Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matchups on the Swans small forwards and midfield/forwards will be crucial in his game.
Warner looks like he is spending more time forward or a 50/50 split.
Heeney playing good footy all year and also is that forward/midfield dangerous player.
Then you have Papley
Justin McInerney i believe suffered a PCL injury on the weekend so he will be out which is a help to the Lions.
Gulden a super player and i think he may have played midfield v North but can go wing and forward

If Starch is available that will help.
We have Starch, Wilmot and maybe Brain then attacking players in Zorko and an underperforming (from 2023) McKenna.
McKenna was poor v Eagles and i wonder if they will give him another chance this week. Probably will.
Team defense will be paramount to get the win over the Swans.

Amazingly the bookies odds
1721010927677.png

Who knows what will happen to Charlie.
No suspension for me but what do i know.

The thing is if it was another player without previous concussion issues that player most likely gets up and plays on with no effects.
I wonder if AFL clubs are doing this test on players before they return.

A five-year study has found AFL players are likely returning to play from concussion with high levels of damaged brain cells, putting them at risk of long-term harm, even though they might feel fine.

However, analysis of their blood showed their brains had released elevated levels of the protein Neurofilament light (NfL), which is evidence of damaged brain cells.

Even more worrying was that the levels of NfL had doubled a week after the concussion and tripled after two weeks, all while players' symptoms had subsided.

Ralphy's doing his best to suspend Charlie:

risbane star Charlie Cameron seems certain to be suspended for at least three weeks for the dumping tackle that concussed West Coast’s Liam Duggan, as the league debates the legality of Toby Bedford’s dumping tackle on Tiger midfielder Tim Taranto.
Cameron’s coach Chris Fagan came to his defence after the Lions’ victory as he cited the lack of remonstration from Eagles teammates after the tackle.

But Cameron clearly wrapped up both of Duggan’s arms and then took four or five steps before driving him into the ground. He ended up falling on top of Duggan as he drove him to the ground, with the Eagles utility concussed for the second time since June.

The AFL looks at two factors - excessive force, and whether the player is in a vulnerable position - when it judges dangerous tackles.

Cameron is likely to have ticked both boxes for MRO boss Michael Christian, which means he would be guilty of a careless act which has to be assessed as severe force given Duggan’s concussion. It means Cameron, let off from suspension earlier this year after the tribunal assessed him as having a good record, would miss games against Sydney at home, Gold Coast away and St Kilda away.

The Lions have only just made an extraordinary leap into the top four after their horrible start to the season and those games will be crucial in them retaining that double chance.

He does it for all non-vfl players. Led the charge against Heeney as well. He knows who butters his bread.

The only alternative in the situation was for Charlie to completely let go of the eagles player. Is that what we are asking players to do?

The laziest part about the coverage is one person saying he took '4 to 5 steps' and everyone repeating it. The steps and mostly sideways as they wrestle for momentum, then forwards as Duggan pulls him back. the last couple of steps his toes are all that hits the ground because he has lost all control once Duggan began pulling him.

The more i look at it the more i think duggan actually pulled them back. BUT given the fever-pitch the media is at, and the fact we'll have headlines saying 'afl doesn't care about concussion', and of course him getting off earlier this year, means i am assuming 3 weeks

Three weeks ago they would've blown the whistle a few steps in and Charlie wouldn't have had to take him to the ground to finish the tackle.

To be fair the umpires are still quick with the whistles in a lot of scenarios but they definitely fall back on old habits as well. Mid season adjustment does them no favours even though it was something that needed to happen.

Whistle coming earlier is exactly what needed to happen to help prevent the situation. At the same time I do think Charlie didn’t have to bring Duggan to ground. I’d say both the umpire and Charlie made their own mistakes.

I’d bring in Starce for McKenna and see how Brain does in another full game but it will probably just be Starce for Brain.

Happy with Bruce as the sub again. It’s a fine plan to sub Morris off if he’s not having much impact.

I just cannot comprehend how anybody could call that action "driving him into the ground".

I've watched it back a few times and I'm genuinely not sure which starts first, Duggan pulling away to try break the tackle or Charlie taking steps forward. It's going to be a real spin the wheel MRP lotto call to be honest.

I think it's going to come down on strict liability for the tackler and charlie's suspension will be upheld. Doesn't sit right with me as 99/100 times this doesn't end in a concussion and he's not suspended, but this is probably where we are at.

Genuinely I can't think of any similar case in the last few years - they've all been ones with rotation where the head is pretty clearly at risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starce in for someone.

That’s the only change I’d make. Not sure who to take out.
I'd take out McKenna personally, he's been a defensive liability a fair few times this season, and his decision making with ball in hand leaves much to be desired.

I think Brain showed enough to persist with him in the seniors for an extended run.

I'd take out McKenna personally, he's been a defensive liability a fair few times this season, and his decision making with ball in hand leaves much to be desired.

I think Brain showed enough to persist with him in the seniors for an extended run.

