Preview Changes R16 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

One must embrace what ones eyes are having a hard time believing.

I guess like an Echidna having 4 penises, Bevo is a big fan of biological redundancy and what seems like a little overkill.

Peak bevo2_.jpg

Tall is not the issue it is speed to pressure and skill.

Darcy and Naughts are good in the air and on the ground and wind will not be a factor.

Would have preferred to see Buss but can understand why not this time.

Don't get Baker at all, particularly before Garcia.

In saying that I would not just be playing them to keep them, they are not at that level and never may be.

Alot to play out this year but this is one we should win

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely you’d play Buss in defence before any of the tall forwards. Hard to argue he is any less ready than a makeshift defender.

Who knows - Lobb to defense could be a masterstroke, won’t know unless we give a crack. If he plays with the aggression he did against Freo - he could be very serviceable down there.

I understand that Buss may not be ready, but I just hope he has that long term view as well and signs on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can see us playing Lobb in a key defence post for some of the match to see how that might work. I think he is athletic enough to be successful as key defender... but he may not buy in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think there’s zero chance any of the key forwards play in defence. Scott & Daniel are both half forward/wingman so if anything I expect some wing time for Lobb or even Naughton. One (sometimes two) will always be on the bench.

Based on the ins and outs, we haven’t lost a whole heap of pace and ground ball ability. Naughton & Baker are both quick and apply good pressure.

Busslinger was average in the last VFL game. His possession count looked nice, but he got a lot of easy ball and Hamling kicked 4 goals on him. He tends to struggle on leading types as he doesn't have great athleticism and his one on one work needs improvement. Would really like him to show a lot more aggression also. I thought we would give him a taste last game, but I can also understand why he isn't getting games.

As for Baker, he was the standout in the last VFL game and I think it's fair enough he's getting a run. Played in a different role across half back and his foot skills were a heck of a lot better.

I’ve never been a fan of Busslinger and don’t think he’s remotely close to being athletic or strong enough to be a key defender, so I’m not surprised we aren’t playing him. He’d just be a tall slow half back at AFL level. We’d be better off playing Cleary if that’s what we were after.

Busslinger was average in the last VFL game. His possession count looked nice, but he got a lot of easy ball and Hamling kicked 4 goals on him. He tends to struggle on leading types as he doesn't have great athleticism and his one on one work needs improvement. Would really like him to show a lot more aggression also. I thought we would give him a taste last game, but I can also understand why he isn't getting games.

As for Baker, he was the standout in the last VFL game and I think it's fair enough he's getting a run. Played in a different role across half back and his foot skills were a heck of a lot better.
This is a bit doom and gloom but who could we have picked up instead of Buss in his draft year... any good/great defenders that went begging in hindsight?

looks like Norf have anticipated us going tall and have named a super tall backline. Have named Dawson, Pink, Comben who are all tall KPDs and also Corr who is 194cm but can play on mediums too. Doesn't look like they will have a ton of speed + run and carry out of their backline to worry about so much.

I’ve never been a fan of Busslinger and don’t think he’s remotely close to being athletic or strong enough to be a key defender, so I’m not surprised we aren’t playing him. He’d just be a tall slow half back at AFL level. We’d be better off playing Cleary if that’s what we were after.

This is a pretty fair call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back