Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgusting. Tex, JJ, Lynch and Otto hunting in our 50 when we don't get clean possession, welcome again to our fabled 'red carpet' system for defending between the arcs. Here's a tip, Otto with 12 touches, 1.1 will get a pass whilst a defender or 2 will wear the vitriol as to why we conceded easy scores. As I pistes yesterday, it was a formality. They can't go past years in the system and good guy status ahead of anything that will actually throw off our opponents. Good news is that the ciaching group will gave seriously considered whether the rest if the group can cover for Ittem the immobile. And the answer is, "yes, we can carry him through this week". No need to look at speed and extra midfield running power, Otto will be huge next week as a glacier on the warm MCG. Disgusting.

At AFL level?

People need to pull their heads in. Cats have Taylor who can go forward or back. Whilst Otten isn't at that level, he provides us the flexibility to counter such a move.

I completely get the logic of his selection.

Yeh, but you've already proven that you look no further than inches above ground level. So, of course, this change is obviously near perfect.

Disgusting. Tex, JJ, Lynch and Otto hunting in our 50 when we don't get clean possession, welcome again to our fabled 'red carpet' system for defending between the arcs. Here's a tip, Otto with 12 touches, 1.1 will get a pass whilst a defender or 2 will wear the vitriol as to why we conceded easy scores. As I pistes yesterday, it was a formality. They can't go past years in the system and good guy status ahead of anything that will actually throw off our opponents. Good news is that the ciaching group will gave seriously considered whether the rest if the group can cover for Ittem the immobile. And the answer is, "yes, we can carry him through this week". No need to look at speed and extra midfield running power, Otto will be huge next week as a glacier on the warm MCG. Disgusting.
I agree with all this but he's playing...we need to hope beyond hope it doesn't cost us.

When judging Otten's game in the wash up you are absolutely right that the defensive aspect of his game must be taken into account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please this is not our worse team of the year

Massive over reaction
It is our worst team all year but circumstances have unfortunately led to that. Not saying we won't win but i'm not feeling as confident as i did 1 month ago. If you dont think smith and gov are in our best team your a poor judge. We've lost pace at both ends and what do we do? We bring in one of the slowest players on our list in otten. What do geelong do? Bring in more speed in nakia cockatoo to exploit this fact.

Last edited:
The game will be won or lost in the midfield

Otten' selection will not be the deciding factor

That's simplistic bullshit. Same was said before VB's selection cost us round 1 last year. If you don't get your defensive pressure right out of your forward 50 then you concede pressureless disposal into the opponents attacking 50. We've been doing this wrong for years. Our structure up forward is shit and we'll need to rob from our midfield power to cover for the lack of pace. You'll still be sprouting that garbage when we match them for contested ball and inside 50's but get done for scoreboard impact. What will happen is that if we don't gain possession with our inside 50, we will concede the exit and ultimately pressure free ball to Geelong into their 50. We've been seeing this shit fir years. Otto's selection is typical of our club over the past few years where it's so easy to take a known failing option because you can back up the decision on structure, experience and any other bullshit metric that the vast proportion of supporters can't swallow quick enough.

Did I miss the moment where Cockatoo became a good player that needed to be rushed in off the back of minimal game time?

Lmfao thought exactly the same thing, has a history of not delivering when pressure is on. Guarantee he will get caught holding the ball 3 times minimum and spray 70% of kicks. Will be gun player but if he's their go to star and rush him in type player they're in big strife

6r6jdw.jpg

I reckon Geelong have missed a trick here personally, we've spooked them with height.

At first I was worried about fwd pressure, but the added benefit of potentially nullyfying the extra tall fwd in Stanley or Taylor is a big bonus.

Geelong have gone pretty tall too which is a surprise.

Don't think Otten's selection dictates the game personally but what would a week be without a good old selection melt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back