Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a mismatch of clubs in a final if there ever was one.

In one corner there's Hawthorn. A club who have won a flag in every decade since the 60's from memory. Who knows what it takes to build dominant sides. They are riding a wave of momentum with a team that is built to exploit our weaknesses. Oh and they're coached by a guy who played in 4 flags and has an attacking game plan based around his team's strengths.

In the other corner is Port Adelaide. A club with a group of players who freeze in finals. With an AFL history that is littered with disastrous finals exits and calamities. Who are coached by the exact opposite of Sam Mitchell.

You couldn't script it any better.
Hawthorn got rid of club greats Luke Hodge Sam Michell Jordan Lewis and finally Alistair Clarkson to rebuild, we have kept Hinkley Dixon Boak and every other underachiever you care to mention and are about to fall off a cliff.

Hawks will be cooked when they play you guys, look like they’ve just played their grand final.

Everyone falls in the trap of writing off the QF loser in the Semi.

Every team has a shocker, that’s the way this season - take when you flogged us.

Your midfield stacks up well v hawks.

Port to win easily IMO.
Have to been taking something tonight?

As usual the Port Adelaide bigfooty forum is overly optimistic.

There's no way we lose to hawthorn. We win it in a classic.

The media spends all week laughing at those who doubted Hinkley before we lose the prelim at quarter time.

"Ken has the full confidence of the board and is contracted for next year - He will coach for 2025"

Radio silence from the club until round 1 and the cycle repeats again.

“No way we lost to Hawthorn” we’ll come back in 7/8 days

I didn’t think the hawks v dogs game was that high a standard. I’m not all doom and gloom. I’m expecting a response from Port. We could not play any worse.

“No way we lost to Hawthorn” we’ll come back in 7/8 days
I reckon the boys find more motivation in saving Ken's job than winning a final in and of itself. "We're people first, players second" kinda thinking. This game against Hawthorn is just another CPR resuscitation moment for Hinkley's career. Seeing the empty patches of seats at Adelaide Oval will motivate them more than any cheer squad. By the way I called the bigfooty forum "optimistic" with tongue firmly in cheek.

I didn’t think the hawks v dogs game was that high a standard. I’m not all doom and gloom. I’m expecting a response from Port. We could not play any worse.
Except their game standard was still MUCH HIGHER than ours. I expect Port to lose by 40+ points.

As usual the Port Adelaide bigfooty forum is overly optimistic.

There's no way we lose to hawthorn. We win it in a classic.

The media spends all week laughing at those who doubted Hinkley before we lose the prelim at quarter time.

"Ken has the full confidence of the board and is contracted for next year - He will coach for 2025"

Radio silence from the club until round 1 and the cycle repeats again.
Sadly I reckon this could be it too. Or failing that we lose this week but Hawthorn and Geelong end up meeting in the grand final and it gives the board enough wiggle room to claim we just got unlucky with the draw we were dealt.

If the best 2 outcomes for us are 1) a premiership and 2) a belting this week I don't expect us to deliver on either.

I reckon the boys find more motivation in saving Ken's job than winning a final in and of itself. "We're people first, players second" kinda thinking. This game against Hawthorn is just another CPR resuscitation moment for Hinkley's career. Seeing the empty patches of seats at Adelaide Oval will motivate them more than any cheer squad. By the way I called the bigfooty forum "optimistic" with tongue firmly in cheek.

Yeah, yeah, but Hinks the Jinks has not won a knockout final since 2014; add an 84-point baptising by the hands of Geelong, with the lads monument being shot as a result of the heavy loss, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Crazy mixed feelings here! My fear is that we are going to beat Hawthorn - And I think we actually will!

I never want Port to lose, but if we do win, we face the scenario of Port possibly even winning a PF, and scraping into the grand final, which gives a 'pass mark" for Ken to stay as coach in 2025 ... Then the next week we are reamed by 20 goals in a grand final bloodbath.

Honestly if Port were a dog, I would have him put down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been brewing all day, no football tonight and for the weekend.
Thinking about how we get in this situation so often.

The fact is Ken is a good enough coach during the minor rounds.
Four of the last five years we have finished in the top four.

Also a fact is the list has been good enough in those minor round games to get us in a good position come September.

Then come finals and everything goes arse up.

Ken is not worth a cold pie and the players go to water.
Facts tell you when finals come around Ken is not good enough and neither is the list.
Just run through some of the players from last night.
McEntee
Boak
Dixon
Evans
Jones
Mead
Narkle
Ratugolea
That’s 8 players that wouldn’t get a game in another top four side.
Then you add the soft as butter types, we all know who they are and you are never winning nothing in September.

Arguing if the list is good enough isn’t just about talent.
We have talented players and some real hard triers but they all lack mental toughness.
If we want to be honest with ourselves we have lacked mental toughness since the 2007 GF.
For the last 17 years every time it’s come to crunch time we fold like a deck of cards.
We need two things at least to turn this around.

Coaches that will not accept pea hearted efforts and Coaches that are prepared to move on players that don’t tow the line.
There is no quick fix, we need a new direction with a playing group that can perform under pressure in September.
Right now we have neither.

Hinkley is now saying that the boys hit back after a big loss to Brisbane earlier in the season so he expects them to hit back against Hawthorn next week. In other words it happened once so we should all expect it to happen again.

Last time around we had Houston, Farrell and Butters available and it wasn't a must win final against an in form outfit who have won 12 from their last 14 games. What planet is Ken Hinkley living on?

If we lose he has to go. Surely. Makes this a win-win game.

How good is Hawthorn as a club though. Win from nowhere in 2008, back it up with a 3peat. Gut their list completely, sack their coach... and in short order are right back up at the top again. Meanwhile the entire time we sit twiddling our thumbs talking about win loss records and co captains.

If Butters plays we might be a chance, but I doubt he will. No Houston, no Butters, no Port.

I hate my Club. Actually, no, strike that, I hate what our board has made my Club. The worst part is they think they're doing a good job and keep doubling down.

Hopefully next Friday sees an end, and a new beginning. The only change needed is coming.

On field, who cares. We all know Dixon and McEntee won't be dropped, and playing either Zak or Todd would simply be negligent.

Just get it over with and give everyone some hope that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't switched off. Again.

I suspect basically no changes, besides maybe Butters out injured and unless they're too stubborn, which is very possible, DBJ to the forwardline.

Surely you can't role with Dixon and Ratugolea again though. I'd prefer an underdone Soldo as a second ruck - at least he can kick a goal. With Evans and McEntee, and Narkle as sub, you can't also have 2 KPFs who don't score.

Marshall/Soldo/Visentini/Lord - whoever I don't really care. Just something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back