Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not. We look best defensively with Lester, Payne and Andrews helping each other out. Lester also had some critical plays against GWS, one in particular he moved up to a stoppage, got the clearance and kicked inside 50 which lead to a goal.
We could potentially be a bit tall in defence on Saturday. All the more reason why our midfield pressure will need to be up to scratch to force Geelong into high, ugly hack kicks forwards, favouring Andrews and Payne.

We could potentially be a bit tall in defence on Saturday. All the more reason why our midfield pressure will need to be up to scratch to force Geelong into high, ugly hack kicks forwards, favouring Andrews and Payne.

Plus Henry is quick

I worry if one of their talls is off and Lester has to cover on one of their smalls

Is Tom Stewart that big a threat at clearances that we would send Dunks to him?
I haven't seen every stoppage he's been at but I have seen some clips where he's been quite impactful. He has played some midfield at other stages in his career.

Dunkley is still a decent ball winner even assigned a lock down role so I don't see the harm in it. Certainly matches up well from a body type perspective in my opinion.

I'll find something else if we get to Grand final against Sydney. Like the one below

Fagan in finals :
before semi-win : 13 played 6 wins 7 losses
after semi-win: 14 played 7 wins 7 losses (ledger evened)

before prelim: 3 played 1 win 2 losses
(hopefully) after a prelim win: 4 played 2 wins 2 losses (ledger evened)

grand final: 1 played 0 win 1 loss
even the ledger in grand final too hopefully !
Creative.

I'll pay it! 👏

I've been watching/listening to a lot of preview content and most of it is just spectacularly wrong on basic facts?

Several different ones have mentioned Logan Morris either being 'goalless again' or 'always being subbed out' ... Logan's been subbed out twice this year (against the Dees, last week) and obviously kicked 2.1 in the first final.

Also talk that all our forwards bar Daniher are out of form, which is just incorrect. Eric's down, and Cam was quiet v GWS. Kai and Cal have been consistently good, and Charlie has been kicking goals without getting a bag.

Basically all the commentary has been about what we got wrong in the semi-final, and which of our players have been poor, not at all asking the question of how we managed to win.

I get we've played finals for 6 years and opinions are baked in at this point, but it is striking compared to the reception of how we played last year.
We did have a lot of players down for a lot of the game on Saturday, even in the last quarter and a half.

Which is exciting in a way: huge upside if we are ready to go mentally and physically on Saturday.

We did have a lot of players down for a lot of the game on Saturday, even in the last quarter and a half.

Which is exciting in a way: huge upside if we are ready to go mentally and physically on Saturday.
The GWS players played very disciplined roles and kept our players quiet.
Other than a possible tag on Neale and Zorko I doubt Geelong play quite as tight as GWS did.
So I agree we have massive upside if those players can get a bit of freedom.
The wide expanses of the G will hopefully allow us to play a bit more like we have for the rest of the year albeit with finals like intensity and pressure.

A fully fit🫰 Jack Payne has the pace and agility to play on smaller/medium opponents.
Emphasis on the fully fit part. Hopefully his form from the last quarter against the Giants carries over to this game. It'd also help if our midfield can pressure the ball carrier to a greater degree than they did last week.

Clangerfield is their spiritual leader. He always goes up a few levels in finals and creates chaos through his sheer determination for the contest. I think we have struggled with these types of players in the past so I'd be chucking Dunks on him to keep him out of the game.

Max Holmes probably their most impactful player. Berry to watch close.

Payne might get 5 kicked on him. How brave.

So here we are, Wednesday afternoon, I'm strongly not nervous, not worried, just going about making my final plans for the group of us to be at the Grand Final, most of it I booked after the Suns match just some airport parking to go. Organised with Melbourne mates to catch up, basic plan for each day we are there.

Geelong have the best coaching staff, Chris Scott can wring water out of a stone but they wont be able to cope with the lions early pressure and the flair as the game goes on. I just think the come from behind win, which Fagan has dealt with beautifully saying it's about 'trust' is a motivational factor Mr Chris Scott cant counteract - It's our destiny now to have another crack. Plus we beat GWS with some pretty slack performances from a number of players, they cant possibly go that bad again.

See you all at the Granny.