The Dew avis are going to kill my reading comprehension

Animated GIF

I think it depends what we want our defence and transition out of defence to look like as they’re both very different players. I know McKenna has been in terrible form but removing him might make us look too one trick leaving zorks and motty to do a lot of heavy lifting.

I think we have seen with Fages a willingness to stick with guys through form slumps especially if it’s important structurally to how we want to play.

Charlie is screwed unfortunately.The trial by Melb media has concluded ,we are only awaiting sentence.
That’s how I feel and you just know in the 1% chance he doesn’t get sighted or gets off the tribunal that the moral compass Melbourne journos will be throwing the toys out of the cot in utter incredulous disbelief.

I mean some of the comments I’ve heard is that it is up there with Rankines off the ball dog hit which Starc played no part in unlike this incident where the ump was too slow to blow the whistle and Duggan also contributing in the incident.

The common sense journos are adamant he gets off and then the likes of King and Ralph who are saying it should be sent straight to the Tribunal given the seriousness of it. Well why wasn’t Rankine sent straight to the Tribunal?

That’s how I feel and you just know in the 1% chance he doesn’t get sighted or gets off the tribunal that the moral compass Melbourne journos will be throwing the toys out of the cot in utter incredulous disbelief.

I mean some of the comments I’ve heard is that it is up there with Rankines off the ball dog hit which Starc played no part in unlike this incident where the ump was too slow to blow the whistle and Duggan also contributing in the incident.

The common sense journos are adamant he gets off and then the likes of King and Ralph who are saying it should be sent straight to the Tribunal given the seriousness of it. Well why wasn’t Rankine sent straight to the Tribunal?
Given the seriousness of it? Jesus. Hyperbole.
I watched it a bunch of times. Is it the head clash that causes the concussion of hitting the ground with the back of his head? Duggan definitely plays a part in it, trying to shrug Charlie off but I'm not sure if that is taken into account?
The AFL will say he should have just stood his ground but I am not sure if that is a realistic option, especially if Duggan is attempting to back away from the tackle.
I'm unsure what the AFL expects players to do in some situations that end with a head knock, other than not playing footy.

You can’t judge things on the result. I hate what this game has become. 36 athletic 85/90/100+ kg men running around at a millions miles an hour from all angles crashing into each other and they think the going to stamp out all head knocks. If you not happy that you may wear a concussion at some point due to a normal in game movement/accident give back your 800 thousand dollars a year and do something about else. Maybe you can get a job the military or police force and risk being bashed or some phyco try shooting at you, or you can run into a burning house, or work permanent night shift in a servo to make ends meet. No one try’s to really hurt anyone in the AFL any more- there is going to be injuries- suck it up.

I think Charlie is gone.

We have lots of laws about self protection such as wearing seatbelts because we know people, especially young people, think they are invincible. A league and it's employees who make bank out of young people are always going to push the envelope. And spectators have always enjoyed watching others get injured for entertainment. Think Colosseum.

I agree with frost in the abc article - use the blood tests and make it a very simple, independent decision. Does the blood test show proteins from broken down brain matter increasing or significantly above baseline?

Obviously a lot more research is needed re baseline and how long it takes for levels to drop, but err on the side of caution and keep gathering data. If they are out till the level is 50% of the highest recorded its still better then what we do now.

It's players lives. And their children's, and even their children's children. Generational impact. More important than any footy result will ever be.

You can’t judge things on the result. I hate what this game has become. 36 athletic 85/90/100+ kg men running around at a millions miles an hour from all angles crashing into each other and they think the going to stamp out all head knocks. If you not happy that you may wear a concussion at some point due to a normal in game movement/accident give back your 800 thousand dollars a year and do something about else. Maybe you can get a job the military or police force and risk being bashed or some phyco try shooting at you, or you can run into a burning house, or work permanent night shift in a servo to make ends meet. No one try’s to really hurt anyone in the AFL any more- there is going to be injuries- suck it up.

The one fire-fighter I know has had lung capacity tests on more than one occasion. Always figured that was through work, but can't confirm if he was doing then himself. Wonder if there are test results of whatever that stop them from working.

People in mines have blood tests for heavy metal contamination and undergo chelation therapy to decrees levels while not being further exposed.

Do police get mental health assessments after incidents that can keep them out of the field?

The world has moved on from you choose to do it, suck it up sunshine.

The one fire-fighter I know has had lung capacity tests on more than one occasion. Always figured that was through work, but can't confirm if he was doing then himself. Wonder if there are test results of whatever that stop them from working.

People in mines have blood tests for heavy metal contamination and undergo chelation therapy to decrees levels while not being further exposed.

Do police get mental health assessments after incidents that can keep them out of the field?

The world has moved on from you choose to do it, suck it up sunshine.
Any of them making 800,000 a year for 9 months work? They don’t have to do it- that’s what I’m saying, they have a choice. Part of them making that choice is knowing there is a risk involved isn’t it. Concussion cannot equal suspention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back