Prediction Changes: Round 13 Vs Richmond + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see more of Sturt and I think he’s got some tools of real value but I just felt that he looked a slight, scrawny lad out there on Saturday and may not be as strong in the clinches as other players in that position. If possible I’d like to see him get 4 or 5 games in a row to see how he progresses but I’m not sure that will happen.
He should never have been dropped after the Brisbane game and given at least the Hawthorn game to build some consistency.

He's played 8 AFL games over 3 and a half seasons with injuries throughout his first 2 years, he just hasn't had time to build form and consistency at AFL level which leads to drifting in and out of games like he does.

I would like to see more of Sturt and I think he’s got some tools of real value but I just felt that he looked a slight, scrawny lad out there on Saturday and may not be as strong in the clinches as other players in that position. If possible I’d like to see him get 4 or 5 games in a row to see how he progresses but I’m not sure that will happen.

Too small to play a Switkowski style role? Or Walters?

Do you think they are power players?

I don't disagree that Ras works harder, but I do disagree that Ras is fast enough to play as a pressure forward. He's not. He doesn't have to be slow to be too slow for the position that requires the most speed on the ground.

If there is one thing Sturt is doing better whenever I have seen him this year it is closing space on defenders.

Cripps is taller than Darling. Who would you prefer playing forward? (Other than neither because they are both campaigners).
Erasmus's speed is way better in terms of short distance sprinting then you make out. That's the speed pressure forwards need. When he plays midfield he's doing bursts of far longer runs so he isn't running his fastest a lot of the time but when he runs over short distances in situations like spreading from contests he is quick.

Too small to play a Switkowski style role? Or Walters?

Do you think they are power players?
Switta - yes. He’s a bit more like Pickett, and he’s much more explosive than Sturt over the first 5-7m. Switta shrugs off tackles and can change direction at high speed.
Walters gets by on class and footy smarts nowadays. But of course he’s got 220 extra odd games on Sturt.
We haven’t really seen enough of Sturt yet. Is he a good decision maker at AFL level with ball in hand? I don’t know TBH. He’s barely had any consistency to show whether he is or not. 8 fragmented games over 3 years won’t give us a definitive answer yet

Erasmus's speed is way better in terms of short distance sprinting then you make out. That's the speed pressure forwards need. When he plays midfield he's doing bursts of far longer runs so he isn't running his fastest a lot of the time but when he runs over short distances in situations like spreading from contests he is quick.
I just don't agree, he's not fast (for AFL standard) over short or long distances. He's an endurance beast though and works his ass off.
Switta - yes. He’s a bit more like Pickett, and he’s much more explosive than Sturt over the first 5-7m. Switta shrugs off tackles and can change direction at high speed.
Walters gets by on class and footy smarts nowadays. But of course he’s got 220 extra odd games on Sturt.
Switkowski is evasive in the same way as Pickett. He doesn't break through tackles, he avoids them. That's not power.

Walters is smart and evades congestion that way, that's also not power.

So what we have established is that power is not the only way to do it.

We haven’t really seen enough of Sturt yet. Is he a good decision maker at AFL level with ball in hand? I don’t know TBH. He’s barely had any consistency to show whether he is or not. 8 fragmented games over 3 years won’t give us a definitive answer yet
Exactly - this is not an issue of power but opportunity to find out whether he is good enough or not. Glad we agree!

I expect Sturt may be persisted with across the next 18 months since he has tools to be a good player in a good side. He has the tank and discipline to be the poor sucker playing defensive side half forward running up and down with the ball being kicked over his head all day, but the skills and speed to do good things when the ball does come his way.
What is non negotiable though is pressure on the opposition when they have it (he's improved) and splitting his fair share of contests when he is in them (he's not doing that. No strength through the core). Might benefit from playing a few WAFL games on the ball if we don't have space in the 22 for him to practice this.

Switta can't shrug off tackles. He was absolutely monstered and swallowed many times against Melbourne. He avoids tackles with side step and pace. But once tackled he stays tackled. If Sturt is tackled he isn't going to bust many, but he has far more chance of getting the ball out due to his longer limbs.

Sturt is deceptively fast. He ran Switta down from behind in a pre-season scratchie and there's almost nobody in the AFL who has that type of speed. Off the mark might be different to top speed, and while Switta is immensively explosive off the mark, I think you are underestimating Sturt in this regard. His speed and agility is elite.

I expect Sturt may be persisted with across the next 18 months since he has tools to be a good player in a good side. He has the tank and discipline to be the poor sucker playing defensive side half forward running up and down with the ball being kicked over his head all day, but the skills and speed to do good things when the ball does come his way.
What is non negotiable though is pressure on the opposition when they have it (he's improved) and splitting his fair share of contests when he is in them (he's not doing that. No strength through the core). Might benefit from playing a few WAFL games on the ball if we don't have space in the 22 for him to practice this.
I wonder about him on the wing too (at Peel). Probably doesn't have the endurance base for it. I remember Ross tried him there before he got sacked.

