Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last game we got well beaten by the Cats at home in the wet. Score 37-63.
So is there any positives or changes from that game.
We played terrible footy in R6 v Cats, & R7 v Giants. Rounds 1-5 also very inconsistent.

Cats had 18 shots on goal to our 17.

Playing that game: McCarthy, Tunstill, Gardiner & Lyons was sub
Missing that game: Bailey, Ashcroft, Morris & McKenna sub last week. All likely named again

A quick look at the Cats from last meeting
Conway (Ruck) & O'Connor (tagged Lockie) played in R 7 but now injured and both out for the season.
Did not play R 7 but played in Cats QF game: Mannah, Stanley & Neale.

Oscar subbed out in the 2nd quarter with concussion 30% TOG. Jo full time ruck for the last half 97% TOG.
Cats Tom Stewart 46% TOG also subbed out at half time also with concussion.

Lions goalless that day: Daniher, Cameron, Hippy, Gardiner, Lohmann & Ah Chee. No repeat of that, i hope.

If Stewart plays for the cats, please don't do what we did re our last final against them at the G. We allowed him to roam around the half back line on his own and he just controlled things early on when the game was set up. We seem too always, or majority of times allow opposition to play a loose man in our forward line but we can't allow Stewart to play that role if he plays this week.

If Stewart plays for the cats, please don't do what we did re our last final against them at the G. We allowed him to roam around the half back line on his own and he just controlled things early on when the game was set up. We seem too always, or majority of times allow opposition to play a loose man in our forward line but we can't allow Stewart to play that role if he plays this week.

1726491629138.png

i remember two games down at Geelong where we were somewhat handicapped by some umpiring decisions. Give us those and Geelong haven't beaten us down here in home and away for awhile.

I'm wearing my Lions gear today to work (don't work Mondays ). Wore it to the South Melbourne market on Sunday and got lots of "Go Lions" responses. Too wet to have the scarf out the window.

Last game we got well beaten by the Cats at home in the wet. Score 37-63.
So is there any positives or changes from that game.

We played terrible footy in R6 v Cats, & R7 v Giants. Rounds 1-5 also very inconsistent.

Cats had 18 shots on goal to our 17.

Playing that game: McCarthy, Tunstill, Gardiner & Lyons was sub
Missing that game: Bailey, Ashcroft, Morris & McKenna sub last week. All likely named again

A quick look at the Cats from last meeting
Conway (Ruck) & O'Connor (tagged Lockie) played in R 7 but now injured and both out for the season.
Did not play R 7 but played in Cats QF game: Mannah, Stanley & Neale.

Oscar subbed out in the 2nd quarter with concussion 30% TOG. Jo full time ruck for the last half 97% TOG.
Cats Tom Stewart 46% TOG also subbed out at half time also with concussion.

Lions goalless that day: Daniher, Cameron, Hippy, Gardiner, Lohmann & Ah Chee. No repeat of that, i hope.

We tried to play dry weather handball heavy footy and got shown up. Good news - forecast is for a wet Saturday so we have an opportunity to reverse it. We'll be more match fit in those conditions compared to Cats who've played one game in nearly 20+ days. Hope we take it up to them early.

Agree with other posters - no loose man in defense for them, especially if its Stewart. Ah Chee to Stewart early.

It's sometimes said that in finals, you gotta know what your best side looks like.

Outside of probably Linc, the 22 we put out last week is our best side imho.

No changes I reckon.

+ Coleman for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

full
An oldie but a goodie

It's sometimes said that in finals, you gotta know what your best side looks like.

Outside of probably Linc, the 22 we put out last week is our best side imho.

No changes I reckon.
Interestingly, when Ashcroft runs out (levelling with Reville on 12 games for the year), provided there are no other changes, that 23 is the 23 that has played the most games for the Lions in 2023, so you could definitely say that (with the exception of our ACL victims, Linc and Kiddy).

I've got a feeling we will see a special game from Charlie Cameron this Saturday night. 4 goals and a lot of Country Roads

Jessica Stewart [ABC]

Very light day for several Lions players after Sat’s 44 point epic fightback, Lachie Neale already in the sheds after some brief hand-balling, Ashcroft, Payne, Answerth, Hipwood all in joggers & doing run thru’s in the modified group ahead of prelim with Cats

We tried to play dry weather handball heavy footy and got shown up. Good news - forecast is for a wet Saturday so we have an opportunity to reverse it. We'll be more match fit in those conditions compared to Cats who've played one game in nearly 20+ days. Hope we take it up to them early.

Agree with other posters - no loose man in defense for them, especially if its Stewart. Ah Chee to Stewart early.
Would still prefer it to be a dryish game.
Melbourne weather changes from day to day and hour to hour sometimes
Forecast not to bad but need to wait till Friday as it will be more accurate.

Playing in the wet is too much of a gamble in regard to recent form.
I would be less confident of advancing to the GF if it is a wet day.

1726533087566.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back