Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatdayareckon?

I love Mitch Wallis' endeavour and toughness, but he had a Barry Crocker today. Now that the manic handballing is back, I'd love to see someone with true linebreaking pace through the middle. We over handballed in the third quarter. If we had someone on the end of the third or fourth handball chain who could take off through the congestion, it would have helped enormously. Mitchy is slower than frozen yoghurt. Will JJ be ready or does he need to come through the magoos?

The VFL warmups sound encouraging, will anyone force their way through?

We usually towel up Gold Coast. I don't know what the conditions were like up there, but they scored 7 - 19, with all their goals coming from small forwards. Jarrod Harbrow (still only 30 I thought he must be reaching retirement age!) was their leading possie getter.

GC have 4 - 19 W/L ratio at DC Comics stadium, I expect the twentieth to arrive next week.

Last edited:
GC have worked really hard in both games and the comeback win will have done them the world of good. Could have easily won both games.

Witts and Wright are two good big men, big test for English. They have suffered from poor accuracy too.

Our midfield and work ethic is the key to this I feel.

I still maintain Trengove should come in, although I heard he got injured?

In the 3rd quarter, English and Schache got absolutely smashed in the ruck, and that was the main reason the game started slipping away from us. Both of them got moved off the ball too easily and Hawthorn started winning at the stoppages. That said, English was still better today than he was last week, despite one very bad handball in the 1st quarter.

No other changes really come to mind. Maybe Smith doesn't justify selection over Lippa yet, but he was way better today than he was against Sydney. I agree with the notion he'll just get better and better every time he plays.

How do people think we would have gone had Williams stayed in instead of Young? Do we think today’s structure is more likely going forward?
I like it with Young in the side and I thought he was pretty good today. That doesn't mean Williams shouldn't get a look-in though. I thought we carried Richards and Smith a little today but I understand why we want to play them. Both will be good players if not this year then next.
For now I'd let Williams look on for one more game and then see what transpires, including the return of JJ. So no changes this week.
Lippy sounds like he's going gangbusters in the VFL practice games too. The increased competition for midfield/mid-size spots can only be a good thing for us.

If Johannisen is fit a spot will obviously open up for him (it might have to be for Smith but I thought he showed some really good signs today).

Lipinski is knocking the door down but might have to keep waiting, I’ve been impressed with all the mid/forwards and would try to keep them all in.

Williams probably comes back in for Young.

I think Ed Richards would be looked at. Lloyd and Duryea both not far behind.
Hunter has credits in the bank but needs to stand up when the game is hot.
Duryea has hardly made a mistake in the first two games. Lloyd was terrific last week, quieter today but his first game suggests he will be a very important cog in this side. Can't see how they would be looked at if a change was needed.

I thought Duryea was pretty good today. Played less attacking but was really solid defensively.
Lloyd spending more time behind the ball was weird. Didn't like it, and he didn't get involved very often.
I don't think he'll be dropped, but Dunks was very quiet today as well.
Young did enough to keep a place in the team I think. A few nervous moments and silly mistakes, but he was alright.

Probably no chances for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd was quiet but did some important stuff and didn’t fumble etc. Duryea was rock solid both games I thought.

Like Smith a lot but he, Young and Richards are the only candidates I see if a change is made.

I like Lipinski but it’s not bad for him to have to come in on the back of tipping form. Might have to wait another week.

JJ is exactly what we’re missing atm. We’re doing well out of the middle and have been more effective forward than last year but need someone to take the game on without coughing it up in the D50 ffs. Would probably let Smith out for him - Richards has been a bit down but he’s another with pace.

What. ****. The.

Richards has been disappointing to start the year, JJ if he’s fit as a straight swap. Lloyd better last week playing more forward, but hardly on the chopping block. Duryea hasn’t done much wrong, was immense in the last 5-10 minutes of both games when they were on the line with some important intercept marks. You know, actually clunking them when we are under the pump.
Hunter hasn’t hit the heights of last season but there are plenty more to look at before considering dropping him.

Overall, 2/10 post I won’t recommend to others

I feel like Ed will be primed for marvel, stays in for mine. I'd keep Young in, send him to Lukosius.

Tinfoil hat time, but could Williams have been dropped for disciplinary reasons? Bevo always said he'd cover for his players, so while the resting explanation was odd, it's easy enough to cover. If that's the case, I suspect he spends next week in VFL, and if not the case, I'd leave him there anyway.

Given we'll have a five day break into the Pies, I'd go in unchanged for Suns and keep JJ up our sleeve for round 4.

I thought Duryea was pretty good today. Played less attacking but was really solid defensively.
Lloyd spending more time behind the ball was weird. Didn't like it, and he didn't get involved very often.
I don't think he'll be dropped, but Dunks was very quiet today as well.
Young did enough to keep a place in the team I think. A few nervous moments and silly mistakes, but he was alright.

Probably no chances for me.
Nope, definitely no chances for you. You're not even on the playing list.

Lloyd and Doc had a good game last week, surely you cant drop them after one average game? I thought a string of games dictates form? Both deserve to be there next week I reckon.

Richards has probably been the weak link so far, like Smith hasn't found the ball much, and besides a couple of good kicks, has been caught holding the ball a few times and turned it over. Once again, I'd avoid too many changes, that is what in part screwed us last year, cannot build form and chemistry when 4-5 new players are coming in and out each week.

Unchanged for this week, Lipinski for Richards maybe. JJ to take it easy for another week or two. Williams to the VFL and Young to hold his spot.

When a player (Richards) gives away a goal because he'd rather argue with the umpire and lets the player run inside 50 and kick it you don't think he might get dropped?

No you don’t drop a player for one error and if you did Wallis and Bont would be out also.

Add to that Lloyd was very good round one and you want to drop him after one average game and I’m not sure what games you have watched but Duryea has been more than serviceable.

Richards not good this week but important to the side for his disposal, speed and decision making. Another chance.

Unsure about your thoughts on Lloyd and Duryea: both been solid both games, Lloyd essentially the match winner last week and Duryea provides mongrel in defence.

Agree about Hunter, frustrating at times, but too good a player at this stage to be dropped down.

No changes.

On Moto G (5S) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Peter "Snake Bite" Wright presents as a huge danger for us this week.

I'd be looking at curtailing his influence by continuing Bevo's theme of developing every player on the list into seasoned versatile athletes by giving Caleb "Ankle Biter" Daniel the job on him.

No you don’t drop a player for one error and if you did Wallis and Bont would be out also.

Add to that Lloyd was very good round one and you want to drop him after one average game and I’m not sure what games you have watched but Duryea has been more than serviceable.

Firstly, you need to distinguish between skill errors and stupid lapses of discipline.

Duryea took two good marks in the last quarter but I was at the game and didnt even notice he was out there for most of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back