Preview Changes R17 v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

How can Footscray be sitting on top *of the ladder if these are the next 3 in line?

A guy who's form was middling before getting injured. Again.

And two guys who may as well stay in the revolving door until flung out for good at seasons end.

Edit: apparently 2nd.

My optimism has been inverted.

So Bont will have to carry the backline as well as the mids.

Or... did anyone spot Naughton training with the defenders this week? 🤔

How can Footscray be sitting on top of the ladder if these are the next 3 in line?

A guy who's form was middling before getting injured. Again.

And two guys who may as well stay in the revolving door until flung out for good at seasons end.
I would've thought Harmes and Garcia were next in line to replace Flea with Buss the obvious replacement for Jones given Khamis hasn't shown alot in the role and Coffield only has one game under his belt after a long lay off.

Excited to see Coffield back. I was happy with signing him last off season. Was really good in the 2020 COVID year and think he’ll be valuable as an interceptor in our backline if he can ever get a clean bill of health.

Thought he would’ve had to work a little harder to win a spot back in the team but looking forward to seeing him regardless.

I would've thought Harmes and Garcia were next in line to replace Flea with Buss the obvious replacement for Jones given Khamis hasn't shown alot in the role and Coffield only has one game under his belt after a long lay off.
That's called logical thinking, doesn't happen much with our selections

To be honest. I haven't watched a Footscray game for a few weeks, so can't comment on current form.

But the changes you suggest are the ones that I would've gone with assuming each is fit and ready to play. Having said that somebody claimed this afternoon that Harmes has pulled a hamstring or some such.

I think we've seen enough of McNeil and Khamis to see where their career trajectories are headed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether Jones plays or not is not going to make a huge difference. If Port dominate our midfield and we struggle to create anything forward, we will lose, even with Jones in. Our defence has always relied on our Midfield slowing other teams transitions, and getting back to help out.

The game will be decided in our forward half. If our mids play well, and the forward line functions, we should kick enough points to win. If both of them fail, which has been the main reason for our losses, then it will be tough. Weightman definitely a big blow as our other smalls rarely impact the scoreboard. Will need to create isolated match ups for Naughton and Darcy, both will thrive one on one.

Jesus pretty dire on here tonight.

We have a 207cm mobile intercepter in Lobb, 197cm key defender in O’Donnel and four other versatile talls in Freija (191cm) Williams (190cm) Coffield (191cm) and Buku (191cm). Not to mention English who can sit in a hole and Naughton if things get really weird. We could even throw Darcy back if we needed to change things up.

I get that we love Jonesie but I think our tall options will be fine.

Weightman is the bigger concern, given we have no small forward depth. Garcia is the better player but if we are looking for forward nous to replace Cody, McNeil is probably the best option we have. Especially given Harmes is injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back