So here we are, Wednesday afternoon, I'm strongly not nervous, not worried, just going about making my final plans for the group of us to be at the Grand Final, most of it I booked after the Suns match just some airport parking to go. Organised with Melbourne mates to catch up, basic plan for each day we are there.

Geelong have the best coaching staff, Chris Scott can wring water out of a stone but they wont be able to cope with the lions early pressure and the flair as the game goes on. I just think the come from behind win, which Fagan has dealt with beautifully saying it's about 'trust' is a motivational factor Mr Chris Scott cant counteract - It's our destiny now to have another crack. Plus we beat GWS with some pretty slack performances from a number of players, they cant possibly go that bad again.

See you all at the Granny.

It's good we won coming from behind as all the stats point to our style of decent lead in Q1/2 and hang in there for Q3/4. Since we won from one of the most improbable situations, I hope its an added boost to players confidence level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we put Lester as the sub? Someone might have to play tall but could give us some more run
I thought you would be calling for him to be dropped. In the match thread, he dropped a mark and you said that he was “cooked”. Come on Nathan, be consistent.

I haven't seen every stoppage he's been at but I have seen some clips where he's been quite impactful. He has played some midfield at other stages in his career.

Dunkley is still a decent ball winner even assigned a lock down role so I don't see the harm in it. Certainly matches up well from a body type perspective in my opinion.
You are correct. We need to get the matchups right. That said, Geelong will be chasing us all night, because we will have the ball. In defence - Lester to Cameron. Froggy will prevail! Their forward line is way too small. We need to free Andrews up to roam around intercept marking. Payne is the worry, because he is poor below his knees and when the ball is on the deck. Maybe we need to try him on Cameron, but be prepared to swap him out.

Last edited:
I thought you would be calling for him to be dropped. In the match thread, he dropped a mark and you said that he was “cooked”. Come on Nathan, be consistent.

To be fair almost every one of our players was cooked/dropped/traded/a spud in the GD thread. Nek minute they're all super stars!!

Oh David King.

He just again says Lions are the best team again what someone posted earlier. We have 9 first round picks, rattles the names off.

Then says Geelong only has one first round pick; Holmes. Umm, didn’t Danger and Cameron go first round picks for other clubs.

Again just shits on us and showing examples where got it wrong. Doesn’t show plays we do well or show Cats plays that are poor.

Yep, like someone eloquently posted on our board earlier about King, he’s setting himself up to say he got it right.

Even Robbo said to King he’s got a vendetta against Fages and he argues he doesn’t. King has looked a fool tonight.

Clangerfield is their spiritual leader. He always goes up a few levels in finals and creates chaos through his sheer determination for the contest. I think we have struggled with these types of players in the past so I'd be chucking Dunks on him to keep him out of the game.

Max Holmes probably their most impactful player. Berry to watch close.

Payne might get 5 kicked on him. How brave.

IMG_4465.jpeg

I don't care too much for any validation from anyone - I go with statements from people I admire, and 2 people have said things which I keep returning to.

The first is Leigh Matthews, who iirc, inherited the saying from John Kennedy back in the day....that you often start next game how you finished the last one. Matthews took that statement with him from playing and into coaching.

The second is far more recently, Monday night in fact, from Browny. He spoke of how the Lions side of the threepeat era had belief in spades, nevermind they had talented personnel....it was the belief which he recalled.

I match those 2 things together in my head.

I genuinely feel that this season, we have found belief. And we finished full of confidence in the SF. Even though I wasn't in the GD thread (because I just can't handle the gnashing negativity when we start losing a game), I never once thought we were going to lose.

But then, my earlier incarnation on BF was always the last one to stop believing in a GD thread, so that's not really a surprise.

We can beat anyone, any day, any time, anywhere - and we've shown that this year, more so than the last few years.

Let's roll, Lions. We owe these guys a bloody nose.

Umm, didn’t Danger and Cameron go first round picks for other clubs.
Danger was but Jeremy was a prelisting, not a first round pick.

Got traded for three though.

You are correct. We need to get the matchups right. That said, Geelong will be chasing us all night, because we will have the ball. In defence - Lester to Cameron. Froggy will prevail! Their forward line is way too small. We need to free Andrews up to roam around intercept marking. Payne is the worry, because he is poor below his knees and when the ball is on the deck. Maybe we need to try him on Cameron, but be prepared to swap him out.

Why wouldn't he go to Neale (Geel version)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back