Prediction Changes v Gold Coast ( Round 15 )

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe the answer lies in what other teams used to do to Fyfe? There was often double team efforts on him, so maybe we should be trying this on guys like the Bont? The issue is that then the guys on the outside get free.
This is what JL alluded to in as the issue trying tag bonty which they tried

Would prefer neither atm. Not sure we have a lot to chose from in that role. Possibly Jaeger forward , Brayshaw wing. We are too slow in the midfield.
Don't get me wrong: I'd like us to change up from the status quo - I don't think any of the options are amazing and if anything it seems like a good time to bring a new face in to remind players that bad performances get punished. Coming off a game where JL said it was a team that was desperate (them) against a team that was comfortable (us). Got Gold Coast at home next . On paper should be a fixture where no matter what changes we make we should win coz Gold Coast suck away and are coming off the bye.

But if I'm being realistic, we're gonna see Johnson/Emmett for Walters, Chapman in for Worner if they were telling the truth about it being precautionary, and maybe Wagner gets the sub role back. The only other change that could happen is Davies for Draper, but I think even that's unlikely.

We got absolutely smashed in the centre and we didn't change anything.

None of Switkowski, Clark, Jackson, Banfield made an attendance as a mid and O'Meara made only 1 despite all having brief cameos at centre bounce this season.

I hope we at least change up that for the next game - particularly if it isn't working.

None of Switkowski, Clark, Jackson, Banfield made an attendance as a mid and O'Meara made only 1 despite all having brief cameos at centre bounce this season.

I hope we at least change up that for the next game - particularly if it isn't working.
Yeh. Particularly when the game was done and dusted. Could of tried something out of the box as perhaps may unearth something for next time

That last few minutes of the game they just waltzed it out the middle and piled on those 3 or 4 goals at the end because of it

But we won centre clearances 17 to 15, the only quarter we lost was the 2nd, 2 to 3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If our issue is being beaten in the middle then we’ve got to bring Brodie back in. Brayshaw can spend more time on the opposite wing to Sharp with Banners/Freddy and anyone else who was on that wing pushing forward to cover Walters position.

What is Brodie doing wrong? Why does he not get a look from Longmuir? He was playing great in 22 then he is dropped to the wafl .Am i wrong on thinking he is currently a better mid than MJ
Lots of things for Brodie to work on, but the main two in my opinion:
  1. Defensively he is suspect at WAFL level and is getting exposed at times; and
  2. Disposal by foot is suspect; the reality is if he is replacing Johnson then he will spend only a small amount of time in the centre square, which means his primary disposal should be disposal by foot - ATM Brodie's kicks are being picked off at WAFL level (they often have a lot of hang time) and his shots on goals whether set shot or on the run are too inconsistent.
In his defence he is clearly looking to work on some of this and they have this year had him stationed at half forward to give him the chance to demonstrate that he is capable of being good enough on the outside; for example he has been kicking where previously he would have just shot out a handpass. Some games he has looked better in these areas, only to revert back the next week.

I think Johnson (and even Erasmus) is better than Brodie at the moment, even though I think Johnson has a heap of improvement to do.

Someone rang up on the radio tonight to blame Neil Erasmus and his disposal for this weekend's loss (by nature of the fact that he was playing for Peel and not Freo), but in the process Spurr pointed out something that is relevant to both he and Brodie; although both get lots of disposals at WAFL level, many of the types of disposals that they get are not going to be possible to get at AFL level because of the position as to where they get them and the difference in quality of the opposition. He concluded that therefore we need to be very careful about looking at those stats and making a judgement.

Spurr went on to say that in his opinion Erasmus' best chance of playing AFL would be to play as a winger, given his exceptional endurance, but he needs to be able to have tidy enough disposal. He then went on to compare him to Ed Langdon, and said that Ross Lyon's nickname for Ed was Ricochet Rabbit and was always saying he needed to get to a certain level of disposal.

If our issue is being beaten in the middle then we’ve got to bring Brodie back in. Brayshaw can spend more time on the opposite wing to Sharp with Banners/Freddy and anyone else who was on that wing pushing forward to cover Walters position.

It is the contest we are being beaten at; as FreoMatt points out not the clearances. The very rings being run around our midfield Brodie would only make that worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of things for Brodie to work on, but the main two in my opinion:
  1. Defensively he is suspect at WAFL level and is getting exposed at times; and
  2. Disposal by foot is suspect; the reality is if he is replacing Johnson then he will spend only a small amount of time in the centre square, which means his primary disposal should be disposal by foot - ATM Brodie's kicks are being picked off at WAFL level (they often have a lot of hang time) and his shots on goals whether set shot or on the run are too inconsistent.
In his defence he is clearly looking to work on some of this and they have this year had him stationed at half forward to give him the chance to demonstrate that he is capable of being good enough on the outside; for example he has been kicking where previously he would have just shot out a handpass. Some games he has looked better in these areas, only to revert back the next week.

I think Johnson (and even Erasmus) is better than Brodie at the moment, even though I think Johnson has a heap of improvement to do.

