Unofficial Preview Changes V GWS Rd 2, '18 - Scharenberg and Callum Brown in, Cox and Smith out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were arguing against a youth first policy. Which generally comes at the expense of experienced or senior bodied role players.

Nothing wrong with your last line in general but it really depends on where you see the list and your definition of form.

Which was my point re Daicos vs Stephenson, people were more then happy to not give him games early last year where his form was not worse then Stephensons this year.

Each year your focus will be different, when your team is on the rise then form should be the dictator, when it is flat-lined or trending down a more youth policy should be applied to expediate them to the 50 game mark, sometimes you will have to ignore form to give them consistency or a look in!

Certainly senior players often have form ignored in retaining their roles just because Buckley knows they will bring "effort".

Brilliant post Loki.

AFL
No Moore change says Howe
By SEN 16 hours ago
Darcy_Moore_defence.jpg

Collingwood defender Jeremy Howe expects to have Darcy Moore alongside him for Saturday’s clash against Greater Western Sydney, despite the suspension to Mason Cox.

The 22-year-old has made the switch from attack to defence in 2018, but did spend a quarter in the forward line, as Collingwood tried to mount a comeback in Saturday night’s defeat to Hawthorn.

“Darcy will get every opportunity to maintain his position at centre half back,” Howe told SEN’s Time On with Sam McClure.

“I think that’s where he’s been training all summer, and training extremely well, and I think that’s where he will be staying. Definitely in the short term I can’t see him playing anywhere else.

“He does provide obviously something up forward, and he’s proven, but at the moment I see him playing as that intercept centre half back.”

Cox will miss the Giants encounter after copping a one-week suspension for a high bump on Hawks midfielder Daniel Howe, however Pies coach Nathan Buckley said the American will get an immediate recall for their Round 3 Friday night blockbuster against Carlton.

Howe says while the 211-cm Cox is still a work in progress, his performances during the JLT Series showed he will play a key role in 2018.

“He’s still a work in progress, and to his credit he works extremely hard at his craft,” he said.

“Brodie Grundy’s been working extremely hard with him in the ruck, but as a forward he is progressing well, and he has got the credits to come back in.

“It’s not going to be just a one hit wonder.

This!..

Carlton played 9 players under 30 games experience which were 23 years or younger and took it up to the premiers.

We played 4 players under 30 games experience who are 23 years or younger and got completely outplayed by a bottom 8 team.

I want to see 18-22 games out of:

Scharenberg
Stephenson
Murray
Wills

and 10-15 games from:

Brown
Daicos
Crocker

and 5-10 games from:

Kirby
McLarty
Sier
Murphy

Recognise we are no finals threat and put a plan in place to give this group of players the exposure they need so that we can hit the ground running in 2019.

But instead we'll get Blair and Mayne as the IN's this round.

Ed would not let that Happen as it makes it Look like his Decision to Hire Bucks was a Mistake

AFL
No Moore change says Howe
By SEN 16 hours ago
Darcy_Moore_defence.jpg

Collingwood defender Jeremy Howe expects to have Darcy Moore alongside him for Saturday’s clash against Greater Western Sydney, despite the suspension to Mason Cox.

The 22-year-old has made the switch from attack to defence in 2018, but did spend a quarter in the forward line, as Collingwood tried to mount a comeback in Saturday night’s defeat to Hawthorn.

“Darcy will get every opportunity to maintain his position at centre half back,” Howe told SEN’s Time On with Sam McClure.

“I think that’s where he’s been training all summer, and training extremely well, and I think that’s where he will be staying. Definitely in the short term I can’t see him playing anywhere else.

“He does provide obviously something up forward, and he’s proven, but at the moment I see him playing as that intercept centre half back.”

Cox will miss the Giants encounter after copping a one-week suspension for a high bump on Hawks midfielder Daniel Howe, however Pies coach Nathan Buckley said the American will get an immediate recall for their Round 3 Friday night blockbuster against Carlton.

Howe says while the 211-cm Cox is still a work in progress, his performances during the JLT Series showed he will play a key role in 2018.

“He’s still a work in progress, and to his credit he works extremely hard at his craft,” he said.

“Brodie Grundy’s been working extremely hard with him in the ruck, but as a forward he is progressing well, and he has got the credits to come back in.

“It’s not going to be just a one hit wonder.

So we are going to try and keep GWS under 50 Points?

Bloody Buckley just on SEN dribbling out cliches like usual.

