Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ll win next weekend. Geelong are an ordinary football side and have been throughout the course of the season. They have the AFL world fooled right now.

They started the season 7-0 despite being largely unconvincing. Their wins were against:
  • St Kilda (they fell over the line at home)
  • Adelaide (eventual 15th placed team)
  • Hawthorn (lost their first five & were in terrible form)
  • North Melbourne (eventual 17th placed team)
  • Bulldogs (slow starters & were calling for Bevo’s head)
  • Brisbane (you know your early season form)
  • Carlton (missing a third of their best 22)

They then lost to:
  • Melbourne (eventual 14th placed team)
  • Gold Coast (eventual 13th placed team)
  • Port Adelaide (at home)
  • GWS (at home)

They then run into my mob at home and very well could’ve lost that game (we fielded one of our worst teams this century and that’s saying a bit). They struggled their way to 8-5.

They then get belted by both Sydney and Carlton. They pull out an unexpected win against Essendon (eventual 11th placed team) when a lot thought the dons were top four material (they weren’t). 9-7.

They beat Hawks when they found some form and Collingwood who never got going this season. Bulldogs then destroy them and they string together shitty wins against Adelaide (5 points) and Fremantle (11 points). 13-8.

They then faced St Kilda (eventual 12th placed team) and lost and then had two bruise free encounters against West Coast and North Melbourne who had both checked out to finish off the season 15-8.

Their double ups were against North Melbourne (17th), West Coast (16th), Adelaide (15th), St Kilda (12th), Carlton (8th) and Bulldogs (7th). That averages out to be double ups against 13th position on the ladder! They’ve had a soft draw, blessed injury run and a lot fall their way.

They ultimately scrape into the top four.

Their win against Port was impressive, I’ll give them credit where it’s due. But you can’t tell me with a straight face the Port Adelaide that rocked up a week ago was the same Port Adelaide that rocked up on Friday. They rolled over when the lead was insurmountable and it blew out. An aberration.

Geelong will have played one game of footy since August 24th. When you guys meet it will be September 21st. Before that, they played two bruise free encounters against North Melbourne and West Coast. Before that they lost to St Kilda. They might be “fresh” but they are not finals hardened like you guys are.

I think you guys are a very good football team who will be brimming with self belief and confidence. You’ve come off a gruelling final where you had to dig deep to win but it shows maturity, grit and character. There is nothing more galvanising for a group than a win on the road, especially a win against a premiership contender in a sudden death final when everyone was writing your obituary.

You’ll have that nothing to lose mentality whilst the hurt from last years GF is still fresh in your minds. You’ll be motivated and you’ll be prepared.

You have everything you need to trouble them. A handful in Daniher up forward. Eric needs a rocket but I have a weird feeling he will play a blinder. Geelong have always struggled to contain pacey small forwards so I’d expect Cameron, Ah Chee and Bailey to cause havoc.

Geelong’s midfield is arguably the worst in the comp on paper. It can be effective at times but they’re up against quality. Neale, McCluggage and Dunkley. Berry is a handy player too. Plus Ashcroft has found his feet. Your midfield will soundly beat theirs and that’s where the game will be won.

They have some firepower up forward but your defence is resilient and Andrews is the best defender in the comp. No problems there.

I wish you guys good luck but you won’t need it. You’ll need it for the following week when you actually run into a fair dinkum football team.

Beat the living hell out of these frauds.

Welcome, brother. :')

I see a cats 10 goal win too but I think that’s managing my expectations in case we don’t win. We can absolutely win this game but with our record at the MCG and a fresh cats to compete against it will be tough.
Geelong fans very confident. I actually think we've got their measure. It's just a question as to if we mentally show up at the MCG next week.

Guaranteed GF against an interstate team if we can find a way to get up.

No changes would be nice - anyone know if this would be our first PF under Fagan with no changes from the prior week?
We are certainly not all confident.
Many accept that Lions best is close to the best in it, and that your list is the best.
We come in after 16 days off, and that's a worry regarding any form or momentum we had.
Your team is match hardened, but you may be weary.
If we can be close at halftime, we could be a chance, but who knows how we come out this week.
Preseason, I picked Lions for a GF.
Sadly for me, that may be the outcome, but after 3 consecutive prelims, a flag to Brisbane would be a fitting result if we are not able to win next week.

