Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember Tom14 - I am old, but not that far gone. Players mellow and Robbo was a passionate man. Everyone will respond differently to the end of their time and I’m prepared to cut him some slack. I loved what he brought to the Lions and I’m glad he had the second phase of his career with us.

Rightfully or unluckily Brain comes out for Starce.

Cameron out, Ashcroft comes off the wing and plays a defensive sm fwd/mid role. Reville comes back into the 22 taking back his wing position.

Brain stays in the squad and gets the sub role.

That covers the forced changes for Starces' return and Charlie's suspension with minimum disruption. I think Ashcroft when fwd could do a job on a Goulden or someone. Don't think he could handle Blakey.

Likely to be the only changes really. I wouldn't rest Morris here. I think our early scoring options and structures are better with him there. We're at home, he should be rested well.

I'm running with this,

Lester, Joyce, Starce
McKenna, Andrews, Zorko

Clugg, Neale, Fletcher
Big O, Dunkley, Berry

Ashcroft, Joe, Rayner
Bailey, Hippy, Lohmann

Wilmot, Reville, Ah Chee, Morris

Brain sub.

It's been a pretty settled and successful 23/24 players. No need to mess with it unless we have too.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter - the tackler has some sort of "duty of care" to the player they are tackling, to ensure they dont hurt them. Harley copped 2 games for the same thing, and his bloke didnt even get hurt.

I don't know if it applies in this instance but one problem with duty of care is players coming back too early making them more susceptible to another concussion from lesser head knocks.

players should not have to know which opposition players are more susceptible and manage that risk on field. Has to be a code risk management.

looked like duggan was trying to fend off with his left arm which was loose and Charlie was trying to pin it in before duggan lost balance and fell backwards
Absolutely. Duggan twists himself and they reach a point where Duggan actually drags Charlie on top of him. Look at his feet too. He takes Cameron’s feet off the ground. I reakon Cameron could easily get off if the club goes hard. I’d be calling in the biomechanics experts. Hard for Cameron to slam anyone into the ground if his feet are in the air.

Absolutely. Duggan twists himself and they reach a point where Duggan actually drags Charlie on top of him. Look at his feet too. He takes Cameron’s feet off the ground. I reakon Cameron could easily get off if the club goes hard. I’d be calling in the biomechanics experts. Hard for Cameron to slam anyone into the ground if his feet are in the air.

Perfectly reasonable and logical defense.

Only problem is that with the AFL, its MRO and it's Tribunal, there is absolutely no case for reason or logic

I assume the afl will argue his feet are in the air due to the leaping nature in his aggressive 'driving' tackle ;)

I don't even know anymore. I guess we're in the transition phase with duty of care/tribunal crackdown where the intentions and game outcomes are misaligned..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should use the good bloke defence again

Imagine the uproar if he gets off again with "good bloke" alone

Funny Face Lol GIF

Cameron is still not hitting the scoreboard that much but his efforts on team defence are some of the strongest in the side currently. See him pop up all over the ground and he's probably the best tackler on the list. Bailey really needs to lift in this aspect if we are to cover Cameron well.... unsure if he has that application in him
Bailey is an attacking style player first and foremost, his defending thoughts are secondary from what I've seen.
For mind there is no reason why he can't change that balance, just has to focus on that part of his game.
Then hopefully his awareness of where the opposition might exit will be a focus , could be the making of him, fix his tackles up.
Not getting too hopeful though, but we need him to change that balance especialy now.
So many players had a mare at tackling on Sunday, that is a worry against this team.

Rightfully or unluckily Brain comes out for Starce.

Cameron out, Ashcroft comes off the wing and plays a defensive sm fwd/mid role. Reville comes back into the 22 taking back his wing position.

Brain stays in the squad and gets the sub role.

That covers the forced changes for Starces' return and Charlie's suspension with minimum disruption. I think Ashcroft when fwd could do a job on a Goulden or someone. Don't think he could handle Blakey.

Likely to be the only changes really. I wouldn't rest Morris here. I think our early scoring options and structures are better with him there. We're at home, he should be rested well.

I'm running with this,

Lester, Joyce, Starce
McKenna, Andrews, Zorko

Clugg, Neale, Fletcher
Big O, Dunkley, Berry

Ashcroft, Joe, Rayner
Bailey, Hippy, Lohmann

Wilmot, Reville, Ah Chee, Morris

Brain sub.

It's been a pretty settled and successful 23/24 players. No need to mess with it unless we have too.

I'd do something different and let McKenna / Brain take turns to fill that forward spot of Charlie. We can send them there with a primary job of tagging Blakey and shutting down their rebound. If McKenna doesn't work we can switch Brain forward and see how he goes.

I believe both will have the pace and defensive nous to run down Blakey if needed. We don't need to replace Charlie the goal kicker, hopefully between Bailey/Rayner/mids we can cover the 2 goals. But we really need to replace Charlie the defensive forward and sending one of our small defenders to F50 might do the trick.

We need to dispense with the professional lawyers for the defence and get in as you say a biomechanical expert.... and a footy person eg. Nathan Buckley to testify.

This current AFL administration is doing everything they can to put fans offside aren’t they. They have very quickly looked NRL levels of incompetent.

This is a full contact sport, accidents will happen and players cannot break the laws of physics, this needs to be understood. I get there are all sorts of class actions and suing around but really, this is a massive overreaction.

This current AFL administration is doing everything they can to put fans offside aren’t they. They have very quickly looked NRL levels of incompetent.

This is a full contact sport, accidents will happen and players cannot break the laws of physics, this needs to be understood. I get there are all sorts of class actions and suing around but really, this is a massive overreaction.

Agree, the reparations should about being going back on the field after a concussion or before symptoms abated.

As for the AFL administration, they have done some changes that have had some serious flow on effects. Round 0 as well as a Gather Round - seriously disadvantaged many teams, changing HTB interpretations mid-year - everyone is confused, cracking down on dissent for some teams/players for a week only, Heeney's suspension guideline rule changes without taking notice of clubs complainants and not even replying to Sydney...

This is very controversial, as it changes the fabric of the game, but IF Charlie and especially Bedford are suspended for their tackles then the AFL is going to have to allow tackling (not tripping with the foot or hand), below the knees. So in essence a rugby league type tackle. This then allows the ball carrier to protect themselves with a free arm when falling and reduces the potential of concussions. Of course will result in players being able to dispose of the ball (via a hand ball) much easier as they are being tackled. Allowing tackling below the knees, will make the game quicker (less stoppages) and also does not reward the tackler and therefore would have a profound impact on the game.

The above sounds like BS, but seriously what are the options for players if Bedford (performing an almost perfect tackle) is suspended.

This is very controversial, as it changes the fabric of the game, but IF Charlie and especially Bedford are suspended for their tackles then the AFL is going to have to allow tackling (not tripping with the foot or hand), below the knees. So in essence a rugby league type tackle. This then allows the ball carrier to protect themselves with a free arm when falling and reduces the potential of concussions. Of course will result in players being able to dispose of the ball (via a hand ball) much easier as they are being tackled. Allowing tackling below the knees, will make the game quicker (less stoppages) and also does not reward the tackler and therefore would have a profound impact on the game.

The above sounds like BS, but seriously what are the options for players if Bedford (performing an almost perfect tackle) is suspended.
At first thought that idea sounds quite good, I used to watch a lot of Rugby League and I can not recall a concussion or serious injury from an around the legs below the knees tackle.

Of note is that the around the legs tackle in RL is nowhere near as common as it used to be when I was heavily into it in the 60s to 80s, the go to tackle technique now is multiple players attack the torso arms to stop the off load and to slow the play the ball down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back