Seems like all is lost in relation to actually bringing in youth.

In response to a caller asking for as much, his response was that the supporters need to have faith that the coaches have better visibility as to whether a player is ready or not.... And we have to trust them!!!

Sounds like Mayne is a certainty this week as he wants vfl form and attitude rewarded

This what I feel like when Listening to Bucks:

giphy.gif

This!..

Carlton played 9 players under 30 games experience which were 23 years or younger and took it up to the premiers.

We played 4 players under 30 games experience who are 23 years or younger and got completely outplayed by a bottom 8 team.

I want to see 18-22 games out of:

Scharenberg
Stephenson
Murray
Wills

and 10-15 games from:

Brown
Daicos
Crocker

and 5-10 games from:

Kirby
McLarty
Sier
Murphy

Recognise we are no finals threat and put a plan in place to give this group of players the exposure they need so that we can hit the ground running in 2019.

But instead we'll get Blair and Mayne as the IN's this round.

spot on

According to Bucks, he needs more practice before he can be called upon when it looks he would be quite happy with a serviceable performance from the likes of Mayne/Blair. I've said it before and I will say it again, Bucks isn't a reactive coach, he picks his sides based on blokes he can rely to do a role.

Dunn said in his press conference against Hawthorn, there are not many blokes who can say they played their role, and the coach sends these messages to his leaders we are not picking players without exposed role player capability.

Mayne understands the cut and thrust of playing for your career, unfortunately he needs to prove it at the top level in a game where there is so much at stake, but he knows he needs to perform his role because his opportunity will become limited.

Yeah I heard him say that but its a subjective thing. Fasolo is an A grader and if he is good enough to play a full game of VFL, be acknowledged to have played well and committed himself well then he should be straight in.

Instead what we get is Buckley going back to the 'well' with blokes who have been tried and have failed many times in deference to playing youth.

Yeah I heard him say that but its a subjective thing. Fasolo is an A grader and if he is good enough to play a full game of VFL, be acknowledged to have played well and committed himself well then he should be straight in.

Instead what we get is Buckley going back to the 'well' with blokes who have been tried and have failed many times in deference to playing youth.

Bucks is Destroying the Player List and Footy Department and Sending us more and more Backwards

Bloody Buckley just on SEN dribbling out cliches like usual.

Seems like all is lost in relation to actually bringing in youth.

In response to a caller asking for as much, his response was that the supporters need to have faith that the coaches have better visibility as to whether a player is ready or not.... And we have to trust them!!!

Sounds like Mayne is a certainty this week as he wants vfl form and attitude rewarded

i just dont think he understands how playing Mayne and Blair will look if we go down on Saturday. He is making a big bet.

Lose and he should expect to be asked a lot of questions as to why continually goes back and plays Mayne and Blair rather than playing kids who when have had a chance have shown a bit.

With JDG / Elliott, Fas / Wells and Co back in next few weeks give a few of the younger kids a 'lick of the ice cream' and see how they go. Get more out of that than playing 2 blokes who are list fillers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just dont think he understands how playing Mayne and Blair will look if we go down on Saturday. He is making a big bet.

Lose and he should expect to be asked a lot of questions as to why continually goes back and plays Mayne and Blair rather than playing kids who when have had a chance have shown a bit.

With JDG / Elliott, Fas / Wells and Co back in next few weeks give a few of the younger kids a 'lick of the ice cream' and see how they go. Get more out of that than playing 2 blokes who are list fillers.

Bucks loves his List Cloggers in Blair and Sadly Mayne got a Stupidly Large Contract so I guess they hope Mayne can come in a show why we/Gubby gave him that Stupid Contract.

Playing Kids give the Fans something to be Excited with even when we are Losing

Mayne will play if he deserves it: Buckley

By SEN an hour ago

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says preconceived ideas about Chris Mayne won’t have an influence on his selection status throughout 2018.

Despite the former Docker having a disappointing first season with the Magpies, he amassed 35 possessions in a VFL practice match last weekend, and Buckley is going to reward current form over past letdowns.

“He’s on our list, and if he’s playing great footy, and if he’s playing football that is going to help us win, (then you pick him),” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“More so for the integrity of selection, if he’s the best VFL player at that time, and there’s the opportunity in his role to come up in the senior side and you don’t pick him, what does it say to the rest of the playing group about form at VFL level, or attitude in your training?

“Chris has been first class this pre-season, and has really bounced back from what he would and we would say was a disappointing year last year.”

