B- Lever May McVee
HB- Salem Petty Brayshaw
C- Langdon Oliver Hunter
HF- Petrecca Van Rooyen Laurie
F- Chandler Brown Pickett
FOLL- Gawn Jordan Viney
I/C- Sparrow, Grundy, Bowey, Howles
Sub- Melksham

Only thing I can think of is that Kozzy is carrying something. It would explain the form slump and lack of midfield minutes.

He's been without a spark for too long now. It's sad as his R1 game against the Dogs was unstoppable with him floating through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're genuinely a chance to trot this out as a forward line this week:

HF: Neal-Bullen Smith Chandler/Spargo
FF: Melksham Brown Pickett

Christ that's grim.

Alright, so, would love to see....

OUT: Fritsch (inj), Smith, Brown
IN: JVR, Oliver, Woey
Harmes as sub instead of Melksham

FB: Mcvee, May, Petty
HB: Salem, Lever, Rivers
C: Hunter, Viney, Langdon
HF: ANB, JVR, Bowey
FF: Pickett, Gawn, Petracca
FOL: Grundy, Oliver, Sparrow

INT: Woewodin, Melksham, Brayshaw, Chandler
SUB: Harmes

A team with forward issues under the roof on a quick deck - go just a little bit smaller.

Only thing I can think of is that Kozzy is carrying something. It would explain the form slump and lack of midfield minutes.

He's been without a spark for too long now. It's sad as his R1 game against the Dogs was unstoppable with him floating through the middle.
I don't think Kozzy is missing out on midfield minutes because of injury.

I think Simon says, 'We'll be really clever here. We'll play a slow, defensive game for most of the season, grind out wins, get tons of learnings and then, when no-one is looking, we'll pull the tarp off to reveal our true selves, just in time for the finals. Then we'll run over the top of everyone. No-one in the media will see it coming and they will declare me a genius.'

Late August... Simon pulls off the tarp to reveal a broken, battered and demoralised heap of 'the players formerly known as good'. They stumble into the finals, only to be knocked out by St. Kilda because they the only thing they can remember is how to kick long bombs down the line. No-one in the media sees it coming and they declare Ross Lyon a genius.

Alright, so, would love to see....

OUT: Fritsch (inj), Smith, Brown
IN: JVR, Oliver, Woey
Harmes as sub instead of Melksham

FB: Mcvee, May, Petty
HB: Salem, Lever, Rivers
C: Hunter, Viney, Langdon
HF: ANB, JVR, Bowey
FF: Pickett, Gawn, Petracca
FOL: Grundy, Oliver, Sparrow

INT: Woewodin, Melksham, Brayshaw, Chandler
SUB: Harmes

A team with forward issues under the roof on a quick deck - go just a little bit smaller.
Don't mind the changes, but there's just no use giving Petracca big forward minutes.

At this point, I'd even rather Oliver as a forward. Trac is a liability in front of goals, and he doesn't have a whole lot of forward craft to begin with.

Like the idea of Bowey kicking it inside 50 though. Would still like to see Rivers in the middle more, too.

Don't mind the changes, but there's just no use giving Petracca big forward minutes.

At this point, I'd even rather Oliver as a forward. Trac is a liability in front of goals, and he doesn't have a whole lot of forward craft to begin with.

Like the idea of Bowey kicking it inside 50 though. Would still like to see Rivers in the middle more, too.

My theory on Trac is that he's just in rush mode this year, play him more forward and perhaps he won't be like that as much given he's not trying to bust out of clearances etc. As it stands, I would rather him kicking for goal than delivering it inside 50. He would also gives us a new level with ground ball gets in there. Just reckon it's worth a shot, he'd still rotate into the middle, but like 70-30 or so.

He kicked better and we scored more when he played more forward in the first half of the season so far. Gotta try something and what better week to do it with Oliver (hopefully) back and Fritsch out?

Anyway, they'll never drop Sprayshaw (much to my dismay), so I'd probably go:

In: Woewodin, Tomlinson, JVR, Oliver
Out: Fritsch, Brown, Smith, Harmes

FB: Lever May McVee
HB: Salem Tomlinson Rivers
C: Hunter Viney Langdon
HF: Bowey Petty Pickett
FF: ANB JVR Chandler
RR: Gawn Oliver Petracca
IC: Brayshaw Sparrow Grundy Woewodin
Sub: Who cares

And for the love of god, just settle on two key forwards and play them for the rest of the year. Enough of this shuffling deckchairs nonsense, the cohesion isn't going to improve if we're changing it every week. JVR and Petty are our two best options (as much as that's rubbish), so just stick with them.

Can see the argument for sticking with Smith in Fritsch's absence, if that's the case, he can replace one of the small forwards.

I see people blaming a phantom injury or Goodwin’s mismanagement for Kozzy playing like sh1te. Maybe.
More likely the player himself is just not working anywhere near hard enough. For a player on good coin on a long term deal, he’s been atrocious.

The “problem” is that so many general play indicators are healthy that I’m positive the coaching staff don’t think there’s much going wrong.

I’ll be an optimist and agree that there is only one part of the game that really needs to click - and that’s a forward line that can operate efficiently.

On expected score, which we know Goodwin and co. place a lot of weight on, a Melbourne should’ve smashed GWS 70 odd to 40 odd. Can’t recall the exact numbers.

Fritsch being the most efficient and now out for two months is hardly going to make things better.

As much as I hate Brown’s liability at ground level, and loss of penetration, he is pretty deadly within 40 metres. Under the roof at Marvel are as good as conditions will get for him.

Can ANB’s fumbling and ball butchery continue to be tolerated? Sure he applies pressure and runs lots, but is he now a net liability? Harmes can’t possibly remain in after that effort. Chandler could do with a spell.

Laurie is an excellent ball user. As is Spargo. For mine it’s time to try a less athletically gifted, but more footy skills gifted forward line setup.

JvR also is an excellent converter.

The “problem” is that so many general play indicators are healthy that I’m positive the coaching staff don’t think there’s much going wrong.

I’ll be an optimist and agree that there is only one part of the game that really needs to click - and that’s a forward line that can operate efficiently.

On expected score, which we know Goodwin and co. place a lot of weight on, a Melbourne should’ve smashed GWS 70 odd to 40 odd. Can’t recall the exact numbers.

Fritsch being the most efficient and now out for two months is hardly going to make things better.

As much as I hate Brown’s liability at ground level, and loss of penetration, he is pretty deadly within 40 metres. Under the roof at Marvel are as good as conditions will get for him.

Can ANB’s fumbling and ball butchery continue to be tolerated? Sure he applies pressure and runs lots, but is he now a net liability? Harmes can’t possibly remain in after that effort. Chandler could do with a spell.

Laurie is an excellent ball user. As is Spargo. For mine it’s time to try a less athletically gifted, but more footy skills gifted forward line setup.

JvR also is an excellent converter.

Fritsch should be replaced by JVR in my opinion. Then Brown can take the best defender and JVR has more of a chance (Fritsch does not offer a lot of defensive pressure and they are both good kicks).

Harmes is a straight out he needs to hit form in the VFL. Maybe give a younger player a shot.
If Spargo or anthoer small has form in the VFL then he should come in perhaps for Chandler who might need a week or two out (he has been off for a while).

Melksham could be sub or just put someone with a tank in as sub. I don't know if JJ offers anything that makes him a certainty.

Overall the defence is fine, the scores against are not out of control. The midfield is doing well.

It's just that damn accuracy that has caused this team to drop the last two games and nearly the one against Collingwood. That is fixable, big question is if they can fix it or just other elements drop off because they can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back