Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know Elixuh. GMHBA worries me a lot. If we were playing them somewhere else, I'd be a bit confident - but I don't think we can win down there.

Apologies, I copy and pasted this from my post on the mainboard which is 95% serious about their form line but also baiting re them spending decades and billions of dollars of public funds reno'ing the cattery to host finals there. Forgot to amend for the serious discussion and analysis in this thread!

Apologies, I copy and pasted this from my post on the mainboard which is 95% serious about their form line but also baiting re them spending decades and billions of dollars of public funds reno'ing the cattery to host finals there. Forgot to amend for the serious discussion and analysis in this thread!

Poor Geelong, they suffer such a tough fixture having to play finals at their second home ground.

Geelongs clearance differential massively skewed with a +20 domination against Adelaide, the rest of their games in that round 16-24 period were basically a wash when you take that out of consideration.

That said, watching their elim final, they have a few guys with serious pace in the middle which as we all know can be our kryptonite. Watching Bedford go head to head with Neale at every center bounces yesterday was frustrating, he had a free run around the rucka almost every single bounce and it wasn't until McInerny started to turn on we stopped him looking so dangerous.

I thought what really got GWS on top was bringing up all their half forwards and just absolutely clogging up the stoppages. Lester, Starch and Answerth were constantly getting dragged up the ground. The result of which was it became way harder for us to move the ball from congestion (gws hffs setup on Brisbanes offensive side), and then GWS beat us on the spread running back to goal because we still only had one defensive sweeper (usually Berry).

I feel Scott will try a similar thing but will also have the added benefit of a much better intercepter in Stewart (assuming he plays), which was basically how they smashed us 2 years ago.

Will be interesting to see if we try to counter it.

Where we were not able to play our brand of football last night was our kicking game. Let’s be frank, we played horribly for 2 and a bit quarters. Then things did open up. The advantage of playing at the MCG v Giants stadium is it is much wider. This allows our kicking game to come into action. Factors that also fit our run is that it can be a negative to only play 2 games over 4 weeks. It won’t be easy but we are a much better team than 2 years ago. Go Lions!!

Neale regular nemesis Mark O'Connor out for the season. That's a big positive already.

so far we've managed to reverse the home and away season trend in finals.

Carlton - lost OR, won EF
GWS - lost twice in home n away, won SF
Geelong - lost in that wet game which we didn't adjust well, waiting to see what happens in PF

Sounds to me like Neale is cooked. Barely gets near it, doesn’t get a touch in the last, and then Fagan telling us he pretty much doesn’t train. Was watching the last 2 minutes with the game on, he does everything to not go near the contest. He actually doesn’t want the ball in the last quarter he’s that sore.
Gonna be a story either way.

Sounds to me like Neale is cooked. Barely gets near it, doesn’t get a touch in the last, and then Fagan telling us he pretty much doesn’t train. Was watching the last 2 minutes with the game on, he does everything to not go near the contest. He actually doesn’t want the ball in the last quarter he’s that sore.

He was playing a selfless role in the last and had 3 tackles. Was still a big part of the comeback

Or you can believe whatever nonsense you'd like

Tight tag all night.

Just on Lachie.

AFL preliminary finals injury news: Lachie Neale to play through pain against Geelong​

Lachie Neale is in a moon boot due to a debilitating heel issue, with a preliminary final just six days away. JON RALPH provides an update.

Dual Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale is set to fight through the pain of a debilitating heel issue that will require pain-killing injections to suit up in the preliminary final against Geelong.
Neale clutched at his lower leg in the final moments of the dramatic 44-point comeback against Greater Western Sydney but will play against the Cats.

It is understood the issue is a bone-related concern near his heel but he has successfully managed the concern for some months.

So while he was in a moon boot on Sunday and is often hobbling around in the early stages of the week he hasn’t missed a beat despite dealing with the issue for much of the back-end of the season.

Defender Jack Payne had a slow start as he conceded five goals to the brilliant Coleman Medallist Jesse Hogan but had a strong final quarter despite coming into the game with a medial ligament concern.

There is every chance the Lions will go into the contest unchanged given a clean bill of health.

Third forward Logan Morris was subbed out for the second final in a row after another goalless final and was replaced by Conor McKenna, who was excellent in his time on the ground.

The Lions lost a VFL preliminary final against Werribee and while utility Bruce Reville was excellent he came off late, with Brisbane hopeful it was only a hamstring cramp.