Even though some Magpie supporters want to see younger players earn a spot over the 29-year-old Mayne, Buckley understands the danger of playing kids before they’re ready.

“These young blokes will come through when they’re ready, and you’ll see them when they’re ready, and not before,” he said.

“We’re not going to throw them to the wolves beforehand.”

If Mayne plays this week against Greater Western Sydney, it’ll be his first senior game since Round 3 last year.

Jarryd Blair and Tim Broomhead also loom as possible selections in a small forward role, as Collingwood seeks to improve on a nine-goal return in last week’s loss to Hawthorn

Dont agree with this defeatist attitude after just one round. Best 22 needs to be picked....with a youth preference when theres a line ball decision. But the youth has to show evidence of form and not just selected based on their birth certificate.
I am not that defeatist, now just don’t see the point of playing people that will not be here next year unless major injury strikes, we know what they bring, yet there are a few youngsters we don’t know but look promising. It seems their form is good like sier, so play him nothing to lose, and a bit to gain.
I am a fan of Blair, but will he be a difference maker to the team, no, but sier could in the long run.

Just saw this on Facebook. Gosh i dont know, maybe we can get a player who is able to mark the ball. He makes it out as if he actually contibuted last game. His suspension isn't much of an absence, more of a release of burden on us. Ridiculous. Screenshot_2018-03-28-14-51-05-35.jpg

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

McLarty has been MIA for 2 weeks. Injured??
When you can't kick a winning score, it doesn't matter if your def is able to keep them under 85 points each week (like last year).
Moore was back vs Hawks and in good form, did not help one bit.
Immediate impact up forward, if you are scoring it's hard for the opposition to dictate terms and gives your team confidence in everything it does.

If we are going to lose I would rather us lose trying to "win the game" through attacking play and set up, rather then try "save the game" through defensive grind!

Who cares if he has had 2 months training as a def, he has had 2 years training as a forward!

He hasn't proved to be a big goal kicker to date though outside a handful of matches.

That might change this season but most likely if played forward he'll kick his 1 or 2 while Patton or Cameron down the other end who are more proven threats will get off the leash with only an undersized Dunn or Howe to stand them.

If we want to play Moore forward then Mihocek or McLarty need to come in to take his defensive spot.

Ed would not let that Happen as it makes it Look like his Decision to Hire Bucks was a Mistake
Ed has no say in that stuff.
He says too much, but not that stuff

I'm all for rewarding form but surely Mayne needs more form than a single VFL practice match.

He'll play this weekend though by the sounds of Buckley. Massive gamble not only for the match but also for Buckleys career.

What I don't understand is why is Buckley willing to play Mayne after one 35 possession game in a VFL practice match, yet Fasolo also got 35 possessions in the same game, and apparently he is not ready.

It is rather obvious that Fasolo is a far greater forward threat then Mayne. if Buckley cannot see this, then I suspect his greatest weakness might be judging football talent....

Mayne will play if he deserves it: Buckley
By SEN an hour ago

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says preconceived ideas about Chris Mayne won’t have an influence on his selection status throughout 2018.

Despite the former Docker having a disappointing first season with the Magpies, he amassed 35 possessions in a VFL practice match last weekend, and Buckley is going to reward current form over past letdowns.

“He’s on our list, and if he’s playing great footy, and if he’s playing football that is going to help us win, (then you pick him),” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“More so for the integrity of selection, if he’s the best VFL player at that time, and there’s the opportunity in his role to come up in the senior side and you don’t pick him, what does it say to the rest of the playing group about form at VFL level, or attitude in your training?

“Chris has been first class this pre-season, and has really bounced back from what he would and we would say was a disappointing year last year.”

Even though some Magpie supporters want to see younger players earn a spot over the 29-year-old Mayne, Buckley understands the danger of playing kids before they’re ready.

“These young blokes will come through when they’re ready, and you’ll see them when they’re ready, and not before,” he said.

“We’re not going to throw them to the wolves beforehand.”

If Mayne plays this week against Greater Western Sydney, it’ll be his first senior game since Round 3 last year.

Jarryd Blair and Tim Broomhead also loom as possible selections in a small forward role, as Collingwood seeks to improve on a nine-goal return in last week’s loss to Hawthorn

Nice of Bucks to not unleash our youngster's.. opting to play them in the reserves.. they'll be tearing at the bit to get out there when our new coach is announced.

That's glass half full shit right there re.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back