Preview Changes/preview - Round 24 v. Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbing out of time to find the best forward mix.

Out: Gawn, Perracca, Lever, other players too.
In: Schache (full game thanks), Brodie, Ben Brown, Tom MacDonald, Fritata.

Sydney are a good side, no shame in losing to them and making sure of it.

Running out that should read, sorry xoxox

Rubbing out of time to find the best forward mix.

Out: Gawn, Perracca, Lever, other players too.
In: Schache (full game thanks), Brodie, Ben Brown, Tom MacDonald, Fritata.

Sydney are a good side, no shame in losing to them and making sure of it.

Running out that should read, sorry xoxox
Rotate a fresh 6 into the forwardline after every goal is kicked.

Laurie was exactly what I expected. Ok, nothing brilliant. Limited to only ever being able to play one position which is as a small forward and he's not at the front of that line.
The second we draft a midfielder he will drop out of the team again as he can't play anywhere else on the ground and the midfielder will rotate through HF.

Laurie had a couple of decent moments, and I think he can still be a good player in the future, but he can't play in September. He just doesn't have the physicality, the composure, or the tank for that at the moment.

Up forward, it's too late for experimenting. Grundy obviously won't work, Brown is cooked, McDonald was cooked before we even factor in his missing half a season, and Schache should have been given a run 6 weeks ago if we thought he was any chance of playing a part. Smith might be our best bet here, but then we have to weigh up whether he or Tomlinson are better down back. But if we think Tomlinson is our guy down back, then we probably shouldn't have been constantly dropping him and subbing him out every week for the last 3 months, robbing him of the confidence and continuity he needs to be a reliable cog down there.

I don't know how it'll pan out next week, but Hibberd and Fristch have to be part of our September plans. Here's my team for then:

B: McVee / May / Tomlinson
HB: Salem / Lever / Rivers
C: Hunter / Brayshaw / Langdon
HF: ANB / Melksham / Petracca
FF: Pickett / JVR / Fritsch
R: Gawn / Viney / Oliver
Int: Bowey / Chandler / Sparrow / Hibberd
Sub: Smith

It's a small forward line, but Melk has actually caused problems for KPFs like Andrews and Siciliy recently, and I'm not sure we'd be sacrificing anything with our lack of height up forward given who the alternatives are. Smith in as sub if we feel we're lacking competitiveness in the air (or in the team down back if we don't trust Tomlinson), but if every combination of talls has failed so far, why not try something smaller?

Just watched the post match presser, I expected as much but Goody said we wont be resting players. (as a coach you want to instil confidence that we aren't scared of facing anyone anywhere in the finals, so I get it, but you can get your way around it by saying to players I want to make sure youre healthy and out there for us in September, we've locked a double chance up and that's all that matters)

I look forward to a laundry list of injuries coming out of a meaningless game.

Shrek Film Wedding GIF by PeacockTV

Just watched the post match presser, I expected as much but Goody said we wont be resting players. (as a coach you want to instil confidence that we aren't scared of facing anyone anywhere in the finals, so I get it, but you can get your way around it by saying to players I want to make sure youre healthy and out there for us in September, we've locked a double chance up and that's all that matters)

I look forward to a laundry list of injuries coming out of a meaningless game.

Shrek Film Wedding GIF by PeacockTV
You gotta balance the risk of losing match fitness as well. We played a full intra-club practice match the week before a grand final for the same reasons.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Gawn and Trac spent the majority of the second half on the bench similar to the North game.

You gotta balance the risk of losing match fitness as well. We played a full intra-club practice match the week before a grand final for the same reasons.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Gawn and Trac spent the majority of the second half on the bench similar to the North game.

Intra club praccy match would be the go if I was coach. Yes, you tackle and everything but youre not exactly out there tackling and bumping to hurt a teammate like an opposition player would be. Negate some risk. We looked great in the first quarter in the grand final coming off the same preparation, very sharp.

Id still play guys like Oliver and Fritsch coz they need a run, even Kozzy coz he barely had a touch on the weekend, but guys like Max, Trac, Lever, May and Viney I would rest.

Intra club praccy match would be the go if I was coach. Yes, you tackle and everything but youre not exactly out there tackling and bumping to hurt a teammate like an opposition player would be. Negate some risk. We looked great in the first quarter in the grand final coming off the same preparation, very sharp.

Id still play guys like Oliver and Fritsch coz they need a run, even Kozzy coz he barely had a touch on the weekend, but guys like Max, Trac, Lever, May and Viney I would rest.

Issue is if pies lose and lions win we have to beat Sydney for a MCG QF. Think we just take our best team and hope everyone else wins.

Issue is if pies lose and lions win we have to beat Sydney for a MCG QF. Think we just take our best team and hope everyone else wins.

Pies won't lose to Essendon.

In the massively unlikely event they do, they play on Friday we play on Sunday, that's what late changes are for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies won't lose to Essendon.

In the massively unlikely event they do, they play on Friday we play on Sunday, that's what late changes are for.
If pies lost but Port and Brisbane won we're basically ****ed either way yeah?

If pies lose and Brisbane win we must beat Sydney.

Again, all those teams play before us so we'd know if it matters, in all likelihood though it won't make any difference if we win or lose, we'd be facing Brisbane.

Essendon are playing just about the worst footy in the comp at the moment and Collingwood will want to find some form, it's more likely Saints and Tigers get up than Essendon.

I still want us to beat Sydney, winning form is good form, but as if we're beating Brisbane at the Gabba, any other outcome is fine. I suppose we'll know by Sunday with the results.

If we do roll the Lions away though, I'd certainly fancy us to win the whole thing.

Just don't see what there is to gain from Max and Trac playing this week. Grundy needs the work if he's going to be up to the mark as an injury replacement for Max in finals, get another game into Laurie and Woey and see which is the best fit for half forward for the finals, and (**** it), give Schache a full game as second forward and back up ruck so we can see once and for all what he is (isn't) made of.

Tommo gets another game to shore up his spot (Lever's form yesterday indicates we need him in that position) and Smith goes back to sub where he is best placed to have an impact.

If Pies beat Bombers and Lions beat St Kilda do you think that you guys would try to drop the game against us to remain 4th and play Pies at the MCG in a qualifying final rather then Brisbane away?

I would back you guys against Pies at Home or Lions away but potentially not having to travel for the whole final series would be a good advantage to have!

If Pies beat Bombers and Lions beat St Kilda do you think that you guys would try to drop the game against us to remain 4th and play Pies at the MCG in a qualifying final rather then Brisbane away?

I would back you guys against Pies at Home or Lions away but potentially not having to travel for the whole final series would be a good advantage to have!
That's what most of us want. Best of luck getting through to Goody, though.

That being said, if Port also beats Richmond, we can't move from fourth so, while the game would be a dead rubber for us, there's no real incentive to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back