Changes Required

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a rebuild
This couldn’t be further from reality.

We’re already in the middle of a mini rebuild. The 5 we have to replace are Jones, Lobb, Treloar, Libba & Duryea. The rest of the list is young enough to contribute for the next 3-5 years at least.

I’d argue we might already have replacements for most of these guys with Busslinger, JOD, Croft & Sanders. Another midfield acquisition will be a priority and all of the sudden we can phase out those older guys in a couple of years without having to drop on the ladder.

Firstly the $1.4m is over 3 years, not per year.

Its not just the fans it is the memberships and coterie packages. Some simple back of the envelope calculations.

We have approximately 15,000 reserved seat holder members. These are for 9 games. By making them available for 11 games and increasing the cost per year by approximately $80 per member there is an additional $600,000.

The same goes for approximately 2,500 coterie members. There is an additional $150 per member (BTW this is below the current average). That is an additional $375,000.

Now we have more corporate access and corporate boxes. There is an additional $150,000.

Again these are conservative numbers based on where we stand now not what we may grow.

So I ask you is what we are getting from Ballarat worth more than the minimum $1,125,000 we could be getting from our own supporter base with zero growth. Oh and the additional 4,000 if they are non members is an additional gate for general admission of $120,000 more if they purchase premium seats.

The danger of data being used to support staying in Ballarat is it is past data, not representative of post covid growth across the board growth in crowds and memberships nor does it reflect what has actually been occurring with our club
I agree with all of this, but you need to include several millions to the back of your envelope that went towards new facilities at Whitten Oval. Without getting into bed with the State Government for the Ballarat deal, I doubt the club will have secured project funding in the millions plus adjacent land grants through the rezoning of land.

Rightly or wrongly, playing two games per year in Ballarat has built us new sheds for the boys.

Taking two games away from members (11 down to 9) and then trying to sell us an additional Ballarat memberhsip? I think the club’s dropped the ball there.

No announcement from Keath pre GF.

Surely he's not trying to get another year.

Surprising to me. Maybe waiting until B+F?

Wouldn't make sense to offer him a deal. We've got Jones, Lobb, O'Donnell, Busslinger, Khamis and Gardner contracted to play as KPD and even Coffield who can playas the third tall. Needs a lot of players to be out for Keath to get a gig, would rather use that list spot on getting a mature bodied back up ruck option so we don't have to move Lobb and/or Darcy around to cover an English injury.

Could members have a choice of no merchandise with their membership I wonder how much it is really needed and it could be good for the environment with just one more little item not coming from a Chinese factory polluting the environment
This suggestion was raised on here 20 years ago.

Just make it opt-in via email/website/text - and if anyone 'expects' their 17th members/social club scarf/beanie/lanyard/stickers and doesn't get it, all it takes is a phone call.

10,000-20,000 unwanted 'goodies' boxes over 10-20 years would amount to at least a couple of million bucks, surely.

We’ve probably just told Keath there’s a chance we might want to retain him and to hold tight until after trade period.
Yep, whether or not we want to keep Keath could really just depend on where our draft hand falls and how many list spots we have open, and who gets traded in or out, when it's all said and done.

Some players like Keath and be mature and professional about it, presumably, and understand we're not doing it to dick him around, it's genuine that he could just be on the edge and either keeping him or not, could either/or be the right decision depending on the circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting back to the opening premise, what changes are required to improve next year.

Firstly, I'd say we need to improve our general physical conditioning.
We were pushed around far too much this year, and we didn't run anyone of their legs either.

We need to get some serious trade rewards for the players we are about to lose over the preseason.

In terms of playing stocks, we also need to bring in some more naturally confident and aggressive players. Too many of our players lack self-confidence and seem to have a bit of imposter syndrome.

Lastly, we need to demand more from our fringe\young players when they get games. If they are not capable of contributing more than a handful of nervous possessions, and a bit of space filing running, then they should stay in the VFL until they are capable. We need to put our best team on the park, as often as possible.

Getting back to the opening premise, what changes are required to improve next year.

Firstly, I'd say we need to improve our general physical conditioning.
We were pushed around far too much this year, and we didn't run anyone of their legs either.

We need to get some serious trade rewards for the players we are about to lose over the preseason.

In terms of playing stocks, we also need to bring in some more naturally confident and aggressive players. Too many of our players lack self-confidence and seem to have a bit of imposter syndrome.

Lastly, we need to demand more from our fringe\young players when they get games. If they are not capable of contributing more than a handful of nervous possessions, and a bit of space filing running, then they should stay in the VFL until they are capable. We need to put our best team on the park, as often as possible.
Agree on all of these but three of them are motherhood statements. Every club wants to improve its conditioning / get good rewards for departing players / expect more from its fringe players.

The interesting one is the need for more naturally aggressive players with loads of self-belief. It doesn't mean we must have a bunch of campaigners like the Hawks of the three-peat era, although I wouldn't object to that. If you look at our 2016 premiership side there were a lot of nice guys in that side but some of them also had a hard competitive edge - players like Wood, Bont, Morris, perhaps Roughead. Also the captain Bob Murphy.

But we had some tougher unforgiving types like MBoyd, Libba, CSmith, Cordy, Picken and Dahlhaus.

Does it start and end with the personnel? Or is there a leadership and coaching aspect to it? I want them fired up to run through brick walls. I just don't think that's Bont's style. Or Bevo's. Bevo is more cerebral than fire-in-the-belly. It works sometimes but not every time.

So I agree our list needs a critical mass of those hard men, especially in your top 12 and your older players. Call them alpha males if you like. I don't think we have enough of them right now.

Bont
Libba
Naughton
Weightman sometimes (but he can go missing)
West
Darcy - but not yet he's very young and still finding his way. Maybe in 2025?

Plus a few fringe players like Harmes and Garcia.

That's not enough. Especially when we have to compensate for English tiptoeing through the midfield instead of crashing packs and burying anybody who gets in his way. In most sides the #1 ruckman is your go-to man for aggression and self-belief.

We should always look for these types in the national draft, but draftees first have to win their place in the seniors and it can take years for them to start influencing the rest of the side with their self-belief and aggression. So I reckon we need to look for some of that type in trades as well. Harmes was a good pickup in that regard, even if he's not much more than a fringe player.

I also wonder whether the wise footy heads at the club have an unintended filtering process that sees some of these brash, confident campaigner types slide down their draft order?

One thing is clear: we are brittle and inconsistent. If a side lets us get on the front foot early we are great front runners. But we struggle when the pressure is cranked up, even against lower ranked sides. How often in recent years have we won after being 3 goals down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes Required

Remove this Banner Ad

Back