Prediction Changes v Hawthorn (Round 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss for Darcy
If Pearce is fit, he’s in for Draper
Walker for ? I’d like to say Walters but we know they won’t drop him, so it’ll probably be Wagner.

If Voss has a decent game, keep him in over Banfield.

You want to play with one less genuine key forward like voss to have liam reidy in? A guy who struggles to take more than 2 marks in the WAFL??

Honestly what is the logic here? You wouldn't rather play Jackson ruck and bring in a genuine key forward like Voss?

I can't understand the logic of this. Please explain?
Think your opinion on Reidy is a little out dated. He was well off early in the season, but he's been a beast of late. He'll come into consideration, but yes Voss by far the most likely inclusion.

Voss for Darcy
Walker for ? I’d like to say Walters but we know they won’t drop him, so it’ll probably be Wagner.

nah surely aish is the most at risk of being dropped in that backline

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Voss has to be your first in. Travelling emergency a few times and just came off a bag in the WAFL.

Walker will come back. One of Wags or Aish will come out, probably Wags. Not that he deserves it.

Walters should stay sub. Maybe Sturt comes out if that knee is an issue.

Voss has to be your first in. Travelling emergency a few times and just came off a bag in the WAFL.

Walker will come back. One of Wags or Aish will come out, probably Wags. Not that he deserves it.

No way Wagner should come out…been very good for our drive.

Aish to Sub, Sonny out

Wags has been great, his run and forward entry through the corridor has been good. He.has also been really good defensively. But we are a top 3 team and there is real competition for spots.

Sturt has been much more physical since coming back in this year, but his agility seems to be hampered by his knee. I've really been impressed by his form, imagine how good he will be if he gets the knee right and can maintain his intensity to the contest. He might actually deliver on the potential he clearly has...

No way Wagner should come out…been very good for our drive.

Aish to Sub, Sonny out
Don’t think he should come out either. Just seems to be one of the last picked and idk if the coaches will favour Aish because of his versatility.

Additionally, I think structurally it is better for the team when Jackson tends to be more useful when he is second ruck and tall forward. Jackson is great around the ground but sometimes he is not the right primary ruck to match up on and having a more traditional ruck covers over that issue a lot better. When we lose, giving up strength in the ruck is often a cause.

The criticism raised by Boomer93 on Reidy is that he has only averaged 2 marks a game at WAFL, but that does not pick up the fact that he is playing almost entirely as a ruck and very limited time forward. For perspective Sean Darcy is averaging 1.4 marks a game this season (albeit at AFL level) pretty much as a primary ruck. On the rucking side though, if you want to point to stats Reidy is averaging around 40 hit outs a game and within games, he is one of Peel's most important players regularly giving them first possession from stoppages. Just like Voss, Reidy is dominant at WAFL level for his position. Like Voss, the question mark is how well that translates to the next level up.

As I said last week, I would rather the selection committee back in the best candidate from a team perspective. That replacement is a ruck replacement for Darcy. Making the structural choice at the selection table often ends up with the squad developing a fuller ability to cover injuries. They did it with Draper and Davies in defense when they could have tried to cover over the cracks with an undersized Hughes, and I think in the end the squad has grown stronger for it. For our team to grow to the next level, we need to have reasonable coverage all over the ground.

Don't get me wrong though, I fully expect that they will bring Voss in for Darcy.

The step up for rucks from WAFL to AFL is different to every other position. It's much easier for a ruck to be absoloutly dominant against WAFL rucks than AFL rucks. That's why I would want him having more to his game than hit outs.

Remember the dockers coaches watch Reidy compete with two AFL ruckmen every single day. They would see exactly how well he goes trying to win hit outs against Darcy and Jackson. And you can be sure he is going to do much less around the ground at AFL level, which already isn't a great deal at WAFL level.

If there is ever a position you should back the coaches in to make the right call its the ruck. It just doesn't translate to AFL well at all, and like I said the coaches are watching Reidy compete with AFL rucks every day at training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss for Darcy

Laughable take to drop Banfield. Previous years yes, this year he'd be contending for a top 10 finish in the B&F.

Top 5 - Young, Serong, Clark, Treacy, Pearce
Next lot - Ryan, Brayshaw, Jackson, Switta, Banfield/Sharp.

Laughable take to drop Banfield. Previous years yes, this year he'd be contending for a top 10 finish in the B&F.

Top 5 - Young, Serong, Clark, Treacy, Pearce
Next lot - Ryan, Brayshaw, Jackson, Switta, Banfield/Sharp.
lets not get carried away lol

I agree we don't drop him but It'll take a few more injuries for him to be top 10 B&F

No result will surprise me for this game.

We could win by 10 goals or lose by 10 goals. Hawks can play an impressive brand.

I think it’s fair to say we haven’t turned up twice this season: Eagles and Dogs.

Swans we semi turned up but just couldn’t convert.

Port and Carlton we were in it to the end.

If we turn up we should win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back