it id say.
Like to see Houlihan in. Picked a bad week to have a quiet one but still looked classy.
Is Hams going to get weeks?

How did Houlihan look classy ? Im fairly sure East Freo had the bye.

Ive also been laughing off the Houlihan suggestions. Work rate has been poor, kicking hasn't improved at all. Wont play in 2010.

Was at the Claremont v Swans match and can advise that Swifts disposal which was never particularly good has actually gone backwards. Previously I thought McGinnity's disposal was the worst in the WC squad but now I am not so sure.
Quite seriously guys, those of you that think Swift should be selected this week are simply living in cuckoo land - there is NO way his efforts on Sat are worthy of a promotion and I would suggest he's actually further away from a game than he was prior to this weekend.
Was talking to Simon McPhee after the game and he is astounded as to how a young man who was reasonably efficient and proficient has entered the AFL system and is now a worse player than when he started. He hinted that Swifts disposal and decision processes are so poor, that if he wasnt on an AFL list he would be more than likely playing WAFL ressies this week.

Was talking to Simon McPhee after the game and he is astounded as to how a young man who was reasonably efficient and proficient has entered the AFL system and is now a worse player than when he started. He hinted that Swifts disposal and decision processes are so poor, that if he wasnt on an AFL list he would be more than likely playing WAFL ressies this week.

If that's the case, McPhee should drop him to the ressies, regardless. It might send a message.

Surely A Sellwood has an AC , Hams is suspende and Strijk is injured (stretch case)
ins are difficult reading the above.

JON and the two mc's look most deserving on WAFL form.

Like we wont win regardless.

If that's the case, McPhee should drop him to the ressies, regardless. It might send a message.

If he deserves to be dropped to the ressies - so be it.

However i'm a little unsure how a guy who hadn't played footy for 2 years is supposed to have been proficient prior to entering the AFL system.

Message to who ? Swift doesnt train with Claremont so McPhee has no input into his training. I took McPhee's comments as a criticisim of WC rather than a shot at Swift.

WC supporters for some time have bemoaned the skill levels at WC and I see Swift as being another in a long line of players who have gone backwards since they entered the AFL system at Subi oval.

In fact can you or anybody tell me a player who has been drafted by WC in the last 5-6 years who has actually improved their kicking skills ? Naitanui is one, but in reality he was coming from a pretty poor base and I guess you could name Rosa. AFAIC Brown's gone backwards as has Masten and Mckinley. As a colts player Mackenzie was a far better kick of the ball and made far better decisions than he does now. There are numerous others like Ebert who simply havent improved.

I am now of the belief that WC have drafted correctly, but there is a problem in their system that simply doesnt bring out the player's ability.

Strijk sounds like he'll be fine for Sunday - an 8 day break is probably helpful in that regards.

Hams will miss, as will Selwood.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bones come back in if it's going to release Stevenson or Sheppard further up the ground.

You'd think the last spot will go to either JON, Neates or McGinnity.

Message to who ? Swift doesnt train with Claremont so McPhee has no input into his training. I took McPhee's comments as a criticisim of WC rather than a shot at Swift.

WC supporters for some time have bemoaned the skill levels at WC and I see Swift as being another in a long line of players who have gone backwards since they entered the AFL system at Subi oval.

In fact can you or anybody tell me a player who has been drafted by WC in the last 5-6 years who has actually improved their kicking skills ? Naitanui is one, but in reality he was coming from a pretty poor base and I guess you could name Rosa. AFAIC Brown's gone backwards as has Masten and Mckinley. As a colts player Mackenzie was a far better kick of the ball and made far better decisions than he does now. There are numerous others like Ebert who simply havent improved.

I am now of the belief that WC have drafted correctly, but there is a problem in their system that simply doesnt bring out the player's ability.

Agree with the general post Bond, but partly agree with the final paragraph. Some players, for whatever reason, just develop at different rates.

Look at the real project players, Swift, Notte and JON. JON seems to have come along in leaps and bounds late this season, whilst Notte and Swift, both of whom I have no doubt have the talent, both seem to have gone backwards. But, I know they have been getting Notte to focus on his defensive side of the game and I presume Swift is being asked to focus on some aspect as well. This can mean they focus on this one facet to the detriment of the attacking or other facets of their game.

Just a theory I have, but when it all clicks then you have the player in front of you that you think you could see when first drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back