I think if he plays midfield, he needs to sit off the contest as I do agree he is a bit undersized to be in packs but could get outside fast and is a good kick (usually).

Sturty needed to pump some iron when he was injured those two years. Just like chappy is now based on a recent pic of him, he seemed to have hit the gym.

Anyone got a pic of Sturt in his first two years as he doesn't seemed to have put much in.

I hope Sturt can come on. Seems decent guy and more the quiet type like amiss.

I wonder about him on the wing too (at Peel). Probably doesn't have the endurance base for it. I remember Ross tried him there before he got sacked.

I think if he plays midfield, he needs to sit off the contest as I do agree he is a bit undersized to be in packs but could get outside fast and is a good kick (usually).
No I mean actually inside mid for Peel so he can practice his techniques for not coughing up the footy under the physical pressure of the contest (either successfully disposing of it or turtling up Jordan Clark style)

No I mean actually inside mid for Peel so he can practice his techniques for not coughing up the footy under the physical pressure of the contest (either successfully disposing of it or turtling up Jordan Clark style)
From memory, somebody here reported that both he and Henry played inside against West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see Walker go back to Peel this week for the bye, he is a work in progress and while he has some good attributes,he also has some glaring deficiencies.Yes he had 3 good weeks but thought he was poor this weekend and needs to keep learning new skills.He can break through packs with quick change of direction but other times lacks awareness and gets caught way to often.Needs a mentor like Roger Hayden to work 1 on 1 .Needs more aggression at opponent and not be to kind .When he just stood off and coralled instead of pressuring the ball carrier in the last quarter it was very poor tactics at a critical time of the game.He is young and has time but in a pressure type scenario he can be a weak link right now.If i wrote the unedited version of this after the siren blew i would have probably been banned,such was the stress levels.I am so much calmer now

Would like to see Walker go back to Peel this week for the bye, he is a work in progress and while he has some good attributes,he also has some glaring deficiencies.Yes he had 3 good weeks but thought he was poor this weekend and needs to keep learning new skills.He can break through packs with quick change of direction but other times lacks awareness and gets caught way to often.Needs a mentor like Roger Hayden to work 1 on 1 .Needs more aggression at opponent and not be to kind .When he just stood off and coralled instead of pressuring the ball carrier in the last quarter it was very poor tactics at a critical time of the game.He is young and has time but in a pressure type scenario he can be a weak link right now.If i wrote the unedited version of this after the siren blew i would have probably been banned,such was the stress levels.I am so much calmer now
Office Space No GIF

Disagree on this one. Walkers an important player and Is well and truly B22 now.
He was marking the games best small forward at the weekend IMO. Pickett will get a hold of much more experienced players than Walker this year.
Need to get Brandon up to 80 games ASAP he’s going to be a gun

Don't mean to pile on ... but Walker's not learning anything playing at Peel, he's learning from occasionally lowering his colours to the Picketts and Charlie Camerons.

Agree, he had 6 GA for Melbourne and Pickett would have won the game for them if we didn’t win in the contest elsewhere. Sure he has potential but he’s too much of a liability. He’s pick 50 for a reason and is very much a project player that needs to be given a role that can show more promise in his attributes and strengths

Agree, he had 6 GA for Melbourne and Pickett would have won the game for them if we didn’t win in the contest elsewhere. Sure he has potential but he’s too much of a liability. He’s pick 50 for a reason and is very much a project player that needs to be given a role that can show more promise in his attributes and strengths
Ok now which player do you think would have done a better job on Pickett? Make sure you take into account speed and agility.

You just need to take a look at Melbourne's autopsy thread to see how frustrated with Picket's game Melbourne supporters were.
Walker apart from getting caught htb on a couple of occasions was good.

Mate I thought Walker had some areas for improvement too, but not drop him and take a potshot at his draft pick sort of "improvement".

Composure and decision making under pressure are good areas for him to work on, as is first touch footy, but who's the next best option?
Wilson? I like him but his strengths lay elsewhere and he's been overtaken by Jordan Clark in particular.

Sturty needed to pump some iron when he was injured those two years. Just like chappy is now based on a recent pic of him, he seemed to have hit the gym.

Anyone got a pic of Sturt in his first two years as he doesn't seemed to have put much in.

I hope Sturt can come on. Seems decent guy and more the quiet type like amiss.
It’s amazing he still has a very boyish build for someone who has been with us for a few seasons.
I would love to see him given a few more games to see if he improves his confidence. I know supporters get disappointed with individuals, but they read our shit, and it doesn’t always help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 13 Vs Richmond + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back