Preview Changes/Preview – Round 17 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha skip through to 6 minutes in for a super awkward silence...

Also, doesn't sound super convincing about JVR coming back in this week. Bloody hope so though.

Haha skip through to 6 minutes in for a super awkward silence...

Also, doesn't sound super convincing about JVR coming back in this week. Bloody hope so though.

Agree on JvR. All of what Goodwin said suggested JvR won’t be straight back in. That’s good selection integrity assuming JvR hasn’t yet proved he’s on top of what he was asked to work on.

So Petty forward and Tomlinson into the backline would be my guess.

It also pretty much confirms that Goody believes every part of the game is in good shape with the exception of finishing. So I don’t expect to see anything particularly surprising anywhere besides a change to the forward setup which is forced anyway with Fritsch’s injury.

As an aside, Goody press conferences are always an assault of cliches. Except when asked about forward mix for the 47th time… and despite the cliche avalanche you can still read between the lines reasonably well if you’ve heard him enough times.

Agree on JvR. All of what Goodwin said suggested JvR won’t be straight back in. That’s good selection integrity assuming JvR hasn’t yet proved he’s on top of what he was asked to work on.

So Petty forward and Tomlinson into the backline would be my guess.

It also pretty much confirms that Goody believes every part of the game is in good shape with the exception of finishing. So I don’t expect to see anything particularly surprising anywhere besides a change to the forward setup which is forced anyway with Fritsch’s injury.

As an aside, Goody press conferences are always an assault of cliches. Except when asked about forward mix for the 47th time… and despite the cliche avalanche you can still read between the lines reasonably well if you’ve heard him enough times.

Maybe. I reckon Goody learned about going smaller at Marvel a while back and then we went on that winning streak there, so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Brown, Smith and then the resting ruck when that happens, as the tall forward setup.

Maybe. I reckon Goody learned about going smaller at Marvel a while back and then we went on that winning streak there, so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Brown, Smith and then the resting ruck when that happens, as the tall forward setup.
The Saints are running a pretty short backline. Howard 199cm and would be the obvious Brown matchup.

Then it’s Wilkie at 191cm and Battle (also 191cm) is injured and unlikely to play.

You may be right that Brown and a resting ruck is already going to stretch them height wise, and another proper tap down there could flip it the other way with Melbourne’s forward line being too slow against a more agile backline.

Saints aren’t running a particularly tall forward line. King is the danger, but after that you’ve got a very inexperienced Caminiti (19 years and 196cm) and Owens who is playing well but at 191cm isn’t a true tall forward.

Play Petty as a true swing man depending on how the game turns out ?

The Saints are running a pretty short backline. Howard 199cm and would be the obvious Brown matchup.

Then it’s Wilkie at 191cm and Battle (also 191cm) is injured and unlikely to play.

You may be right that Brown and a resting ruck is already going to stretch them height wise, and another proper tap down there could flip it the other way with Melbourne’s forward line being too slow against a more agile backline.

Saints aren’t running a particularly tall forward line. King is the danger, but after that you’ve got a very inexperienced Caminiti (19 years and 196cm) and Owens who is playing well but at 191cm isn’t a true tall forward.

Play Petty as a true swing man depending on how the game turns out ?

Just have the feeling this will be the circumstances where Melksham comes in. Fritsch out, JVR not being called up, smaller lineup possibly... Brown and Smith as the talls, with Melksham playing that hybrid role Fritsch does (albeit in a different way), Gawn floating through a bit as per normal, then a bunch of smalls, maybe even Trac a bit more forward?

At least there'll be something entertaining about Saturday's game now. Well done, Taj

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd better hear "Still Woewodin" at least once this week if I'm going to sit through this 45-35 spectacle

Yeah would not be surprised at all if Oliver is the one at fault here. Clubs 2-4 in our last 6 and he probably thinks he can help.
I have no idea what actually happened, but medical staff are very reliant on the player being honest with what they tell them about how they feel and symptoms, and also very reliant on the player sticking to any rehabilitation instructions strictly.

Even when the player is completely honest and the rehab strictly adhered to things can still go wrong.

Thinking about Clarry and the "vibe" you get listening to him speak and the talk about him being ultra competitive, vs. a team of university educated sports scientists and physios, I know who I think is more likely to make an error or ignore conventional wisdom.

The heated argument looks like the medical staffer telling Oliver he isn't hitting the markers that say he's recovered, and Oliver is arguing that he's fine. If that's the case, it's another piece of evidence that says the medical staff are playing it by objective markers, and Oliver is the one trying to push things so he can be passed to play.

Good to see Woey jnr. get a run.

Based on what I've seen at Casey he has really improved his disposal reliability this year vs. 2022. He's a natural right footer but often uses his left foot to good effect.

2022 he was playing mostly wing and half back for Casey, this year he's been playing mostly midfield which explains his bigger numbers.

Don't get carried away with his three goals for Casey last week. Yes, they were nice goals but it's unusual for him to kick that many. Just one of those games where he was in the right spot at the right time.

He's got decent pace and I think he's also lifted the intensity that he plays at this year with a bit more physicality in his game. Part of that might be confidence, part may be playing on ball in more contested situations means he has more chance to be physical vs. 2022 where he was more outside.

At a guess he will be replacing Harmes in the 22.

Good to see Woey jnr. get a run.

Based on what I've seen at Casey he has really improved his disposal reliability this year vs. 2022. He's a natural right footer but often uses his left foot to good effect.

2022 he was playing mostly wing and half back for Casey, this year he's been playing mostly midfield which explains his bigger numbers.

Don't get carried away with his three goals for Casey last week. Yes, they were nice goals but it's unusual for him to kick that many. Just one of those games where he was in the right spot at the right time.

He's got decent pace and I think he's also lifted the intensity that he plays at this year with a bit more physicality in his game. Part of that might be confidence, part may be playing on ball in more contested situations means he has more chance to be physical vs. 2022 where he was more outside.

At a guess he will be replacing Harmes in the 22.
If nothing else, it's just gonna be awesome to see a new face through the middle. Sick of the same crap over and over

Oliver also has no noted history of soft tissue injuries? Bloke is an animal and would have no idea how to slow down to rest it properly (as seen by him finishing the game on it, running to try and get ready for QB and now these scenes).

Probably need to keep him on a very tight leash which he is hating

If nothing else, it's just gonna be awesome to see a new face through the middle. Sick of the same crap over and over
Agree. At least if it fails it will be a youngster who got a taste and wasn't quite up to it yet, rather than a Harmes or a Jordon or even a Dunstan confirming that they aren't up to it.

Agree. At least if it fails it will be a youngster who got a taste and wasn't quite up to it yet, rather than a Harmes or a Jordon or even a Dunstan confirming that they aren't up to it.
And Woey doesn't base his game on inside contested numbers too so with all our inside players they might be able to being him up to a level he couldn't show in the VFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back