Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I saw that from Hoyney. That run does include big wins against north and west coast - would love to know whether those 2 games skewed it a bit.

Regardless, clearly much better with danger back and absolutely brained port in the first final.

Lions should win midfield battle either way but the key isn’t stopping Jezza or Stewart or Danger….its the high half forwards and small forward brigade.

Miers, Dempsey, Close, Mannagh and Stengle all play really high to overwhelm with numbers at the contest and stream back towards goal with run and carry. Number 1 ground ball team in the comp so it suits putting it out in a scrubby way to the smalls and letting them go to work. Lions MUST NOT let them goalside (like opponents do with Charlie) and punish them the other way.

Lions are one of the best uncontested mark sides so kicking boots have to be on.
Gotta make Cats pay early with accuracy or they’ll kill you with pace going the other way.

It won’t be a blowout, this has cracking contest written all over it.
My partner is a Lion and I’m a Cat so banter galore, we’ve had the wood on you in Finals but I also predicted Swans vs Lions in preseason so either way I’d be ok with either result.

Last edited:

Hmmmm.....

Anyone got the footage/write-up? I remember a few incidents but nothing as bad as anything Butters has pulled this year.

Anyone got the footage/write-up? I remember a few incidents but nothing as bad as anything Butters has pulled this year.

Clickbait headline - 2 paragraphs in mentions that it was a hit to the body so will be a fine.

Best bit - no mention of MRO looking at Harris for the Coniglio incident. I don’t think it’s a suspendible offence, but until the mro statement lands I won’t be comfortable.

Clickbait headline - 2 paragraphs in mentions that it was a hit to the body so will be a fine.

Best bit - no mention of MRO looking at Harris for the Coniglio incident. I don’t think it’s a suspendible offence, but until the mro statement lands I won’t be comfortable.
The Harris one worried me. It was a complete accident but just that Harris' elbow was in the vicinity of Coniglio's head/neck and he was on the ground for several minutes before being subbed. His head knock arose from the contact with his teammate's hip and I'd be confident Harris would get off but it's one of those ones where they might make a case.

2 years is a long time but I hope we do everything in the week with our preparation to prevent that from repeating. Sick of losing to Geelong in Prelims, especially by large margins. Think it's been 20 years since we've last beaten the Cats outside of Queensland and also 20 years since we've last beat them in a final.

The Harris one worried me. It was a complete accident but just that Harris' elbow was in the vicinity of Coniglio's head/neck and he was on the ground for several minutes before being subbed. His head knock arose from the contact with his teammate's hip and I'd be confident Harris would get off but it's one of those ones where they might make a case.

Feels like one where he gets cited but gets off at the tribunal.

I read somewhere he broke his face on the teammates hip.

To me looks like Harris collected him in the highest of the back but below the neck.

Last edited:
Lions should win midfield battle either way but the key isn’t stopping Jezza or Stewart or Danger….its the high half forwards and small forward brigade.

Miers, Dempsey, Close, Mannagh and Stengle all play really high to overwhelm with numbers at the contest and stream back towards goal with run and carry. Number 1 ground ball team in the comp so it suits putting it out in a scrubby way to the smalls and letting them go to work. Lions MUST NOT gotta not let them goalside (like opponents do with Charlie) and punish them the other way.

Lions are one of the best uncontested mark sides so kicking boots have to be on.
Gotta make Cats pay early with accuracy or they’ll kill you with pace going the other way.

My partner is a Lion and I’m a Cat so banter galore, we’ve had the wood on you in Finals but I also predicted Swans vs Lions in preseason so either way I’d be ok with either result.

Does Chris Scott intend to name 40 players to keep us guessing as to who will actually play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the same scenario in the prelim 2 years ago and they were white hot. We were flat that night.
My main concern. The win over Melbourne was almost like our GF and we just didn't turn up for Geelong game. Hopefully plenty of learnings (vomit emoji) taken from that and last night is truly out of our system and we're switched on from the first bounce.

Last time we met - we kicked 4.13 in the wet, played the conditions horribly, lost by 26.

On expected score we were down by less than a kick:

Really I feel it’ll come down to whether we can kick straight again. We were accurate when it mattered most last night but it’s still a 50/50 on how we will go next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Miers, Dempsey, Close, Mannagh and Stengle all play really high to overwhelm with numbers at the contest and stream back towards goal with run and carry. Number 1 ground ball team in the comp so it suits putting it out in a scrubby way to the smalls and letting them go to work. Lions MUST NOT gotta not let them goalside (like opponents do with Charlie) and punish them the other way.

The run from Holmes has killed teams this year too. Completely underrated but he provides so much to their team. If he's running off half back or through the middle we need to keep attention on him. Can't let him cut us up

Hmmm, you can only play who is in front of you and Geelong may come out and thrash us down at Kardinia, but their most recent matches have been...

Port (witches hats)
WCE
Saints (loss)
Dockers
Crows
North
Bulldogs (loss, trashed)
Collingwood
Hawthorn (win, thrashed the Hawks) - July 6

So Geelong hasn't beaten anyone in the 8 in the H&A since the start of July. And that was the 7th seed.

Hmmm, you can only play who is in front of you and Geelong may come out and thrash us down at Kardinia, but their most recent matches have been...

Port (witches hats)
WCE
Saints (loss)
Dockers
Crows
North
Bulldogs (loss, trashed)
Collingwood
Hawthorn (win, thrashed the Hawks) - July 6

So Geelong hasn't beaten anyone in the 8 in the H&A since the start of July. And that was the 7th seed.

I don't know Elixuh. GMHBA worries me a lot. If we were playing them somewhere else, I'd be a bit confident - but I don't think we can win down there.

I don't know Elixuh. GMHBA worries me a lot. If we were playing them somewhere else, I'd be a bit confident - but I don't think we can win down there.

If only there was some sort of cricket ground available that could fit a large crowd in...

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back