I'm not reading a lot into our chances this week per se but Saturday night reminded me of the PF win against the Swans in 2003 when we were done like a dinner and totally turned it around.

Wins like that can really galvanise a group as long as too many of them aren't physically cooked.

It's the first time this group has shown genuine mental toughness in a very big game. I know that might be a bit harsh but to me it could do a lot for our belief in ourselves.

Neale is fine to play next week:

It's understood the issue is a bone related concern near his heel but he has successfully managed the concern for some months.
So while he was in a moon boot on Sunday and is often hobbling around in the early stages of the week he hasn't missed a beat despite dealing with the issue for much of the back end of the season.

You’ll win next weekend. Geelong are an ordinary football side and have been throughout the course of the season. They have the AFL world fooled right now.

They started the season 7-0 despite being largely unconvincing. Their wins were against:
  • St Kilda (they fell over the line at home)
  • Adelaide (eventual 15th placed team)
  • Hawthorn (lost their first five & were in terrible form)
  • North Melbourne (eventual 17th placed team)
  • Bulldogs (slow starters & were calling for Bevo’s head)
  • Brisbane (you know your early season form)
  • Carlton (missing a third of their best 22)

They then lost to:
  • Melbourne (eventual 14th placed team)
  • Gold Coast (eventual 13th placed team)
  • Port Adelaide (at home)
  • GWS (at home)

They then run into my mob at home and very well could’ve lost that game (we fielded one of our worst teams this century and that’s saying a bit). They struggled their way to 8-5.

They then get belted by both Sydney and Carlton. They pull out an unexpected win against Essendon (eventual 11th placed team) when a lot thought the dons were top four material (they weren’t). 9-7.

They beat Hawks when they found some form and Collingwood who never got going this season. Bulldogs then destroy them and they string together shitty wins against Adelaide (5 points) and Fremantle (11 points). 13-8.

They then faced St Kilda (eventual 12th placed team) and lost and then had two bruise free encounters against West Coast and North Melbourne who had both checked out to finish off the season 15-8.

Their double ups were against North Melbourne (17th), West Coast (16th), Adelaide (15th), St Kilda (12th), Carlton (8th) and Bulldogs (7th). That averages out to be double ups against 13th position on the ladder! They’ve had a soft draw, blessed injury run and a lot fall their way.

They ultimately scrape into the top four.

Their win against Port was impressive, I’ll give them credit where it’s due. But you can’t tell me with a straight face the Port Adelaide that rocked up a week ago was the same Port Adelaide that rocked up on Friday. They rolled over when the lead was insurmountable and it blew out. An aberration.

Geelong will have played one game of footy since August 24th. When you guys meet it will be September 21st. Before that, they played two bruise free encounters against North Melbourne and West Coast. Before that they lost to St Kilda. They might be “fresh” but they are not finals hardened like you guys are.

I think you guys are a very good football team who will be brimming with self belief and confidence. You’ve come off a gruelling final where you had to dig deep to win but it shows maturity, grit and character. There is nothing more galvanising for a group than a win on the road, especially a win against a premiership contender in a sudden death final when everyone was writing your obituary.

You’ll have that nothing to lose mentality whilst the hurt from last years GF is still fresh in your minds. You’ll be motivated and you’ll be prepared.

You have everything you need to trouble them. A handful in Daniher up forward. Eric needs a rocket but I have a weird feeling he will play a blinder. Geelong have always struggled to contain pacey small forwards so I’d expect Cameron, Ah Chee and Bailey to cause havoc.

Geelong’s midfield is arguably the worst in the comp on paper. It can be effective at times but they’re up against quality. Neale, McCluggage and Dunkley. Berry is a handy player too. Plus Ashcroft has found his feet. Your midfield will soundly beat theirs and that’s where the game will be won.

They have some firepower up forward but your defence is resilient and Andrews is the best defender in the comp. No problems there.

