Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay of the second half, I think Richards is due for a spell in the 2s. Just looks off the pace this year. We need to figure out what we want him to do, because if it's midfield, I'd like to see him do well there consistently at VFL level first. I know he showed some great signs last year, but second year blues are a thing.

If/when Johannisen is fit, he takes Richards' spot imo.

Duryea definitely worked himself into the game. Lloyd quiet but back in the forward line is an absolute must against Gold Coast.

It's nice we're having these discussions but we literally don't have a player who deserves to be dropped. It's fantastic. We're also 2-0 against two good sides, so why change a winning formula? Injuries will start creeping in soon and form slumps, we worry about dropping people then.

Unpopular comment I’m sure but I’d be tempted to drop hunter to find some form in the VFL, his mistakes in the last two games have been terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I am not Hunter's biggest fan, but he had 33 disposals at 70% efficiency and 123 ranking points. If you watched closely he also showed some of the leadership things his old man used to do. Sure he made a couple of errors, but the Hawks scored 86 of their 87 points from turnovers, so he wasn't alone there.

Going to be a tough selection table this week. Williams may push for selection as a late out, and Lipinski is banging the door down demanding a spot.

This game again will be won in the midfield. This is why I was confident we would win the first 2 games. I will back our midfield to get it done again. The other very important player for us is Caleb in his ability to win the lose ball and use it. It has been important when we need to steady the ship. If he keeps going the way he has been going the opposition are going to tag him which leave JJ free when he comes back. JJ will give us more run but he does not use the ball as well as Caleb.

Duryea definitely worked himself into the game. Lloyd quiet but back in the forward line is an absolute must against Gold Coast.

It's nice we're having these discussions but we literally don't have a player who deserves to be dropped. It's fantastic. We're also 2-0 against two good sides, so why change a winning formula? Injuries will start creeping in soon and form slumps, we worry about dropping people then.
Going to be a tough selection table this week. Williams may push for selection as a late out, and Lipinski is banging the door down demanding a spot.
I'd say that we carried both Smith and Richards to some extent. They did a few nice things but no doubt JJ (when ready) will take one of their spots and I agree Lipinski and Williams are the prime candidates for another spot.

The benefit of "carrying" both Smith and Richards is that we can see they are both going to be good players and sooner or later they'll be ready to do more of the heavy lifting. Whether their ceiling is higher than Williams and Lipinski is still a matter for conjecture.

IIRC we carried Cooney for a few of his early career games too. That worked out pretty well (until he cracked his knee cap).

And as noted, other spots will probably open up for Williams and Lippy due to injuries etc. If not, then the competition for spots is still a very healthy thing to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty tough. One would think that JJ and Williams come straight back in, Lipinski might be kept down again given they were two good games, but they were only VFL practice matches. The trouble with dropping JJ and Williams for Richards and Smith would be the balance of the side. For that reasons Young will probably be sent back to the VFL (although he played well). Against GC we probably can afford a shorter defence as well. Should be interesting. We may see another player pull up sore and need a rest anyway.

Good problem to have, not having any obvious candidates to be dropped.

Only two scenarios I see playing out

If JJ is fit

In - JJ, Williams

Out - Young, Smith.

Or if he’s not

In - Williams

Out - Smith

They may even consider giving JJ a week in the VFL since it’s Gold Coast. Not saying we’re no chance of losing but if we’re a finals team we should beat them at Etihad with the side we have.

Drop Hunter? :sick: Yikes
Agreed. He’s made some terrible decisions and continually kicks blind in the first two games but he wins the ball and has plenty of credits in the bank. If we’re winning no need to make such rash decisions. When you’re winning it’s good to keep the same 22/23 together.

I think there are two takeaways from our last quarter against the Hawks:

1 - we should not fear any margin if we're behind
2 - we should ourselves never become complacent if we're up by a comfortable margin

It had been suggested a team's run of momentum would be hard to stop with the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule. We proved this in the last quarter, we just need to be aware that we too could become a victim of it.

With that in mind, we can't go into the Gold Coast game complacent.

Possible ins: Johannisen (pending fitness test), Lipinski, Williams
Vulnerable: Smith (tender shoulder), Richards, Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back