Preview Changes - Freo Vs Saints Rnd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Palmer (inj), De Boer (inj), Roberton (suspended - we all know it's coming), any other player not up to a high intensity game against St Kilda

In: Any player that's prepared to actually play a ****ing decent game in Melbourne.

I'll be there and ready to unload on the team if they serve up the same shit that they always seem to in Melbourne

why not try Anthony at full forward for a few weeks instead of Johnson. at least we can make a decision on him. We already know what Johnson offers.

mick malthouse said something interesting on friday night, commentating on SEN, something along the lines of: players who are left to play in the VFL learn to play VFL footy, but to play in the AFL, players need to be given the opportunity to play for a number of games in the AFL. We're doing this with zac clarke, but giving anthony the same opportunity would be prudent.

mick malthouse said something interesting on friday night, commentating on SEN, something along the lines of: players who are left to play in the VFL learn to play VFL footy, but to play in the AFL, players need to be given the opportunity to play for a number of games in the AFL. We're doing this with zac clarke, but giving anthony the same opportunity would be prudent.

Yea I agree with this - I suspect that Keps would have been a (slightly) better option than Jack vs Hawks in those conditions, but match committee made their call and I think they need to stick with it for a few games at least.

BTW, I like your use of the word 'prudent' - you've actually used it in proper context and meaning which is not often done.

Yea I agree with this - I suspect that Keps would have been a (slightly) better option than Jack vs Hawks in those conditions, but match committee made their call and I think they need to stick with it for a few games at least.

BTW, I like your use of the word 'prudent' - you've actually used it in proper context and meaning which is not often done.

:thumbsu: cheers, dude. and yeah, there's little sense in selecting a player for a game and then dropping him. jack needs to at least be given the chance to find his feet or we'll just end up ruining him.

I think it is almost certainly Shammertime, been cutting up the WAFL all year while guys like Hinkley have been given a game on the back of ok form, he may not be the most skilled player going around but he will give his all and deserves a shot.

I think it is almost certainly Shammertime, been cutting up the WAFL all year while guys like Hinkley have been given a game on the back of ok form, he may not be the most skilled player going around but he will give his all and deserves a shot.

I would be pretty disappointed if this happened. If there was any chance at all that he is with us next season, fair enough. That is the reason Hinkley got games; to see if he is up to it, and it would be better to go for Hinkley again.

Meh, it's somewhat irrelevant given (a) Harvey will persist with the idea that Crowley is a good stoppage player despite 7 seasons of evidence to the contrary (b) Ibbotson will continue to take the kick-outs despite offering no drive from defense (c) our forward structure is a disgrace (d) we have a team full of players that can't win a contested footy to save themselves and (e) Johnson will never be dropped under Harvey, but here's the team I'd go with.

OUT: Roberton (susp.), Palmer (inj.), De Boer (inj.), Duffield, Johnson, Crowley

IN: Bucovaz, Suban, Mellington, Pitt, Bradley, McPharlin

B: Suban - Silvagni - Grover
HB: Bucovaz - McPharlin - Hill
C: Fyfe - Broughton - Mzungu
HF: Bradley - Pavlich - Ballantyne
F: Mellington - Anthony - Mayne
R: Clarke - Barlow - Ibbotson

I: McPhee - Lower - Pearce - Pitt (S)

McPharlin, obvious change is obvious.

Let either of Suban or Hill take the kick out duties. My vote goes to Suban, as it allows Hill to play further up the ground from kick-ins. Set Ibbotson the challenge to play as a defensive midfielder on Dal Santo. Ibbo is even worse around stoppages than Crowley, but he annoys me slightly less when I see him on screen, so he can have the job.

With Broughton stepping up in the midfield, Suban can be given the task of replacing him in defense, therefore he can play on Milne. I think Suban is somewhat wasted down back, but he probably doesn't have the fitness at the moment to start transitioning through the midfield regularly; give it a few weeks.

Bucovaz can come in to replace Roberton. Hindsight has me wondering whether dropping Bucovaz after 1 game was the right thing to do...

Bradley in for Johnson, we need a back-up ruckman now that Clarke is riding solo. Ahahhahaha as if that will happen! Sorry Anthony you are gone, I like your hustle kid, that's why it's so hard to say this...cut! It will be awesome this week when we have Bradley rucking, Pavlich playing midfield, Anthony playing WAFL and MJ and Mayne as our key forward targets. St kilda won't zone off and mop up like it's a training drill, against that set-up at all.

Mellington can come in and play that HF role that Palmer has been struggling with all year.

Pitt can come in to play as the substitute, because f%$k it, why not?

Who do we send to Goddard?
I reckon fyfe would be a good match up.
Dal santo is in shredding,do we send lower or broughton to him?
Milne & schnider are out next headache,ibbo,hill or suban?
Hopefully we don't get destroyed in the clearances,and we are super patient in bringing the ball into attacking 50,as the saints will have big numbers flooded back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the game we played against the Saints earlier this year. You know the one where the bookies had us favorites to win, even without Sandi?

The Saints used the press really well that day and locked the ball in their forward 50. They also kept Schneider and Milne free at the front of the forward press so that when the ball was bombed into their attacking half, Milne and Scheider just ran onto the loose ball and ran into an open goal without a Freo player in sight.

Those two work beautifully together.

I hope we have those two covered this time.

Does Crowley go to montagna?
Jones will probably get Barlow,hopefully Micky b can drift forward on the counter and mark a few inside 50.

I'd say Crowley should get first crack at Dal Santo.

Try to get Hill matched up with Montagna.

JVB to Schneider?

We bottled up Riewoldt and Milne last time with McPharlin and Grover. I reckon Silvagni could be a trump card playing loose man or even going forward?

I'd say Crowley should get first crack at Dal Santo.

Try to get Hill matched up with Montagna.

JVB to Schneider?

We bottled up Riewoldt and Milne last time with McPharlin and Grover. I reckon Silvagni could be a trump card playing loose man or even going forward?

As much as I hate to see the likes of SNOS & maca go forward,it might happen with Dawson looking at time.

Dawson is OUT due to suspension.

Roberton can make an early plea and get a reprimand.

Bradley certain to come back now that Dawson is out I would think.

Injury List as at 1 August 2011

Justin Bollenhagen - knee: test
Matt de Boer - knee: 8 weeks
Jonathon Griffin - hip: test
Roger Hayden- leg: 5-6 weeks
Viv Michie - foot: season
Anthony Morabito - knee: season
David Mundy - leg: 2 weeks
Rhys Palmer - ankle: 1-2 weeks
Gavin Roberts - quad: test
Tim Ruffles - knee: 1-2 weeks
Aaron Sandilands- toe: 1-2 weeks
Michael Walters - knee: 2 weeks

So we don't exactly have a canvas to paint with here, but I'm tipping some wholesale dice rolling to get some fresher legs 6-days out. Oh, and of course to respond to the Chevron Curse of Injuries.

McPharlap, Mellington, Pearce, Kep Monster, Hinkley, anyone who hasn't played three tough games in 17 days (??).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes - Freo Vs Saints Rnd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back