Preview Changes R14 vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Gallagher provides something the other two can't. The ability to do everything at breaking speed, picking up the ball, bursting through, tackling, chasing, getting back in the defensive space, executing kicks and kicking goals. He has kicked goals by pace alone this year, an ability to arch the back take the game on. Granted he is not there yet and has a lot of improvement, but i don't believe he is getting dropped anytime soon because of the point of difference he offers our team.
If Baker or Poulter come in, its for Daniel who unfortunately does not have a role. He cant play the wing as good as those two (which is saying something).
He's kicked one goal in the last seven games he's played (so he's hardly a goalkicking player...), and been terrible with ball in hand.

Executing kicks? His kicking efficiency is by definition one of the worst in the league. You're just spouting words. What evidence is there that he is anything but a poor kick of the footy at AFL level, let alone "executing kicks"?

Among all full-time midfielders in the competition, his statistical output is ranked 90th of 90 players. And that's including players who are sub (Gallagher hasn't been).

And this is averages across the season - I made the point of saying that his three best games of the season were in the first four rounds. Since then, his form is even worse, so it's strange that he's continuing to be picked.

This is not to be dismissive of his future, to ignore the fact he has attributes others don't have in the team, or does little things. He's performing better than the expectation that a player currently in the VFL team would play should they be in the AFL team, and we also are correct claim those players have futures (obviously). But all of those are just of far more limited value than the general quality of ball use, especially as a player winning a minimal of contested ball, which has been the case in recent games.

Last edited:

The magnet spinner Bevo is going to be up to something. Prob has everyone's faces on a wheel of fortune style board and is spinning it as we speak finalising the team

He's kicked one goal in the last seven games he's played (so he's hardly a goalkicking player...), and been terrible with ball in hand.

Executing kicks? His kicking efficiency is by definition one of the worst in the league. You're just spouting words. What evidence is there that he is anything but a poor kick of the footy at AFL level, let alone "executing kicks"?

Among all full-time midfielders in the competition, his statistical output is ranked 90th of 90 players. And that's including players who are sub (Gallagher hasn't been).

And this is averages across the season - I made the point of saying that his three best games of the season were in the first four rounds. Since then, his form is even worse, so it's strange that he's continuing to be picked.

This is not to be dismissive of his future, to ignore the fact he has attributes others don't have in the team, or does little things. He's performing better than the expectation that a player currently in the VFL team would play should they be in the AFL team, and we also are correct claim those players have futures (obviously). But all of those are just of far more limited value than the general quality of ball use, especially as a player winning a minimal of contested ball, which has been the case in recent games.

Fully agree with your assessment of Gallagher but in a sense I don’t mind getting games into a young highly rated recent draft pick over maybe higher floor lower ceiling older players.

As I’ve said before though Gallagher has been pretty terrible with ball in hand, and we’re trying to give him defensive jobs that have been disasters too. I wouldn’t mind seeing him getting soft-dropped to sub, lightens the load and then gets a bye.

Riding him from round 1 debut to halfway through the season is tough also. Not surprising he’s dropped form so much since the first few rounds.

We rag on Bramble for ball use but it should probably be more accepted that Gallagher is incredibly inefficient relative to basically everyone else in the side (and comp). But we would be banking on the likelihood of that efficiency ticking up as someone of his talent isn’t going to be that bad forever.

Fully agree with your assessment of Gallagher but in a sense I don’t mind getting games into a young highly rated recent draft pick over maybe higher floor lower ceiling older players.

As I’ve said before though Gallagher has been pretty terrible with ball in hand, and we’re trying to give him defensive jobs that have been disasters too. I wouldn’t mind seeing him getting soft-dropped to sub, lightens the load and then gets a bye.

Riding him from round 1 debut to halfway through the season is tough also. Not surprising he’s dropped form so much since the first few rounds.

We rag on Bramble for ball use but it should probably be more accepted that Gallagher is incredibly inefficient relative to basically everyone else in the side (and comp). But we would be banking on the likelihood of that efficiency ticking up as someone of his talent isn’t going to be that bad forever.
Not to disagree, there's a floor to how poor performances can be, otherwise you're going in the cycle of having to claw back the wins you're giving up in the here and now into the future, for something that's not a guarantee.

The fact that Gallagher's statistical output is the literal worst in the competition - including other younger players, players who have been sub etc. - suggests that Gallagher is playing at far below the level that the league typically sets as that floor before they move onto either another young player or just a mature or recycled player that can have the same role.

Not to mention that eventually we will want to see actual improvement out of Gallagher, right? I remember when Lukas Webb was impressive in some of his earliest games for us, relative to other players playing their earliest games. Not only did improvement never come, he actually regressed, and the net overall output of his career was actually below a replacement-level average, ie, we theoretically would have outperformed without Webb had we given his games to whatever recycled type like a Baker at the time etc.

If Gallagher helps us get a win in 2029 or whatever, was it worth it if we lose to Freo and that costs us finals at the end of the year, for instance?

If he’s ansking out and they reckon he might get badly exposed at AFL level then I get not picking him. Whatever trade value he has will disintegrate if he’s demonstrably too slow and unathletic at AFL level.

That being said, I suspect we’re legit hopeful of keeping him and he will play this year. They might give him an easier start via the North game.

If he’s ansking out and they reckon he might get badly exposed at AFL level then I get not picking him. Whatever trade value he has will disintegrate if he’s demonstrably too slow and unathletic at AFL level.

That being said, I suspect we’re legit hopeful of keeping him and he will play this year. They might give him an easier start via the North game.

If he doesn’t play vs North you’d expect they won’t play him unless we get another injury to a key defender.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m done if buss isn’t in.

Already past 5pm in Melbourne on selection day, would have to assume it would have already been announced.

Makes no sense after a solid block of good VFL form & losing a KPD from the last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already past 5pm in Melbourne on selection day, would have to assume it would have already been announced.

Makes no sense after a solid block of good VFL form & losing a KPD from the last game.
Was starting to slowly get back onboard the bevo train , probably not going to play finals but it’s been a pleasure watching him play a few kids and throw a differnt mix of players into the midfield rather then sticking to what wasn’t working . I just feel like it’s time to play buss and would be extremely disappointed if he’s not in which looks likely at this stage

Not wanting to pick a fight with the whole board , cause in a way I think this should be the week !
but if last week was his best game in the VFL, then that’s a low bar.
walking out the gate I was thinking he still has a way to go.

Not sure KH where or who said it was his best game for Footscray

Not sure if it was or wasn’t but I think Buss has been consistently okay at the very least this season at VFL

Whether the above is enough to get a game not sure but don’t think there is much more he can do.

Not wanting to pick a fight with the whole board , cause in a way I think this should be the week !
Having watched him in the majority of games this season, yes he has some way to go given it is his first full season at senior level starting late last season.

In saying that he is far and away better than any of the alternatives at the moment and probably was even when Keath was in.

I haven't watched him at VFL level...

...but yeah. From reading the reports each week it sounds like he's not ready. ??

Just because he's young and there, doesn't mean he should be thrown to the wolves. (Wolfs?)

We do all recall the reaction to Khamis being 'beaten' in round 1, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes R14 vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back