Changes to our round 3 team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course. I couldn't read - apologies.

Someone tell Charmo there's no point taking big marks if you give away a free kick straight after. ;)

I have stated in a previous post that this talk of Charman being a liability through frees against is way overstated and harped on.

I did a study of career stats averages per game - interesting results :-

Fraser... FA..0.96...FF..1.56

Everitt...FA..0.75...FF..0.91

Cox.......FA..0.82...FF..1.60

Hille.......FA..0.76...FF..0.75

Charman.FA..1.70...FF..1.22

King.......FA..1.43...FF..0.95

Jolly.......FA..1.32...FF..1.08

The most interesting comparision there is with King - only .27 of a free against average per game more for Charman but more than balanced by 0.48 of a 'free for' more for Charman - Jolly only beats Charman by 0.14 of a free average per game on the same comparison.......but you don't hear much criticism of King and Jolly about giving frees away - especially by fans of their respective clubs.

Cox and Fraser are the standout 'good guys' on that list but Fraser's advantage doesn't seem to have cost us many games to Collingwood since he came on the scene.

Of course the media have latched on to Charman's willing style of play but I have heard opponents like Luke Darcy commend it - so the odd free given away overall,remembering the ones he gets,is not earth shattering - nowhere near the effect of players missing easy shots for goal whose job it is to kick them for example.

Mountains,molehills,storms,teacups - apart from Leuey,Charmo is the only feather we have to fly with in the genuine and experienced ruck stakes - let's support him and hope he can put injury behind him and regain his best form.

Surprise surprise - Charman is in my team for round 3 with Henderson knocking on the door.... but not a relief ruckman short of dire circumstances - Collier and Clouston will no doubt given consideration.

Maybe it is just that Charman gives away more free kicks in ruck contests and that the others are giving away their free kicks around the ground?

It may also be that Charman is giving away more free kicks in recent years than earlier in his career, and that the statistical mean average is yet to display this change.

King wins hitouts.

Career Averages hitouts per game - King...17.0 - Charman 17.8.

Both these players are in or near the twilight of their careers and nowhere near in career best form - somewhere down the track our succession planning for the ruck division went awry - Wood thought he was way down the pecking order so he rated Charman and where is he now in the Collingwood ratings?.

TBD,we both know it would be great to have one or two guys in the team making Charmo work his butt off to be selected - we have belatedly got a few prospects but they have had set backs and are not ready in any case.

Like I said,we have to go with Charmo for now - or work Leuey long and hard and fill the gaps with part timers who are probably needed elsewhere - Clark went OK last year but I worry about his durability.

We have got ourselves into a fine mess regarding the ruck aspect of the game and just have to grin and bear it for now - trying to be optimistic, I am hoping Charmo can help till things improve.

With Hooper looking to be out for at least a month, is too early to see the rock lobster in action ? Or more likely an opportunity to give Harding an extended run ? Or Sheldon perhaps ?

If that is not true, then Jackson7 should receive a red card. :thumbsdown:

I have just spent 15min looking for any substantiating reports.....

Hugely putting my credibility on the line here, I have heard an inside word. If the mods want to delete the post and maybe re-post inside the between the lions, i am happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have stated in a previous post that this talk of Charman being a liability through frees against is way overstated and harped on.

I did a study of career stats averages per game - interesting results :-

Fraser... FA..0.96...FF..1.56

Everitt...FA..0.75...FF..0.91

Cox.......FA..0.82...FF..1.60

Hille.......FA..0.76...FF..0.75

Charman.FA..1.70...FF..1.22

King.......FA..1.43...FF..0.95

Jolly.......FA..1.32...FF..1.08

The most interesting comparision there is with King - only .27 of a free against average per game more for Charman but more than balanced by 0.48 of a 'free for' more for Charman - Jolly only beats Charman by 0.14 of a free average per game on the same comparison.......but you don't hear much criticism of King and Jolly about giving frees away - especially by fans of their respective clubs.

Cox and Fraser are the standout 'good guys' on that list but Fraser's advantage doesn't seem to have cost us many games to Collingwood since he came on the scene.

Of course the media have latched on to Charman's willing style of play but I have heard opponents like Luke Darcy commend it - so the odd free given away overall,remembering the ones he gets,is not earth shattering - nowhere near the effect of players missing easy shots for goal whose job it is to kick them for example.

Mountains,molehills,storms,teacups - apart from Leuey,Charmo is the only feather we have to fly with in the genuine and experienced ruck stakes - let's support him and hope he can put injury behind him and regain his best form.

Surprise surprise - Charman is in my team for round 3 with Henderson knocking on the door.... but not a relief ruckman short of dire circumstances - Collier and Clouston will no doubt given consideration.
Love your work, Old Den. :thumbsu: Now can someone make sure Warwick reads this ;) Had long suspected that Charmo's free kick count wasn't as bad as it's made out to be. The big fella does win some frees too occasionally but little is made of it. Luke Darcy does sing praises of Charmo, Lynchy too at times. Steve Quartermain says Charmo's his "favourite, favourite player", just as an aside. Ok, more importantly Peter Everitt on retirement, named Charmo his toughest opponent and that's a pretty big wrap I would say.

We should give Charmo a break, with an interrupted pre-season due to injury and surgery,following on from a guelling 2008 too, Charmo just needs more time to settle into the game. He'll come good soon enough.

Hugely putting my credibility on the line here, I have heard an inside word. If the mods want to delete the post and maybe re-post inside the between the lions, i am happy.

I have heard very similar information today:thumbsdown:

Carp :(

Rockliff is our natural replacement, but not sure he's ready after only just resuming from injury.

Guess Harding and Polkinghorne are chances.

For gods sake lets hope Clark is injured, after going to the game on Sat he has officially taken over as the games shittest player. Cant kick for peanuts, is slow as as a wet week, is unfit, and cant take a mark. Send him back to Perth and get a good draft pick from freo!

Proud isnt far behind him, goes everywhere the ball isnt.

Notting is one who always goes in hard, kicks it long and for some reason Voss doesnt like him, surely he is better than Proud!

Notting is one who always goes in hard, kicks it long and for some reason Voss doesnt like him, surely he is better than Proud!

Notting had done nothing to warrant selection over other players and has nothing to do with Voss not liking him. If he was proving himself week-in week-out and not being selected for more than 2 rounds than you may have a point, but at this point in time I think your comment is a bit outlandish.

Notting had done nothing to warrant selection over other players and has nothing to do with Voss not liking him. If he was proving himself week-in week-out and not being selected for more than 2 rounds than you may have a point, but at this point in time I think your comment is a bit outlandish.

What has Proud and Clark done so far? Hooper doesnt turn up to training yet still plays...
Notting apparantly was BOG in the reserves this week so we will see what happens, I can see Notting retiring this year if blokes like Proud, Harding and anyone else who has done nothing get games ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes to our round 3 team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back