He was playing a selfless role in the last and had 3 tackles. Was still a big part of the comeback

Or you can believe whatever nonsense you'd like
I found it really interesting that Fagan brought up in the post match that he's carrying a foot injury and he's in a moonboot today when the prior modus operandi of Fagan has been to treat these sorts of issues like Fort Knox.

We couldn't be foxing could we ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we should drop neale next week.. not pulling his weight, letting the team down. Soft as butter, and we need big man tough energy.. no room for a loser like neale who shirks the contest..

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I found it really interesting that Fagan brought up in the post match that he's carrying a foot injury and he's in a moonboot today when the prior modus operandi of Fagan has been to treat these sorts of issues like Fort Knox.

It's a ploy. Lachie has had a bionic foot for some time.

Yeah hard to know given as you say they’re usually pretty tight lipped with that stuff. Having said that I’ve never seen Fages show that emotion after a game either, so maybe he just let his guard down a little when answering that question too.

You’ll win next weekend. Geelong are an ordinary football side and have been throughout the course of the season. They have the AFL world fooled right now.

They started the season 7-0 despite being largely unconvincing. Their wins were against:
  • St Kilda (they fell over the line at home)
  • Adelaide (eventual 15th placed team)
  • Hawthorn (lost their first five & were in terrible form)
  • North Melbourne (eventual 17th placed team)
  • Bulldogs (slow starters & were calling for Bevo’s head)
  • Brisbane (you know your early season form)
  • Carlton (missing a third of their best 22)

They then lost to:
  • Melbourne (eventual 14th placed team)
  • Gold Coast (eventual 13th placed team)
  • Port Adelaide (at home)
  • GWS (at home)

They then run into my mob at home and very well could’ve lost that game (we fielded one of our worst teams this century and that’s saying a bit). They struggled their way to 8-5.

They then get belted by both Sydney and Carlton. They pull out an unexpected win against Essendon (eventual 11th placed team) when a lot thought the dons were top four material (they weren’t). 9-7.

They beat Hawks when they found some form and Collingwood who never got going this season. Bulldogs then destroy them and they string together shitty wins against Adelaide (5 points) and Fremantle (11 points). 13-8.

They then faced St Kilda (eventual 12th placed team) and lost and then had two bruise free encounters against West Coast and North Melbourne who had both checked out to finish off the season 15-8.

Their double ups were against North Melbourne (17th), West Coast (16th), Adelaide (15th), St Kilda (12th), Carlton (8th) and Bulldogs (7th). That averages out to be double ups against 13th position on the ladder! They’ve had a soft draw, blessed injury run and a lot fall their way.

They ultimately scrape into the top four.

Their win against Port was impressive, I’ll give them credit where it’s due. But you can’t tell me with a straight face the Port Adelaide that rocked up a week ago was the same Port Adelaide that rocked up on Friday. They rolled over when the lead was insurmountable and it blew out. An aberration.

Geelong will have played one game of footy since August 24th. When you guys meet it will be September 21st. Before that, they played two bruise free encounters against North Melbourne and West Coast. Before that they lost to St Kilda. They might be “fresh” but they are not finals hardened like you guys are.

I think you guys are a very good football team who will be brimming with self belief and confidence. You’ve come off a gruelling final where you had to dig deep to win but it shows maturity, grit and character. There is nothing more galvanising for a group than a win on the road, especially a win against a premiership contender in a sudden death final when everyone was writing your obituary.

You’ll have that nothing to lose mentality whilst the hurt from last years GF is still fresh in your minds. You’ll be motivated and you’ll be prepared.

You have everything you need to trouble them. A handful in Daniher up forward. Eric needs a rocket but I have a weird feeling he will play a blinder. Geelong have always struggled to contain pacey small forwards so I’d expect Cameron, Ah Chee and Bailey to cause havoc.

Geelong’s midfield is arguably the worst in the comp on paper. It can be effective at times but they’re up against quality. Neale, McCluggage and Dunkley. Berry is a handy player too. Plus Ashcroft has found his feet. Your midfield will soundly beat theirs and that’s where the game will be won.

They have some firepower up forward but your defence is resilient and Andrews is the best defender in the comp. No problems there.

I wish you guys good luck but you won’t need it. You’ll need it for the following week when you actually run into a fair dinkum football team.

Beat the living hell out of these frauds.

Maybe a few other significant injuries that he did not mention and used Lachie as the patsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back