Preview Changes R17 v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

From social media looks as though Clarke is one of the travelling emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mate, we all should think before posting. I know you can. If you had thought about it for just 30 seconds, you would have avoided this embarrassment.

1.1 As far as the AFL goes, there's no distinction between amateur/professional nor local/national. The league counts all seasons equally since 1897. Port has nothing to do with it.

1.2 Those SANFL premierships may be alien to the league, but they can't be irrelevant. It's simply impossible. Port is the only traditional club outside Victoria to be accepted in the league. There is no other like us in the AFL. The reason for that are all those premierships. We came in due that history, and we brought it in with us.

Still, that is secondary. What really matters here is the other part. Again, let's check it:

2.1 It has been bloody ELEVEN years. Hinkley's first season was in 2013. He is responsible for every player in our list but one. If the list is bad, it's his fault. If the list isn't bad (and Hinkley said it's the best he has ever had), the lack of results is also his fault. Hinkley is the coach.

2.2 Just a couple of years ago, we were favourites in a PF at home against your mob, and you know the result better than I do. Hinkley was the coach.

2.3 In the last four seasons, Port has finished the Minor Round in the Top-3 THREE times. Even if the list is bad now, it cannot have been the case then. The other clubs with multiple Top-3 seasons in that period were Geelong, Melbourne, and Brisbane (2 times). Cats and Dees have a flag; Lions played in a GF. We have nothing. Hinkley was the coach.

2.4 In the five seasons between 2015 and 2019, Port made Finals only once and lost. Hinkley was the coach.

Now just change Port and Hinkley for Dogs and Beveridge and honestly tell me if that would be fine. If you say it is, I would call you a liar.

It doesn’t matter what league it was they were all local amateur leagues in no way relevant to today. Essendon were a powerhouse in the afl when it was fully professional, it doesn’t give them any advantage or right to being successful today.

Port have never had a premiership list, to get close three times is a great effort. The coach doesn’t draft players and some of Port’s recruits from other clubs have been key players in recent years, which the coach has some say over and has primarily being trying to fill holes from poor drafting.

If Port make the finals this year it would be a great effort given how many holes there are in the team, to the think another coach coming in is the simple fix is delusional.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Jones and Cody out, I'm just not feeling it. Others really have to up their games with those omissions. Bont can't do everything. Hopefully, someone will surprise us tomorrow.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, we all should think before posting. I know you can. If you had thought about it for just 30 seconds, you would have avoided this embarrassment.

1.1 As far as the AFL goes, there's no distinction between amateur/professional nor local/national. The league counts all seasons equally since 1897. Port has nothing to do with it.

1.2 Those SANFL premierships may be alien to the league, but they can't be irrelevant. It's simply impossible. Port is the only traditional club outside Victoria to be accepted in the league. There is no other like us in the AFL. The reason for that are all those premierships. We came in due that history, and we brought it in with us.

Still, that is secondary. What really matters here is the other part. Again, let's check it:

2.1 It has been bloody ELEVEN years. Hinkley's first season was in 2013. He is responsible for every player in our list but one. If the list is bad, it's his fault. If the list isn't bad (and Hinkley said it's the best he has ever had), the lack of results is also his fault. Hinkley is the coach.

2.2 Just a couple of years ago, we were favourites in a PF at home against your mob, and you know the result better than I do. Hinkley was the coach.

2.3 In the last four seasons, Port has finished the Minor Round in the Top-3 THREE times. Even if the list is bad now, it cannot have been the case then. The other clubs with multiple Top-3 seasons in that period were Geelong, Melbourne, and Brisbane (2 times). Cats and Dees have a flag; Lions played in a GF. We have nothing. Hinkley was the coach.

2.4 In the five seasons between 2015 and 2019, Port made Finals only once and lost. Hinkley was the coach.

Now just change Port and Hinkley for Dogs and Beveridge and honestly tell me if that would be fine. If you say it is, I would call you a liar.

GP, we should be united against the common enemy... the Adelai... er, Judean People's Front. 😉

With Jones and Cody out, I'm just not feeling it. Others really have to up their games with those omissions. Bont can't do everything. Hopefully, someone will surprise us tomorrow.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s time for a Jamarra or Naughton type to have a 4 or 5 goal game.

l just cannot understand the selection of McNeill. He regularly gets promoted plays one or two games puts in a shocker then gets dropped. Just about every time you need him to kick a clutch goal from easy set shot he misses and regularly turns it over. The only asset that he has is he is fairly quick but surely a Garcia offers lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l just cannot understand the selection of McNeill. He regularly gets promoted plays one or two games puts in a shocker then gets dropped. Just about every time you need him to kick a clutch goal from easy set shot he misses and regularly turns it over. The only asset that he has is he is fairly quick but surely a Garcia offers lot more.

Always momentum killers

My take is that McNeil and Khamis are on notice in this game: show us what you can do and the result will have a bearing on whether you stay or go. Both have been tried numerous times and have never looked like earning a regular spot.
Time to put up or delist I reckon.

How do they differ from our 9 VFA premierships?

Interesting question. Before joining the VFL, Footscray had 9 VFA premierships:

• Footscray Tricolours (9): 1898-1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24

Footy history is not a simple subject. The VFL challenged the ANFC and won, becoming the entity responsible for the game nationally. That came with a cost — footy got Vic-centric. This must be acknowledged.

The AFL is the VFL expanded. So, the VFL premierships are national, but others are not. So, the SANFL premierships aren’t equivalent to the VFL/AFL ones.

If you read my post again, you will see that I haven’t said anything otherwise. I don’t add the SANFL flags to the AFL flag. They are “alien to the league”.

Hence, I don’t see any difference to be honest. The VFA premierships aren’t equivalent to the AFL either.

I do add the Championship of Australia, though. That would be the proper national equivalent at the time. The VFL’s victory over the ANFC doesn’t change that.

Still, that wasn’t part of the discussion.

It doesn’t matter what league it was they were all local amateur leagues in no way relevant to today. Essendon were a powerhouse in the afl when it was fully professional, it doesn’t give them any advantage or right to being successful today.

Port have never had a premiership list, to get close three times is a great effort. The coach doesn’t draft players and some of Port’s recruits from other clubs have been key players in recent years, which the coach has some say over and has primarily being trying to fill holes from poor drafting.

If Port make the finals this year it would be a great effort given how many holes there are in the team, to the think another coach coming in is the simple fix is delusional.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate, really?

OK. This is a Footscray thread. It’s your home, not mine. I don’t want things getting worse for you. I’ll respectfully back off from commenting any further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back