I wish you guys good luck but you won’t need it. You’ll need it for the following week when you actually run into a fair dinkum football team.

Beat the living hell out of these frauds.

I hope your right. But I’m not that confident.

Just on Lachie.

AFL preliminary finals injury news: Lachie Neale to play through pain against Geelong​

Lachie Neale is in a moon boot due to a debilitating heel issue, with a preliminary final just six days away. JON RALPH provides an update.

Dual Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale is set to fight through the pain of a debilitating heel issue that will require pain-killing injections to suit up in the preliminary final against Geelong.
Neale clutched at his lower leg in the final moments of the dramatic 44-point comeback against Greater Western Sydney but will play against the Cats.

It is understood the issue is a bone-related concern near his heel but he has successfully managed the concern for some months.

So while he was in a moon boot on Sunday and is often hobbling around in the early stages of the week he hasn’t missed a beat despite dealing with the issue for much of the back-end of the season.

Defender Jack Payne had a slow start as he conceded five goals to the brilliant Coleman Medallist Jesse Hogan but had a strong final quarter despite coming into the game with a medial ligament concern.

There is every chance the Lions will go into the contest unchanged given a clean bill of health.

Third forward Logan Morris was subbed out for the second final in a row after another goalless final and was replaced by Conor McKenna, who was excellent in his time on the ground.

The Lions lost a VFL preliminary final against Werribee and while utility Bruce Reville was excellent he came off late, with Brisbane hopeful it was only a hamstring cramp.
Re the bolded - second last paragraph - John Ralph, you are a goose. Logan played in only his second final last night on the back of kicking two goals in his first final, so where does "another goalless final" even come into it. Wish I could be as bad at my job as these clown's and get away with it week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We always run into a Geelong side that's white hot in Prelims, we never get to play the flat version of Geelong in finals. I hope we can outrun and outwork them. Really don't want a repeat of 2022. We better be ready this time.
2022 Cats were different. They were the best team that year finishing first 2 games clear and a 14%+ to 2nd placed Melbourne. They are a very good football club but this upcoming Saturday might be between the same two clubs but they certainly are not the same two teams. Go Lions!!

Re the bolded - second last paragraph - John Ralph, you are a goose. Logan played in only his second final last night on the back of kicking two goals in his first final, so where does "another goalless final" even come into it. Wish I could be as bad at my job as these clown's and get away with it week after week.
The article is by Matt Turner, not Ralphy.

There's also this sentence: "Third forward Logan Morris was subbed out for the second final in a row". Payne was subbed off in our game against Carlton because of his knee, Morris wasn't subbed off.

The article is by Matt Turner, not Ralphy.

There's also this sentence: "Third forward Logan Morris was subbed out for the second final in a row". Payne was subbed off in our game against Carlton because of his knee, Morris wasn't subbed off.
See my posting is going about as well as Matt Turner's writing is lol

Dont Laugh Oops GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Remarkably, given he's only been at the club for two seasons, but Josh Dunkley notches up game #50 for the Lions against the Cats; he's made very light work of that milestone.

We have an uncanny habit of turning up flat the next week after an emotionally charged win so that will be our biggest enemy next week. I am hoping we go all out and hit Geelong hard!
I believe it was Leigh who said clubs tend to start like how they finished last quarter. I want to totally subscribe to that idea as a 6.2 would be a pretty good start any day !

Last edited:
He was playing a selfless role in the last and had 3 tackles. Was still a big part of the comeback

Or you can believe whatever nonsense you'd like
Agree - Neal actually said that is his after match interview, in the last qtr he said he play 'less selfishly' and looked at how he could get his 'tag' out of the way of Ashcroft.

Cooked - Well I seem to recall Michael Voss not training for his last couple of year with a knee that blew up after every game.

I thought Breville came off near the end of the 2s final with injured hammy...according to commentators.
He definitely looked not quite right at the end of the game. Could just be "hamstring awareness" though.

Did Zorko go forward when McKenna came on ? Or did he just pop up for 2 goals
I'd swear he started a few centre bounces up there - after his first possession in the forward 50 it looked like McKenna being subbed on had pushed Zorko forward for at least a stint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back