Prediction Changes v Hawthorn (Round 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I am just gonna say it. I thought Draper copped it square in the balls tbh and should be fine?

He got it just inside the hip bone I reckon..in that nice adductor area or hip flexor.

He’s going to have an absolute ball getting that one rubbed out…

Corks hurt like a bastard

Pretty sure Vossy spent some time in the ruck at Peel today. Might be preferable to taking Treacy out of the forwardline when Jackson is resting, if they go that way. I.e Jackson ruck. Justin did mention Reidy and Tabs and Voss as possible options.

Pretty sure Vossy spent some time in the ruck at Peel today. Might be preferable to taking Treacy out of the forwardline when Jackson is resting, if they go that way. I.e Jackson ruck. Justin did mention Reidy and Tabs and Voss as possible options.
can you imagine the outcry if Tabs gets selected? was pleased to see him get a few goals at Peel

Treacy has been great as a ruck/fwd

He scored most of his goals early season in that position, I specifically remember the Richmond game when Darcy went down, Treacy moved into the ruck and kicked 3 goals in the last.

Reckon he loves being involved up the ground, he will be fine to be 2nd ruck for a game IMO, also a good kick i50

In: Pearce, Voss, Walker
Out: Darcy, Aish, Draper / Cox

Cox looked really short of a gallop. Slow motion stuff. Hopefully just blowing the cobwebs, but maybe brought back a week too soon.
Pearce isn't happening if you believe Justin. Coxy seems to free up a little in the second halves. Same thing happened in the wafl last week. He starts off really slow and stilted looking, can barely bend over and then seems to warm up. Was a bit of a risk playing him on a cold, wet night.

Treacy has been great as a ruck/fwd

He scored most of his goals early season in that position, I specifically remember the Richmond game when Darcy went down, Treacy moved into the ruck and kicked 3 goals in the last.

Reckon he loves being involved up the ground, he will be fine to be 2nd ruck for a game IMO, also a good kick i50
Yeah he does a good job in the ruck. Not sure about having him bashed around in there though. Will probably only be for a week this time so it isn't quite so bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would bring Reidy in for Darcy. Josh is far too good to be playing second ruck.
You want to play with one less genuine key forward like voss to have liam reidy in? A guy who struggles to take more than 2 marks in the WAFL??

Honestly what is the logic here? You wouldn't rather play Jackson ruck and bring in a genuine key forward like Voss?

I can't understand the logic of this. Please explain?

This game scares me. Need the win. could be the difference between top 4 or fighting for 8th.

Would have preferred Darcy vs meek then Jackson vs meek. I'd bring in Reidy to keep the forward line chemistry the same, gives a sim match-up to Darcy for meek.

they described it as a 'hairline fracture' and claimed he wouldn't be out for long, but I haven't seen any specific calls on a time period

Sicily would be huge if he is out again next week
Lewis is out too you would think.
Expecting Sicily to get up. Strap up the shoulder.

To the people suggesting Reidy, Meek would wipe the floor with him.

Need Jackson to put in a big shift

Voss just kicked 6.3 at Peel, Shannon Neale (about as experienced as Voss) just kicked 2.2 against the Hawks, Voss will be fine coverage.

The Cats first ruck was Sam De Koning, who plays like TDK and Jackson, they managed to win by 50.

Jackson will be fine for one week here, Reidy would put us at a disadvantage in the ruck.

To the people suggesting Reidy, Meek would wipe the floor with him.

Need Jackson to put in a big shift

Voss just kicked 6.3 at Peel, Shannon Neale (about as experienced as Voss) just kicked 2.2 against the Hawks, Voss will be fine coverage.

The Cats first ruck was Sam De Koning, who plays like TDK and Jackson, they managed to win by 50.

Jackson will be fine for one week here, Reidy would put us at a disadvantage in the ruck.
I agree Jackson looked better when going into the ruck full time tonight after Darcy went off despite his timing being off.

He moved well around the ground.

Lloyd will get the taps but Dogga will be effective around the ground.

You want to play with one less genuine key forward like voss to have liam reidy in? A guy who struggles to take more than 2 marks in the WAFL??

Honestly what is the logic here? You wouldn't rather play Jackson ruck and bring in a genuine key forward like Voss?

I can't understand the logic of this. Please explain?

I would like to, personally, leave our rolled gold Key forward as a forward. I also like the mix of our three key forwards and I’d rather disturb the ruck mix with Reidy than take Treacy out of the forward line.

I’m also at the stage where I don’t want to risk Treacy in the ruck. To me, he’s moving into Pav levels as a forward. I don’t want him rucking

I would like to, personally, leave our rolled gold Key forward as a forward. I also like the mix of our three key forwards and I’d rather disturb the ruck mix with Reidy than take Treacy out of the forward line.

I’m also at the stage where I don’t want to risk Treacy in the ruck. To me, he’s moving into Pav levels as a forward. I don’t want him rucking

Additionally, I think structurally it is better for the team when Jackson tends to be more useful when he is second ruck and tall forward. Jackson is great around the ground but sometimes he is not the right primary ruck to match up on and having a more traditional ruck covers over that issue a lot better. When we lose, giving up strength in the ruck is often a cause.

The criticism raised by Boomer93 on Reidy is that he has only averaged 2 marks a game at WAFL, but that does not pick up the fact that he is playing almost entirely as a ruck and very limited time forward. For perspective Sean Darcy is averaging 1.4 marks a game this season (albeit at AFL level) pretty much as a primary ruck. On the rucking side though, if you want to point to stats Reidy is averaging around 40 hit outs a game and within games, he is one of Peel's most important players regularly giving them first possession from stoppages. Just like Voss, Reidy is dominant at WAFL level for his position. Like Voss, the question mark is how well that translates to the next level up.

As I said last week, I would rather the selection committee back in the best candidate from a team perspective. That replacement is a ruck replacement for Darcy. Making the structural choice at the selection table often ends up with the squad developing a fuller ability to cover injuries. They did it with Draper and Davies in defense when they could have tried to cover over the cracks with an undersized Hughes, and I think in the end the squad has grown stronger for it. For our team to grow to the next level, we need to have reasonable coverage all over the ground.

Don't get me wrong though, I fully expect that they will bring Voss in for Darcy.

Is Voss better than Reidy?

Personally I’d prefer LJ/Treacy/Voss over LJ/Treacy/Reidy.

In saying that if Reidy is ever to get a game this might be it.

As for other changes - we missed Walker as much as missing Darcy. Chapman isn’t the best match up on the slippery smalls. Chapman does his best work coming across fisting the ball and otherwise taking intercept marks. He is also good being freed up to create from backline. He played his best last night when matching up on the taller types. The lock down defender of small forwards is Walkers go. Yes some good marks on the lead (Walker has amazing closing speed however) but there was at least two of Bolton’s goals where Chapman left his man to play the role he is comfortable at leaving Bolton out the back. One he got sucked in between in no man’s land.

In: Walker, Voss
Out: Darcy, ??

Perhaps someone to be managed. I thought Aish played well last night. Hard call for the match committee.

Does Fyfe get a managed week and avoid travelling to Tassie.

I’d keep Walters as the sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back