Someone rang up on the radio tonight to blame Neil Erasmus and his disposal for this weekend's loss (by nature of the fact that he was playing for Peel and not Freo), but in the process Spurr pointed out something that is relevant to both he and Brodie; although both get lots of disposals at WAFL level, many of the types of disposals that they get are not going to be possible to get at AFL level because of the position as to where they get them and the difference in quality of the opposition. He concluded that therefore we need to be very careful about looking at those stats and making a judgement.

Spurr went on to say that in his opinion Erasmus' best chance of playing AFL would be to play as a winger, given his exceptional endurance, but he needs to be able to have tidy enough disposal. He then went on to compare him to Ed Langdon, and said that Ross Lyon's nickname for Ed was Ricochet Rabbit and was always saying he needed to get to a certain level of disposal.
I wrote a whole speel but decided to delete it. All I will say is I disagree and while Brodie isn't perfect nor are Fyfe Serong and Brayshaw but for some reason their flaws don't count. If I hadn't have seen 2022 I may have paid a little more attention to this post.

To be honest even in 2022 Brodie really tapered off in the second half of the year. People have rose coloured glasses remembering his first dozen or so games for us and forgetting that he was nowhere near that level later in the year (I'll admit, he played ok against Collingwood in that dismal final).

That's the thing with AFL, your weaknesses get found out quickly, he was virtually like a mature age draftee at the start of that year, he'd been in the system but no one knew about him and we sprung a surprise on a few teams. But then reality hit.

To be honest even in 2022 Brodie really tapered off in the second half of the year. People have rose coloured glasses remembering his first dozen or so games for us and forgetting that he was nowhere near that level later in the year (I'll admit, he played ok against Collingwood in that dismal final).

That's the thing with AFL, your weaknesses get found out quickly, he was virtually like a mature age draftee at the start of that year, he'd been in the system but no one knew about him and we sprung a surprise on a few teams. But then reality hit.
But when Brayshaw and Serong drop off it doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind people discussing the limitations of those two as often as they bring up Brodies. When we get wiped in the midfield the fault is Fyfe or Jaeger if you read anything on here. Never Brayshaw or Serong. Total bogus.

But when Brayshaw and Serong drop off it doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind people discussing the limitations of those two as often as they bring up Brodies. When we get wiped in the midfield the fault is Fyfe or Jaeger if you read anything on here. Never Brayshaw or Serong. Total bogus.
The limitations are pretty well discussed, they are not big guys and their disposals aren't overly damaging. But what they do is work hard both ways which is vital for the game plan we play.
Brodie is bigger but doesn't have the tank to work like that so is not a realistic replacement for either, unless the game plan changes significantly

Please don't get me wrong Apuchar - Brayshaw (in particular) and Serong ARE in my mind hugely part of the current issue when we get wiped at AFL level.

It is just that when I see Brodie getting smashed in the same way with respect to the contest but it is WAFL level I feel I can see why the selectors don't do the swap. I am also conscious that Mundy, Neale and Fyfe also used to get wiped in the same way, so in a sense I think it is not only to do with the midfield...

I feel like this comparison falls flat when you see them as sprinters: while they both have high level endurance, Ed is an exceptional sprinter, Neil a fairly poor one who's slow off the mark. And unlike explosiveness over a few metres (where I think there's a lot of examples of players greatly improving in that area, and what Neil should focus on and said he's working on), I can't think of examples of players who went from poor sprinters to good sprinters.

Now that we have Sharp, Raz can probably look at playing a wing role similar to how Banfield is, who also isn't a high level sprinter. But you'd imagine wing or fwd would be viewed as secondary roles to try to round out his game. Inside mid at AFL level has to be the long term goal: anything else would just be a position he can get his break in.

It is the contest we are being beaten at; as FreoMatt points out not the clearances. The very rings being run around our midfield Brodie would only make that worse.

Agree just as an example we were beaten 93 to 75 for ground ball gets. Obviously not all are contested but many are

I honestly couldn't give a shit what happens at the selection table anymore. Mainly because whether we win or lose is mostly up to the opposition. If they come to play with a defensive pressure game we will lose. It doesn't matter who is out there for us, and it doesn't even make much difference whether the opposition is any good. Even shit teams can beat us if they're on defensively.

Suns are flaky as **** so I reckon we'll be right on Sunday, but if their midfield has intent we're in strife.

Out: Walters, Worner
In: Wagner, Chapman
Banfield will roll into the forward line, MJ into the wing, Wagner to Sub.
Worner for Chapman is just a like for like replacement.

I would like to see Brodie in for JOM and Davies in for Draper, but it won’t happen.

No one in our defence was able to get anywhere near JUH on the weekend, we tried all of Draper, Pearce and Ryan, he out positioned/ran all of them.

Disappointed we moved Draper onto Lob, he was too slight, should have kept Pearce on Lob the whole game to keep at least one of their talls quiet.

I think you're right about Brodie tapering off. But that doesn't mean if he is continuing to knock em dead at WAFL level he shouldn't be given another chance - he's been in the magoos for a long time. Its not like every single week we don't have people bemoaning several of our players and wishing they were dropped - and not without some justification. Good, consistent performances should be rewarded, repeat substandard ones deserve relegation. At least give it a crack.

I hope the side are irritated by that performance long enough to last out the rest of the season. After riding into the wave as superstars destroying Melbourne away by 15 goals they might have gotten ahead of themselves and needed to be reminded like the Eagles game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back