Preview Changes: R10 vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 20, 1.40pm ACST @ Eureka Stadium (Ballarat)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve seen no bulldog matches this year but heard they used him on the wing recently and he was reasonable.
He's been in and out of the side his whole time at the Dogs just can't see the sense bringing him in this week unless it's as a chop out

They dropped Keath for O’Brien, he appears to be coming in to play the interceptor role down back. That’s usually where he plays since going to the Bulldogs.
You could be right but Ryan Gardner came straight in for O'Brien once he recovered from his elbow surgery early in the season didn't he?

I see Gollant as the perfect Tex replacement when he retires, so no brainer he comes in this week with Tex rested

I couldn't think of a forward as far removed from Tex as Gollant. Lad should be AFL quality, but he's more a Mitch McGovern, if you want an Adelaide equivalent.

Sigh, yet another game watching the ball rebound out of ironhands big mitts.
Gollant, Fog or both need to star.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see it the other way, he'll clunk a few and kick 4 goals tempting the selectors to make Thilthorpe earn his way back into the firsts and pushing Thilthorpes development back a step

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree..

disagree with your very first sentence.

Himmelberg has been absolute garbage in the SANFL the last few weeks he’s played in it.

He’s displayed no “decent form” there at all.

Well there you go, I’d love to know why he has been called up. I hope I’m wrong but he’ll play a shit game this weekend, will be dropped next week and we won’t see him again untill someone else is rested or injured. If he’s “that good” why doesn’t he get called up more. The only reason can be he’s not good enough… if he was he’d be pushing others out.

But hes been bloody average thia year and when we have shat the Bed, hes been a massive player in it all.
Staggering claim. "Bloody average"?
Nonsense.
Walker is equal 6th in the Coleman and our leading goalkicker --- again.

His leadership, organisation, delivery and Goal Assists forward of centre have also been very good.

He doesn’t have the consistency or ability to play afl football. People will disagree with me that’s fine
I've not read a single post in here that loves Himmelberg and is happy he's back.
It's more a sense of resignation. EH is our break-glass-in-emergency bloke.

Thilthorpe out. Break glass. Oh, it's Himmelberg. Wish it wasn't.

I saw Sam Berry probably play his best game as an underager for Gippy Power in near blizzard conditions, laid something like 17 tackles and was clearly B.O.G. in a game in Morwell from memory so he can certainly handle the expected conditions too.
Might make a good sub tactically if Libba is killing us in the middle. Sloane might go to him but Berry a good spare.

I couldn't think of a forward as far removed from Tex as Gollant. Lad should be AFL quality, but he's more a Mitch McGovern, if you want an Adelaide equivalent.
Tex is unique for us..he has absolute footy smarts and knows how to position himself in a contest and really can take strong contested marks. Plus he can roost the ball a damn long way - one of the best field kicks in the AFL.

If Fog was more athletically mobile and had even more footy smarts, he would surely be the long term Tex replacement as he has the strength and the kicking ability. I agree with your McGovern analysis as Gollant is a strong mark and a decent set shot but does not have the presence of Tex or Fogarty. Still, if he can keep improving, he could become a dangerous medium forward for the next 5-10 seasons

Tex out is huge ... But he really needs the management. And it will be better for the team in the long run.

The management have a plan (I hope).. so just trust them.. id back in the others to step up
Yep...
I'm hopeful Milera can harden up this week. Losing Doedee down back lessens our defensive toughness. Smith might have to play a bit more defensively too.

I really am sorry Worrell isn't ready...

After the talk that we've only played the Bulldogs twice in Adelaide over the last decade, I was wondering whether there were large discrepancies the other way

And it turns out there are

Since 2016 we've played GWS 10 times. 8 of those times have been at Adelaide Oval

7 of the last 10 games against Fremantle have been in Adelaide as well

I can see in Gollant a case of the one that got away. He is going to blossom into an absolute A grader. Mark my words, other clubs will be looking very closely at him. The fact that we have a few riches in the tall forward lineup doesn’t mean he should be overlooked.
I am hoping for him to have somewhat of an impact, say a dozen disposals and two or three good quality goals.
Get around him Crows fans or one day he will be putting on the goals for Hawthorn or some other team.

Glad they are giving Tex a rest, but maybe the decision to rest Tex should have been done in the game we knew we were going to lose at a ground we hadn't won at in 20 years?*

Would have been much better to have him for this all important game against the Bulldogs - especially since he was the leading goal kicker in the corresponding fixture last year and even secured the 3 Brownlow votes.

*it isn't hindsight if many were suggesting this very thing before the Geelong game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R10 vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 20, 1.40pm ACST @ Eureka Stadium (Ballarat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back