Preview R22: Changes vs. Footscray

This week Daniel Curtin will...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The worrying thing isn't just that Murphy is being selected, it's that he must be seen as being a key part of our game plan.
Yep

The club hasn't been chopping and changing that role. They aren't searching for improvement.

There's no chance of us looking to trade or even draft in a player for that role. We are fully satisfied with the current output.

Murphy does not play as a SF.

He plays that role you mentioned. Although more accurately he is a stoppage mid.

And bad at it.

Even if you want to consider him a SF, he is bad at that too.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Which is probably the role that will best suit Dowling in our side, working up and back with his stamina, he’s good overhead, generally makes good decisions (needs to tidy up his kicking a bit), and has good goal sense.

He’s superior now to Murphy and he’s 7 games in, yet he’s the one who’s dropped 🤬

But the noise is around him playing again, which means his manager or the club are leaking for a PR feel good moment of him playing on another year.
Another year on the list won't be detrimental to the club, Walker still goes well, teams fear him and he takes main defenders, Thilthorpe and Fog will naturally take over. Smith has got to go this year though

Last edited:
If they haven't announced it yet I can't see it being the case. Can only assume Tex doesn't want to retire and the club hasn't made a decision yet.

It will be sad if it does get to the point where we do decide we won't offer him another contract and he doesn't get a farewell. He would then also miss his lap of honour at the AFL grand final.

Unfortunately we don't have a great recent history of players retiring when they should and end up going on too long. Not a great result for the player or for the fans.
I get the feeling it may the other way around. I reckon the offer is there, and Tex is weighing up if it's worth one last go.

In the presser it sounded like Nicks wanted Tex to play on next year when asked about the possibility of this being his last in front of a home crowd.

Plus after the debacle of the Hawks game at home, the club announcing it's Tex's last home game (along with Fog's 100th) and good weather could virtually guarantee a sell out crowd... and we all know just how much the club (and AFL and SMA) cares about our dollars going into their coffers.

I get the feeling it may the other way around. I reckon the offer is there, and Tex is weighing up if it's worth one last go.

In the presser it sounded like Nicks wanted Tex to play on next year when asked about the possibility of this being his last in front of a home crowd.

Plus after the debacle of the Hawks game at home, the club announcing it's Tex's last home game (along with Fog's 100th) and good weather could virtually guarantee a sell out crowd... and we all know just how much the club (and AFL and SMA) cares about our dollars going into their coffers.
I wouldn't put it past us planting that question about if this was Tex's last game in Nicks Thursday conference to get people to talk about it and get extra bums on seats on the off chance it's true. Sneaky ****ers.

Then again, would they be that smart? We know they are devious enough. ;) :tongueoutv1:

I get that feeling too. Especially with Rory and the fam off having a fabulous time in the Maldives the last week or so. I reckon Tex is weighing it all up.

So Max is trotted out in the interview tonight liking the challenge of playing a hard tag on Bont...

Seriously, who the **** wants to see this? Is this how negative our team has become?

So we take the best rebounding defensive player in our team to turn this into.. what? This? Really?

A defensive slugfest that generates like maybe, 10 goals for the entire game?

Jesus H ****ing Christ! If you want me to completely abandon this team, you are going the right way about it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Tex plays on next year but that it is a transition year for him. Spends good time in the SANFL mentoring the younger players on field and most capable of playing some AFL as required. Then the year after get him in as a forward line coach to kick off his coaching career. I am not fussed he has only been with us as he is an exceptional footballer and knows the game back to front

I hope Tex plays on next year but that it is a transition year for him. Spends good time in the SANFL mentoring the younger players on field and most capable of playing some AFL as required. Then the year after get him in as a forward line coach to kick off his coaching career. I am not fussed he has only been with us as he is an exceptional footballer and knows the game back to front
When the back injuries started, I thought this season maybe it. We've had really good warriors who have not made it back from that. Mark Stevens, Ken McGregor... I'm sure there are others.

Ideally I want Tex to call it when he is ready... and it is really a tough call to let go of. There maybe are some people hurt if it's late, but if he decides to stop after the season, then so be it. The last few years he said he's weighed it up before going thorough another preseason, before the year has even started.

It's been a tough year to watch overall, but with Tex last season when he was in contention for the Coleman, maybe moreso.

Can you go one more year big fella? I reckon there would be an honest answer... and you would take it at face value.

Last edited:
When the back injuries started, I thought this season maybe it. We've had really good warriors who have not made it back from that. Mark Stevens, Ken McGregor... I'm sure there are others.

Ideally I want Tex to call it when he is ready... and it is really a tough call to let go of. There maybe some people hurt if it's late, but if he decides to stop after the season, then so be it. The last few years he said he's weighed it up before going thorough another preseason, before the year has even started.

It's been a tough year to watch overall, but with Tex last season when he was in contention for the Coleman, maybe moreso.

Can you go one more year big fella? I reckon there would be an honest answer... and you would take it at face value.
Agree... happy for Tex to make the call as he knows his body & still been handy this year when not injured. If he plays on, just needs to be managed during the year. Offers plenty of leadership for young forwards too.

Smith on the other hand is cooked

He is deep fried.
Haha, I like deep fried... just had chips with thick porterhouse steak... & mushroom, pepper & red wine gravy... with paracombe reuben.

Nothing enjoyable about Nicks. :(

Excellent work by the club to get the father's involved..

Paul Nankervis,Russ Curtin, Gerard Butts, Ben Thilthorpe, Jason Rachele, Michael Cook, Gordon Smith, Jack Dowling, Wayne Walker etc

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R22: Changes vs. Footscray

Back