Preview Changes for Round 6 v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Schache or Cordy to pinch hit in the ruck? Pffft, you're all delusional.

McComb is 181cm - Bevo's perfect archetypal ruck backup. I expect it to be Martin 70/McComb 30. (Either that or they'll play him as a crumbing forward because he's never played that role before.)

Game is also setup now for Bevo to go full troll and at stages have all of Naughton, Cordy, Schache and JUH in the forward line, but countering this with at least one instance during the game where all 4 will also be on the bench together.

1616028017069_GSG36MTUV.1-1.JPG

1a366.0x0_LukeBeveridge1.jpg
View attachment 1380430View attachment 1380431
ead3927e494712f72944e71c4d72dc69

View attachment 1380432
f9192a33710aa8a2090213a430a3e4c37b401826-4x3-x256y0w1536h1152.jpg
5892020-3x2-940x627.jpg
Luke-Beveridge-Che-Guevara.jpg
McComb to dominate the ruck and kick 3 goals.

Only a grade 1 strain for Tim. It could be a lot worse, it means he'll be running next week and can begin ramping his loads up. A normal hamstring strain is a grade 2 and is usually about a month.

He keeps getting chances though? He’s not frozen out at all. If anything he’s been gifted opportunities when he shouldn’t have.
Really, Schache gifted opportunities? Compared to:

Cordy who for a key position defender has been average at best for 3 years yet play most weeks bar the first 6 games last year (which we won all)
Gardiner who has improved but was quite possible the worst key position player in the AFL for his first 10 games yet stayed in the team.
Hannan has played about 5 good games out of 20.

Compared to Schache who as a lead up forward kicked 17 goals from 13 games in 2018, 24 goals from 14 games in 2019 then 2 games in 2020 and 9 in 2021. One of those years he worked great with Naughton and we came from back to make finals.

I agree he is on who last chance this year to prove his worth, yet he definitely hasn't been given of the opportunities of others.

Last year I adopted McNeil as the pup to be “ my boy” and was well pleased with how he went. I still have high hopes for him but have been disappointed with his output this season. Bottom line I am glad he has not been dropped this week and is getting a run of games to show something. I think we should do that with all the pups who get selected. But he better show something quick. Hopefully it’s this week.

Really, Schache gifted opportunities? Compared to:

Cordy who for a key position defender has been average at best for 3 years yet play most weeks bar the first 6 games last year (which we won all)
Gardiner who has improved but was quite possible the worst key position player in the AFL for his first 10 games yet stayed in the team.
Hannan has played about 5 good games out of 20.

Compared to Schache who as a lead up forward kicked 17 goals from 13 games in 2018, 24 goals from 14 games in 2019 then 2 games in 2020 and 9 in 2021. One of those years he worked great with Naughton and we came from back to make finals.

I agree he is on who last chance this year to prove his worth, yet he definitely hasn't been given of the opportunities of others.
Those others took their chances in my opinion. I really thought Schache had late last year as well but he returned as poor as ever this year. The one thing you can’t criticize those others for is the non negotiables of effort and physicality. You can’t carry a Schache when he looks like he genuinely doesn’t want to be out there.

Last year I adopted McNeil as the pup to be “ my boy” and was well pleased with how he went. I still have high hopes for him but have been disappointed with his output this season. Bottom line I am glad he has not been dropped this week and is getting a run of games to show something. I think we should do that with all the pups who get selected. But he better show something quick. Hopefully it’s this week.
He didn't 'steal' (intercept) and opposition pass and kick a goal last week, but he did intercept a handball on the boundary and kick it inside the F50 for an assist so that's a pass.

He just does it every week. I'll keep calling him McSteal, good luck to the kid. He's only 20 years old too so plenty of development left.

Those others took their chances in my opinion. I really thought Schache had late last year as well but he returned as poor as ever this year. The one thing you can’t criticize those others for is the non negotiables of effort and physicality. You can’t carry a Schache when he looks like he genuinely doesn’t want to be out there.
Yes I tend to agree he is the less physical (on par with Hannan) and we would all love him to lift a little in this area. His first game was bad, he made some mistakes, yet Cordy was worse that night yet stayed in. I just hope he can play well from here on in.

Yes I tend to agree he is the less physical (on par with Hannan) and we would all love him to lift a little in this area. His first game was bad, he made some mistakes, yet Cordy was worse that night yet stayed in. I just hope he can play well from here on in.
I’d love to see him succeed and I agree shunting him around isn’t helping but he needs to take these opportunities. If he was delisted at the end of the year do you think anyone else would pick him up? I don’t think they would.

Schache will probably play alright in a game like this. Put him in front of a decent crowd and against a finals contender then it becomes his test. You can only go on what you see, maybe he is not as driven as other players and AFL isn't the be all and end all for him, like it is for most other players. Hope he can find some consistent form and play like his life depends on it, but with his age and history, you have to wonder how much he wants it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to the scottish hairdresser Robbie MC COMB on your first game. From what I have seen in the magoos his attack on the footy is first rate his skills questionable. Hope he gets the footy and uses it.

Schache will probably play alright in a game like this. Put him in front of a decent crowd and against a finals contender then it becomes his test. You can only go on what you see, maybe he is not as driven as other players and AFL isn't the be all and end all for him, like it is for most other players. Hope he can find some consistent form and play like his life depends on it, but with his age and history, you have to wonder how much he wants it.
He did alright in the finals last year, iirc.

People are very right to write off Schache after 1 poor game this season. Ok he played badly and was dropped, but people are talking like he played a month of bad footy or something. He may have very well not had gotten a game in R1 anyway if O'Brien was fit. He was a depth and fringe option last year and has continued to be it this year.

Ah man, at least we’re well drilled in playing with no ruck. Glad it forced us to structure up well in a way but would have preferred Buku to Schache like the rest of us here.

Shows up how incompetent our management of the ruck position in our list has been though that now we’re relying on Martin (and admitting he can’t run out a full game by playing another tall for the first time in history) and Sweet - would have hate to have another 10 games into Sweet right now 🙄

Surely just play them both to tag team the role and get maybe one competent ruckman outta them both - and get Sweet some game time for when Martin inevitably breaks down sometime within the next 8 qtrs
F..k your posts are depressing

This next few weeks is going to be intriguing - honestly it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it shows that the team performs better in a lot of ways with a traditional ruckman and an extra tall than a utility as a ruckman with an extra dime a dozen slow average flanker - even if that traditional ruckman is 45 yo and the extra tall was Schache.

It would really make an absolute meal of just about every decision we’ve made in the past 4 years if that ends up being the case 🤪
Alternatively it might prove all your theory were crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back